• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51PFG5B6S5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yet another Hartley film. I suppose I should track down the sequel Fay Grim now.

I'm glad they finally stopped making movie posters like that.

:lol no doubt...my only complaint about the flick is that it had that 'late 90's on the eve of Y2K' feel to it...much like the poster. i wish it would have been done a little more tongue-in-cheek ala 'grindhouse'...then it would have been perfect.

innocence7wq.jpg

Innocence / dir. Lucile Hadzihalilovic / Belgium

One of the oddest, most beguiling, and most transfixing movies I've seen in recent weeks. It's about a group of prepubescent girls at a woodsy institution (a boarding school? an orphanage?) trying to navigate the mysterious rules and regulations of the community. Right from the start, when a new girl arrives in a coffin serving as her carriage, the movie is clearly operating on a metaphorical/symbolic wavelength; I read the entire thing as an allegory for how innocence eventually gives way to rigid expectations, whether social, physical, emotional, or political.

I thought it might appeal to you! It's realllly good and had me yelling at the screen.

I will have to look for it at the video store. Tonight, since Graham has returned :wub , we are going to a movie......

movieposter.gif

Bamako-OKK.png

Bamako / Abderrahmane Sissako / Mali / 2006

Sissako's fantasy conceit is to stage a mock trial in a dusty Bamako courtyard, with all of African society as the plaintiff, charging the World Bank, the IMF, and the international community of institutionalized exploitation of the continent--resulting in a neverending cycle of poverty and oppression. In between statements by "witnesses" (a breathtaking mix of philosophy, cogent number-crunching, howls of suffering, chanting songs, and sometimes even simple silences that speak volumes), the movie makes room for snapshots of everyday African life, snapshots that show a richness of spirit that refuses to be defined in terms of the consequences of globalization. It's angry, intelligent, and poetic all at once.

Dan_in_Real_Life_3.jpg

I kinda enjoyed this, but the really present surprise was the soundtrack. Sondre Lerche! I really liked the music, including his fantastic cover of Costello's "Human Hands".

we really enjoyed Young at Heart - though student discounts don't seem to exist anymore - well apparently they give student discounts on Thursdays. :huh

We have decided that we will now only rent and hit the $3 second run theatre form now on. We can't afford a night at the movies anymore. geez.

This was one of my favorite parts of the movie - the group does Sonic Youth's Schizophrenia

Miranda July Videoworks: Volume 1

51RzoPXlfTL._SS500_.jpg

Could've been more intense, but overall it was nice to see Bond getting his ass kicked around as a 00-newbie.

51YK53M9ETL._SS500_.jpg

Rides the fine line between corny and poignant. The cool trick of Coppola's is The Outsiders is not only set in the early '60s, but feels as if it was actually made in the early '60s. Wish I realized going in that it was the 113 minute rerelease, not the 91 minute original. "Complete novel" indeed - at times it felt like one.