• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be Kind Rewind.

Wasn't as good as Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but definitely was creative. Kind of cute. Mos Def's acting was really good. Jack Black was his usual self. Really good movie if you're into filmmaking or a fan of classic films such as Ghostbusters!

serenity didn't hold up for me much after a recent re-viewing.

just watched it again(first time since seeing the theatrical release), and I think it held up pretty well. my only complaint is, there wasn't enough Shepherd Book.

I really liked that film.

So did I. The soundtrack is also excellent.

It was the most accurate cinematic depiction of the 80s that I remember growing up in. It also excelled in its realism, particularly the dialogue, which I'd assume was partially improvised given the off-the-cuff and very natural interplay between the characters.

It reminded me of Kes in some respects, in that both concentrated on young boys who found some kind of freedom and sense of belonging, albeit in completely different ways.

The young boy, Thomas Turgoose, turned in an astonishing performance too.

jaccuse.gif

J'accuse! / Abel Gance / 1919

Recorded this from TCM a while back, and have finally made time for it. I'm about halfway through. Pretty darn cool.

my-winnipeg-poster.jpg

Of all the crackpots currently making movies, Guy Maddin is my favorite, and perhaps the funniest. I can't think of a more comfortable headrest than a corpse buried under the carpet.

I also finally got around to seeing Iron Man this afternoon. Great fun.

107930c.jpg

Short and sweet. There's some nice footage of Robyn working through some new songs in his garden as a bonus.

the_happening_poster.jpg

Scene for scene, The Happening is easy to watch--but as a whole it's profoundly silly, badly acted, ineptly directed, and devoid of verisimilitude. What a crock. (Still, it's better than Lady in the Water...)

the_happening_poster.jpg

Scene for scene, The Happening is easy to watch--but as a whole it's profoundly silly, badly acted, ineptly directed, and devoid of verisimilitude. What a crock. (Still, it's better than Lady in the Water...)

The first time I saw a commercial for that movie, I thought of this movie: The Langoliers (1995).

I almost went to see this today. I keep hearing that it blows. I figure, I better watch it to see what all the fuss is about. I'll probably check it out tomorrow.

B, just watched this last night...

SCHLOCK.jpg

'Schlock! The Secret History Of American Movies'

a fun doc as a whole, if just for the treasure trove of b-movie and exlpoitation footage. the interviews w/ some of the producers/directors/architechts of the genre were kind of fun too. granted, a little lacking in spots relative to coverage of other influential folks (Russ Meyer for example) and missing subsets w/in the genre (AIE's teenage monster/kicks films get a lot of play, but no their beach/surf movies).

it also makes an interesting case for how these type of films broke down a lot of barriers in hollywood and thusly should be considered more important than they may be today, which thinking about it...i kind of have to agree.