• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

200px-Brand_upon_the_brain.jpg

In Guy Maddin's Brand Upon the Brain!, a mad inventor dies, is buried under the tide, then exhumed and re-animated via jumper cables, then locked in a harp box for thirty years. Later, he's abducted and burned upside-down at the stake. And that's just for starters.

Loved it.

Today, two silent films by Hitchcock: Champagne (1928) and The Ring (1927).

Both are marked by innovative visual flourishes, but both stories--in the first, a socialite angers her father by eloping, while in the second, a prizefighter's marriage crumbles as his career takes off--are light melodramas. The Ring has a tighter, more complete structure, while Champagne has a greater sense of humor.

GoodBandEasyKillPoster.jpg

I know there are some fellow Beulah fans around here, so I thought I'd mention that A Good Band Is Easy to Kill is available OnDemand. I'm watching now.

GoodBandEasyKillPoster.jpg

I know there are some fellow Beulah fans around here, so I thought I'd mention that A Good Band Is Easy to Kill is available OnDemand. I'm watching now.

such a great music doc, fan or not...of which i am, so it was even that more enjoyable. going to have to peep that again, been too long.

Fog_of_war.jpg

I had always meant to see this movie. It was thoroughly depressing to be able to compare the doomed events of Vietnam that McNamara talks about in hindsight with the current state of affairs in Iraq and see that we truly haven't learned from our mistakes. That egos of a few people and human nature will always play a huge role in the events that shape our world. I also had a few teary-eyed moments while watching the Vietnam footage and thinking about my father having to experience it. And the shot of people filing past the war memorial in DC brought back a memory I didn't even know I had of visiting there with my parents when I was very young and having my mom lead me away to leave my father alone in his thoughts as he found names of his friends.

Great film, but a real downer--in two senses, really. A downer to see the horrible times of war in past generations, and a downer to realize that we're in the same place today.

A bright spot though.....after finishing The Fog Of War, I turned on this:

6o18g40.jpg

And learned that eventually The Milky Way and Andromeda will collide and wipe out all existence. So there's that to look forward to at least.

I had always meant to see this movie. It was thoroughly depressing to be able to compare the doomed events of Vietnam that McNamara talks about in hindsight with the current state of affairs in Iraq and see that we truly haven't learned from our mistakes. That egos of a few people and human nature will always play a huge role in the events that shape our world. I also had a few teary-eyed moments while watching the Vietnam footage and thinking about my father having to experience it. And the shot of people filing past the war memorial in DC brought back a memory I didn't even know I had of visiting there with my parents when I was very young and having my mom lead me away to leave my father alone in his thoughts as he found names of his friends.

Great film, but a real downer--in two senses, really. A downer to see the horrible times of war in past generations, and a downer to realize that we're in the same place today.

What I loved about this movie is learning about McNamara's experiences working for Ford and in WWII. I had no idea what important contributions he had made to those endeavors. The Vietnam material was strong, too, but it wasn't much that he hadn't said before already.

Now watching TCM's 24-hour marathon of Laurel & Hardy. Except for two, I've seen them all before, but there are some genuine classics on the slate worth re-visiting.

Now watching TCM's 24-hour marathon of Laurel & Hardy. Except for two, I've seen them all before, but there are some genuine classics on the slate worth re-visiting.

I don't have that station (where's the Stan Laurel weeping smiley?)

Tell_No_One_(2006).jpg

I saw this over the weekend and thought it was fantastic. I read the NY Times review this afternoon which describes it as Vertigo meets The Fugitive by way of The Big Sleep - which I think is a very apt way of explaining this densely plotted thriller in a short cut style way. Anyway, it is easily one of my favorite films of the year thus far. Anyone else seen it?

Also saw Tropic Thunder the other day ... which had its moments. Downey was great. And I gotta get me some Booty Sweat.

I saw this over the weekend and thought it was fantastic. I read the NY Times review this afternoon which describes it as Vertigo meets The Fugitive by way of The Big Sleep - which I think is a very apt way of explaining this densely plotted thriller in a short cut style way. Anyway, it is easily one of my favorite films of the year thus far. Anyone else seen it?

I caught Tell No One at last September's Milwaukee International Film Festival, and it was definitely one of the most purely entertaining movies I saw there. Terrific fun.