The Black Crowes

I wonder if any of the former band members might appear at some point doing this tour?

The Allman Brothers invited Dickey to play some shows with them last spring, so I suppose anything is possible.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf. i had no idea he had a new album. thanks for the update

No problem. I was told it is only being sold at his gigs right now, I know I did not see it on Amazon anywhere. Here is the cover:

fmfront.jpg?t=1277184530

Might be my favorite thing he has done. Some amazing guitar playing and some of the songs would not be out of place on an early Crowes album.

really? wow. i love that first album of his. last few have been quite hit or miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Another article - not much new info, really. I still have not seen a full tracklist for Croweology. I have not looked in a while though.

Black Crowes Hiatus Will Be 'Positive,' Says Chris Robinson

Unlike the group's split in 2002, Chris Robinson says the Black Crowes' "indefinite hiatus" after this year's 20th anniversary celebration is "a positive respite."

"The real story is it's been five solid years of touring and three records and DVDs, and it's more about having a little bit of space and taking a breath away from the thing," Robinson explains to Billboard.com. "This has easily been the most fulfilling and progressive time in the band in 20 years. I think everyone's in a good space, and our hiatus is for nothing but health reasons, mental and physical, and to have the freedom to do some projects with other people and raise the kids and stuff like that."

Robinson says the Crowes aren't putting time parameters on the break, either.

"It might be 18 months, it might be two years, it might be five -- I don't know," he says. "We'll get back together when we feel it's right. There's no end or beginning; it's, 'Let's just do some other stuff for a while, and we'll get back together when we feel it's right."

The group is certainly going out swinging, however. On Aug. 3, the Black Crowes will release "Croweology," a two-CD set of acoustic arrangements of 20 favorites -- including "Jealous Again," "Remedy," "She Talks to Angels," "Wiser Time" and "My Morning Song" -- recorded during December and January in Los Angeles. Robinson says the session was inspired by a pair of acoustic performances in 2008 at New York's Town Hall, and the disc seems like the best "musical acknowledgement of 20 years" since the release of the Crowes' five-times platinum debut album, "Shake Your Money Maker. "We want to celebrate what we've done," Robinson says, "yet it also needs to be us, and for us it needs to be something that feels very much like right now -- no re-living or rehashing."

The Crowes will continue that spirit when they hit the road for their Say Goodnight To The Bad Guys tour, which begins Aug. 13 in Milwaukee and wraps up 18 weeks later with a six-night stand at the Fillmore in San Francisco -- and includes a Sept. 11 induction into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Atlanta. Most of the shows will last three hours and feature a 90-minute "Acoustic Hors D'oeuvres" set, followed by an "Electric Reception."

"I know our band can be self-indulgent -- that's just our right," Robinson, who's hoping to produce other artists and record another solo album during the Crowes' hiatus, says with a laugh. "We kind of thought, 'Oh, it would be nice to do something different for the 20th anniversary'...and so songs we play acoustic on one night can be something else in an electric mode on another night. We can cover a lot of material in a lot of different formats, and it'll be cool for the fans; it's celebrating that these people have been coming to see us for so long. We don't take that for granted. Having a career is a privilege, it's not our right."

Another article - not much new info, really. I still have not seen a full tracklist for Croweology. I have not looked in a while though.

Black Crowes Hiatus Will Be 'Positive,' Says Chris Robinson

yes, i've been looking for a tracklist too. nothing to be found. i'm certain that chris will produce gary louris again and maybe olson/louris. i would also like to see something along the lines of new earth mudd. chris is a really good acoustic guitar player and when he sings quiet, it's good stuff. prolly wont be busting out Katey Dear anytime soon though:)

Over at Bt.etree someone taped/uploaded the show from July 3, 2010 - High Sierra Music Festival. Great sounding tape and I think they played a hell of a show. I don't own the Three Snakes record so I am not familiar with (Only) Halfway to Everywhere - liked it alot.

