The Black Crowes

Gorman may be the Stirratt of the group. Anyone know why Gorman was not part of the band for brief stint in 05?

True. I have always figured it was about money, or maybe he was not sure he wanted to jump back into the madness. Chris treated him pretty bad towards the end of the first run of the band.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Stacy replaced Ford after he faxed his resignation two days before the tour.

After that tour, Luther joined for Warpaint, Stacey produced. Luther has been friends with both C. and R. for some time.

Rich and Luther did Circle sound which was a fun show and C. has appeared on stage with NMAS during 2004.

Luther is still with NMAS and is following the footsteps of Warren Hays. Just a lot more noodling.

Was not at all that happy with most of Warpaint. However there are some key songs I really like, including Whoa Mule and yes Gold In Them Hills.

Their most recent album BTF/UTF is great Luther again and Stacey produced, and they are even better live. Currently (despite Luther's noodling) they are in top form.

BTF was recorded in a live setting and I was a little apprehensive about how they would turn out in a "real" live setting and

the songs transformed into huge piano based blue jams that makes me think they are in top form.

I think you got some bad information.

I believe it goes something like this - Marc Ford in, Marc Ford out, Paul Stacey fills in temporarily, the bands picks Luther to fill the spot after Paul does what he was hired to do.

At least, that is what I have always read.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Benji Shanks is the dude's name. a talent second only to warren haynes in this genre. evidently this is not part of the official history of the band. luther must've been picked up b/c of his legacy and what cred he had.

Benji Shanks is the dude's name. a talent second only to warren haynes in this genre. evidently this is not part of the official history of the band. luther must've been picked up b/c of his legacy and what cred he had.

It is not true. The band and management were totally pissed off when Ford quit - two days before the tour was to start up again.

It also showed in their performance after Ford left and Stacey took over. Terribly bad compared to the year Ford just spent with the band. No way would C. or R. want to give that up for Stacey. Well maybe R. because of control issues (I kid I kid.... sort of)

They were so mad that management expressed their anger publicly.

Stacey filled in for the rest of the tour but was never NEVER going to be the guy.

They decided on Luther because he is awesome, because of the direction the band wanted to go, and because the brothers both played with him separately and got along with him quite well. Luther is currently touring with his band NMAS and will return to the Crowes later in the year and possibly another album.

Don't know anything about your friend, but to compare with Haynes is quite a leap. Not saying bullshit, but the guy must be a killer musician to be compared so highly.

marc's last album was pretty good but his first one is awesome.

I love Marc as a musician but I think he would make a better sideman. He just does not have the vocals to be the lead guy. I would love to see him find a really good singer and really put a project together but I think he is happy touring with his son right now and more power to him. Luther is definitely growing on me though.

• 4 weeks later...

I see. I really like the layout of the New Earth Mud website.

Chris Robinson and The New Earth Mud

February 10, 2003

Fine Line - Minneapolis, MN [ USA ]

Setlist:

Set One

Safe In The Arms Of Love

Sunday Sound

Untangle My Mind

Tough Mama

Blues Power

The Last of The Old Time Train Robbers

Kids That Aint Got None