The Black Crowes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be it has to do more with the fact that large groups of people follow them around, than the actual music they are making. That also happened to The Allman Brothers band. Of course, like a lot of these genre definitions, there is room for different interpretations, but still, there is also a core set of defining characteristics.

Ok, just got my hands on the new record (cd version) and I'm five tracks in. How good is this? I mean this truly shocking me how good this is so far. I enjoyed Warpaint, but by no means felt it was near as strong as earlier efforts. This however feels close to Southern Harmony-Three Snakes in vibe and peformance. You know that loose,druggy feel. This kicks so far! :dancing

Ok, just got my hands on the new record (cd version) and I'm five tracks in. How good is this? I mean this truly shocking me how good this is so far. I enjoyed Warpaint, but by no means felt it was near as strong as earlier efforts. This however feels close to Southern Harmony-Three Snakes in vibe and peformance. You know that loose,druggy feel. This kicks so far! :dancing

it's far & away my fave album this year & really approaching tops for the crowes. i cannot believe how great it is. i actually really dig the vinyl tracklisting. been meaning to create a playlist of it on my iPHone.

totally. they always get lumped in there. they're 'jams' seem to go places unlike most jam bands who, imo, have just pointless jams. i hate that.

Not sure I really understand this. What do you mean by "pointless" jams? Example? I like bands that can step outside the box and free-form a bit but I can usually sense the context of it. BC's I don't think of as a "jam" band but the tag is there for reasons A-man brought up and their overall feel-good vibe. The term has taken on a broad spectrum of bands much like most terms/categories do eventually.

This is great news. Really looking forward to it. They're in Denver in couple weeks and I was on the fence about the show due to other things going on that night, but....

Not sure I really understand this. What do you mean by "pointless" jams? Example? I like bands that can step outside the box and free-form a bit but I can usually sense the context of it. BC's I don't think of as a "jam" band but the tag is there for reasons A-man brought up and their overall feel-good vibe. The term has taken on a broad spectrum of bands much like most terms/categories do eventually.

I should say that there was a time when they were more apt to stretch out. I think the focus has shifted to the new songs. At least, that is what I have noticed looking at the recent set-lists, anyhow.

i can't think of any offhand. i'm really thinking of jams that just fall apart from the context of the song. it's just a personal preference i think. i really have a hard time staying with a song over 8 minutes though.

I guess you don't want a copy of my Mountain Jam boxset then. LOL.

I'm very surprised to be saying this but I would class Before The Flood/Untill The Freeze as my favorite album this year. Its a very strong record so I'm really looking forward to the live DVD. I lost touch with the Crowes after Amorica. Is Warpaint in a similar vein to the recent album. I do love the more 'country' vibe.

I still think the sound is a bit sterile or something to that effect. From what I have read, it was mostly recorded live, and at least one song was recorded outside. There are two vinyl bonus tracks out there to be had - if one looks. They are: Here Comes Daylight and Hole in Your Soul.

I really like the songs Oh Josephine and Whoa Mule.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched the Cabin Fever DVD last night and really enjoyed it. Such a great vibe up there at Levon's place. There is one scene with Levon in and I was shocked how frail he is looking these days. Some great performances though, including a lovely version of Fred Neil's 'Dolphins' as a bonus track.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.blackcrowes.com/

To Everyone Who's Cared:

Gladdest of tidings and happiest of New Years - so say all of us in The Black Crowes musical group!

Just a quick note to begin our future and a glance over our collective shoulders at what once was.

A heartfelt and sincere thank you is well in order, not just for the last tour, but for the last mystifying 20 years (WTF!). Without your support and interest we would be nothing but a void. With the breath of life, and the travels to and fro, a lump of clay is now a lifetime of song and adventure.

Thank you for letting us drive this outer space covered wagon to wherever fate and the wild winds take us.

Thank you for the freedom that music has gifted us and so many others.

As 2010 begins we would like to let you in on the next epic phase of Crowedom.

We just finished a new 20+ song set of Crowes' catalogue recorded acoustically with the full band and a few other friends. We're very excited about the session and feel it represents where we've been, who we are, and where we're going.

Expect more messages as the year progresses. Take care of yourself, that is take care of each other.

Love and respect....and the band played on.

THE BLACK CROWES

Thanks for joining in on our thread. I wonder what the deal is on that session?

I believe Chris just had a kid with his new wife, and will be taking time out for that. At least, that is what I saw somewhere online the other day.

I like it when they play acoustic shows. We get to hear songs such as Wyoming and Me, Non-Fiction, and Thunderstorm 6:54.

Thanks for joining in on our thread. I wonder what the deal is on that session?

I believe Chris just had a kid with his new wife, and will be taking time out for that. At least, that is what I saw somewhere online the other day.

I like it when they play acoustic shows. We get to hear songs such as Wyoming and Me, Non-Fiction, and Thunderstorm 6:54.

recently been talking with a drummer buddy of mine who is friends with the guitar player they brought in after the hiatus. he is the shit and evidently was ousted when the producer of warpaint said he wanted the gig. evidently that didn't work out as now they have the one trick pony of luther. mmm?

I think you got some bad information.

I believe it goes something like this - Marc Ford in, Marc Ford out, Paul Stacey fills in temporarily, the bands picks Luther to fill the spot after Paul does what he was hired to do.

At least, that is what I have always read.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

In fall 2006, the band fired Eddie Harsch and saw the departure of guitarist Marc Ford, who quit via fax on the verge of a fall tour. Replacing Harsch and Ford were Rob Clores and Paul Stacey, respectively. In August 2007, the band introduced keyboard player Adam MacDougall, who replaced Clores after less than a year on tour. In addition, The Black Crowes invited guitar player Luther Dickinson from North Mississippi Allstars to perform on their upcoming record, entitled Warpaint. Dickinson officially replaced Stacey as guitarist in November 2007.

I think you got some bad information.

I believe it goes something like this - Marc Ford in, Marc Ford out, Paul Stacey fills in temporarily, the bands picks Luther to fill the spot after Paul does what he was hired to do.

At least, that is what I have always read.

Interesting timing. I just read an interview with Rich Robinson and Luther Dickinson from a back issue of Guitar Player yesterday. That seems to be how things played out.

I would think much like Wilco, all of those guys are hired hands. I figure The Black Crowes are really Chris and Rich Robinson.

Gorman may be the Stirratt of the group. Anyone know why Gorman was not part of the band for brief stint in 05?