The Black Crowes

03 July 2010 - High Sierra Music Festival - Quincy, CA [ USA ]

S E T L I S T

1-SOUL SINGING

2-(ONLY) HALFWAY TO EVERYWHERE

3-SEEING THINGS

4-WISER TIME

5-POOR ELIJAH - TRIBUTE TO JOHNSON (MEDLEY)

6-DOWNTOWN MONEY WASTER ->JAM ->

7-THORN IN MY PRIDE

8-OH JOSEPHINE

9-HARD TO HANDLE -> JAM

10-BEEN A LONG TIME (WAITING ON LOVE)

11-REMEDY

- encore -

12-DON'T DO IT

Source

Studio Projects LSD-2-Naint Littlebox Transformer Pre-Edirol R-4

50 Feet back from Stage DFC- MIc's Set to Fig 8 90 Degree's for Blumelin Setting.

Recorded, Mastered and Posted by Pat Myers AKA DATPAT

I don't own the Three Snakes record so I am not familiar with (Only) Halfway to Everywhere - liked it alot.

Their best album in my opinion. I could listen to that thing once a day.

sounds great!

sidenote: please stop playing dear elijah. seems like everytime i see them, they play it.

They do play that a lot. You can't beat the original version anyhow.

Track listings for CD and Vinyl releases.

The Black Crowes

Croweology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD 1

Jealous Again

Share The Ride

Remedy

Non-Fiction

Hotel Illness

Soul Singing

Ballad In Urgency

Wiser Time

Cold Boy Smile

Under A Mountain

CD 2

She Talks To Angels

My Morning Song

Downtown Money Waster

Good Friday

Thorn In My Pride

Welcome To The Good Times

Girl From A Pawnshop

Sister Luck

She

Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye

VINYL SEQUENCE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side 1

Jealous Again

Share The Ride

Remedy

Side 2

Non-Fiction

Hotel Illness

Soul Singing

Side 3

Ballad In Urgency

Wiser Time

Cold Boy Smile

Side 4

Under A Mountain

She Talks To Angels

My Morning Song

Downtown Money Waster

Side 5

Good Friday

Thorn In My Pride

Welcome To The Good Times

Side 6

Girl From A Pawnshop

Sister Luck

She

Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye

yeah. don't like that choice. the rest sounds great though (hotel illness?!)

Good point - I could do without that one also. I wonder how many versions of Non-Fiction there are now. I love that song.

• 3 weeks later...

The Black Crowes Talk Tall Tales

“20 Years of Tall Tales” is the title of the web series The Black Crowes will roll out starting Tuesday, August 3, the street date for Croweology (Silver Arrow/Megaforce Records), their first-ever double album of all-acoustic material with new arrangements of their best-loved songs and deep cuts.

In a wide-ranging and freewheeling interview marking the 20th anniversary of their landmark multi-platinum debut, 1990's Shake Your Moneymaker, frontman Chris Robinson talks about where The Black Crowes, arguably one of the most misunderstood rock bands of all time, have been and where they are now.

Throughout the month of August, the band will release via their website (www.blackcrowes.com) one webisode per day. It’s all here: the highs, the lows, controversies, arrests, feuds and more. “20 Years of Tall Tales” was directed and produced by John Vanover and filmed earlier this month at Robinson’s Los Angeles home.

Fans will learn whether the band really did spend $1 million recording The Tall Sessions – found on 2006’s The Lost Crowes – an album that went unreleased for more than a decade. Robinson will talk about the band’s upcoming hiatus and reveal what really happened in the Denver convenience store that led to his 1991 arrest.

The following topics will also be covered: Was the band really fired from the Aerosmith tour before being reinstated? And what really went on in the studio the night the band held a bacchanalia for the Amorica album? What really drives the relationship between Chris and his brother, guitarist Rich Robinson? How did the union of The Black Crowes and Oasis on the “Tour of Brotherly Love” actually cancel out the feuds of both bands’ brothers?

The “Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys” tour begins Aug. 13 at the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee and wraps up with a six-night stand at The Fillmore in San Francisco (Dec. 12, 14-15, 17-19).

Most shows will feature three-hour performances with a 90 minute acoustic set followed by a 90 minute electric set.