The Black Crowes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is .net the crowes board? if so, fuck them. they are the biggest bunch of assholes (for the most part, i'm sure there's one nice dude). they hate everything post Souther harmony.

The official board was shut down some time ago. There are two others that I know of, one of which, I am not going to comment on. The other one is nice.

is .net the crowes board? if so, fuck them. they are the biggest bunch of assholes (for the most part, i'm sure there's one nice dude). they hate everything post Souther harmony.

Well if they don't at least like Amorica, they don't know what they're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the I ain't hiding link Analogman! I really like this one, and not what I was expecting at all. Do y'all think the crowd noise was added in, or is this a live track? They sound pretty tight (to my untrained ears) if it is live.

sg

As far as I know, all of the songs for the new album were recorded live in front of a crowd at Levon Helm's Barn. It remains to be seen (or should I say heard) whether they did overdubs or sprucing up after the fact.

my daughter texted me today just to let me know she was listening to the crowes' sound check from her apt balcony, which happens to be across from The Fraze.

I'm jealous......jealous, again.

The official board was shut down some time ago. There are two others that I know of, one of which, I am not going to comment on. The other one is nice.

I went to a show last year with some hardcore members of one of those boards which will remain nameless. They were very nice but pretty much spent the entire show complaining about how the band sucked without Marc Ford and how it does not compare to xxx show. Kind of sucked the life out.

I went to a show last year with some hardcore members of one of those boards which will remain nameless. They were very nice but pretty much spent the entire show complaining about how the band sucked without Marc Ford and how it does not compare to xxx show. Kind of sucked the life out.

This is my experience with one of thoe Crowes boards board...all they do is bitch about Marc Ford not being in the band (even though Ford quit) and how Luthor isnt as good live as Marc. Its like they dont care about the songs at all.

This is my experience with one of thoe Crowes boards board...all they do is bitch about Marc Ford not being in the band (even though Ford quit) and how Luthor isnt as good live as Marc. Its like they dont care about the songs at all.

Funny, I have been to at least 5 shows since the comeback and 3 of those after MF left and I have to say I did not hear any negative stuff at any of the shows. The board are always going to have that stuff. Just like people on this board always talk about the Jay Bennett period of the group we all love. So it is part of the nature of these things. Also, I really don't care if the other fans don't get the songs....I do.

I was just going to say. . .

But, Marc will always be better than who comes after him. At least, so far. A lot of those Luther shows I have heard sounded like a train wreck. I know they got it together at some point, and I do hope the new album is good.

I certainly prefer the Black Crowes with Marc Ford, no question about it. But the Crowes with Luther is still better than so many other bands out there, and still worth seeing.

I can't say I love the last album that much, but out of the most new releases I have bought in the last few years, I probably play it the most. I am looking forward to the new one. I still have that one show we found. I may have to listen to it this weekend, as I have not heard it in a while.

I can't say I love the last album that much, but out of the most new releases I have bought in the last few years, I probably play it the most. I am looking forward to the new one. I still have that one show we found. I may have to listen to it this weekend, as I have not heard it in a while.

I'm looking forward to the next one as well after hearing the rough cuts of the show. I wonder if Levon will be a guest on any tracks.

I meant to say - I don't always love the sound of the last album. Whoa Mule is a great song.

My own true love is a raven haired girl

Whose lives way back down the hollow

I take her by her lily white hair

And into the woods we wonder

Her daddy was a river man

As mad as a hatter

Her mama she's as soft as snow

But that don't really matter

There is some good stuff on there, I like "Wounded Bird" quite a bit. Black Crowes are still my go to band when I want to hear some more straight ahead rock and roll, especially when I have been listening to a lot of mellow stuff. I'm worried the next album will be too mellow but we will see.

I was reading something earlier that suggested that from here on out they are going to concentrate more on playing their own songs - as opposed to so many covers. I can't believe they still play Hard To Handle.

i just saw them on 07/10 at a festival, so the setlist was short. but it was still a great show. luther has definitely gelled with the band more. everyone talks about MFF being gone but i think they really miss ed. this new keyboard player, imo, sucks.

i just saw them on 07/10 at a festival, so the setlist was short. but it was still a great show. luther has definitely gelled with the band more. everyone talks about MFF being gone but i think they really miss ed. this new keyboard player, imo, sucks.

I would not miss Hard to Handle at all, it was never one of my favorites that they did. Of course I played it in a band for a long time and really got burned out on it.

I have to agree, it's hard to get used to ed being gone, I liked what he brought to the group more than Adam.

• 4 weeks later...

From Jambands.com:

The Black Crowes Will Now Release Before the Frost… and Until The Freeze on August 31

The Black Crowes have moved the release dates of the new studio albums Before the Frost… and Until The Freeze up to August 31. The albums were originally scheduled to hit stores in September. In addition, Chris Robinson recently produced the debut album for Truth & Salvage Co. The band is the first new artist released on The Black Crowes’ label, Silver Arrow Records through Megaforce Records and will spend the summer and fall opening for the Crowes. The Crowes’ tour will resume at Vienna, VA’s Wolf Trap on August 25.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am a couple of spins through the new "Before the Frost" album and I am liking it more than I expected. "A train still makes a lonely sound" might be the best song they have released in a long while. "What is home" sound like a lost CSN&Y track. "Make Glad" rocks like something from Amorica. "I ain't hiding" kind of sticks out like a sore thumb but it's growing on me, sounds different than anything else on the album. So far I like it better than the last 3 albums.

I've read some reports that Walmart already has the album out for sale. I may try to get over there later and see if it is out. I just some photos of the packaging - it looked pretty cool. Instead of doing it the way Wilco does, I guess there is a card of some sort in the package with a code number on it that you need to download the album they are giving away.