• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love_With_The_Proper_Stranger.jpeg

Recorded this last week, just got around to viewing.

A good film with a surprisingly controversial premise considering it was filmed in the early 60s; (Young couple seeking an abortion).

There's some great scenes throughout and strong performances by both Wood and McQueen. One scene in particular should be seen by any fan of either of these actors.

Hated the ending, but it's certainly not a waste of time viewing.

Repo Man is in my all-time top 25.

Me too. Probably seen it at least 10-15 times since I was a teen. I think I can still quote half the movie. It also has one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

The Great Debaters. I'm a bit of a sucker for glossy, crowdpleasing social-message movies.

I enjoyed this movie, but I think one of the central ideas of being a good debater is being able to defend positions squarely opposed to your own. I wish we would've seen that portrayed.

the-mist.jpg

The Mist is one of the best "genre" flicks I've seen in ages. Truly unsettling. A lot of people disliked how the movie makes its social criticism explicit, but that's exactly what I loved about it. And I think I could lead an entire class on what this film says about fear, desperation, and fanaticism. What it condemns and endorses isn't always obvious. SPOILER:

The religious imagery is especially confounding; among many others things, consider how the wacko's death is framed to give her a cruciform pose, and how the shocking Abraham's sacrifice at the end suggests that mankind does, indeed, have something to pay for