The Black Crowes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the Crowes would do something like Steely Dan or the Pixies and feature an entire record in concert. Preferably Southern Harmony or Amorica.

I think I read somewhere that they may do that with their first album next year. I don't know if I am fan of that sort of thing or not.

I think I read somewhere that they may do that with their first album next year. I don't know if I am fan of that sort of thing or not.

The reason I like it is it forces them to play even the more obscure songs off an album that you would normally never hear. Other than that it is a bit gimicky.

The reason I like it is it forces them to play even the more obscure songs off an album that you would normally never hear. Other than that it is a bit gimicky.

That's a good point. I don't ever need to hear Hard To Handle again though. I can't believe they still do that one.

I rather like these three songs from the first album: Twice as Hard, Sister Luck, and Seeing Things.

I think I read somewhere that there may be some sort of anniversary re-issue of the first album, and a tour featuring the songs. I can't recall where I read that though. It may have been in some interview with Steve that I read online.

If they do that, maybe they can do something about the sound, like Pearl Jam did with Ten.

I rather like these three songs from the first album: Twice as Hard, Sister Luck, and Seeing Things.

My2 favorite songs from that album. That's not an album I go back to much but those are 2 big reasons to do it.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of that sort of gig either but I did see Teenage Fanclub do Bandwagonesque and it was bloody great.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had Thick n Thin come on the ole Ipod shuffle on a jog the other day. I probably looked foolish jogging while playing air drums. love that song.

you know, I always think of that first record as a band that could have gone either way, late 80's hair band or what they became. I don't know what their true intentions were, but whatever happened to them between SYMM and SHAMC is quite startling or maybe it is just production quality. All I know, even though it takes me to be in a special mood, the Black Crowes esp Southern Harmony-Three Snakes flat out kill me. What a band. I'm anxious to hear their new one, I have it on loan at the library.

I don't see that - there is nothing "hair metal" about the band. Unless you just mean hit orientated, as opposed to an album orientated band. I have always thought they were sort of both. Or at least they use to be - not so much now though.

There first album is all sicked up, just like Pearl Jam's first album, and just like Nevermind (as far as that goes). I believe that was partly due to fact that other people had more say on the finished product than the band did.

I don't see that - there is nothing "hair metal" about the band. Unless you just mean hit orientated, as opposed to an album orientated band. I have always thought they were sort of both. Or at least they use to be - not so much now though.

There first album is all sicked up, just like Pearl Jam's first album, and just like Nevermind (as far as that goes). I believe that was partly due to fact that other people had more say on the finished product than the band did.

I think you are right, it is all production issues. However, in my mind I always think of bands like The Four Horsemen, Slaughter or who was the Chainsaw band in the late 80's, the lumberjack song, anyway when I think of the first Crowes record. Likely not because the music is in anyway similar, but because that is the stuff my brother was listening to.

I think you are right, it is all production issues. However, in my mind I always think of bands like The Four Horsemen, Slaughter or who was the Chainsaw band in the late 80's, the lumberjack song, anyway when I think of the first Crowes record. Likely not because the music is in anyway similar, but because that is the stuff my brother was listening to.

Jackyl

That's interesting. I'd say those bands were more blues/hard rock, than metal(except for Slaughter).

Four Horsemen... man, i hadn't heard that name in years... good memories of hanging out on their tour bus after a show in '91 and shooting the breeze with Haggis and Frank Starr... i was a little disappointed no drugs appeared, only beer ;–)

• 2 weeks later...