• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weeds - This season's getting pretty out there.

PBS Frontline: From Jesus to Christ: The First Christians - Very interesting. Covers the death of Jesus to Constantine's conversion. It's four hours long, though.

Started watching Control last night, but I lost interest quickly and managed to watch only about an hour of it.

That makes two movies (this and 24 Hour Party People) that have left me underwhelmed by Joy Division/Ian Curtis. I guess I just don't get it.

EDIT: Finished it last night. Depressing.

514E+r7x89L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's nice to finally have this on DVD. I saw it on TV many years ago, but never got to see the whole thing.

51YVZZH6DNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Hadn't seen it, so made a point of it today to go get it from the library and watch it. I enjoyed it, Sam Elliot's narration was awesome, as was the entire movie.

Man, I could fucking watch this fucking movie every fucking day.

John Goodman is hysterical. One of the best comedic performances of all time.

Watched these 2 this weekend:

u63507h17ov.jpgu62268likhn.jpg

21 was horrible. The story as told in the book is much more interesting. Kevin Spacey and Laurence Fishburne really should be a bit ashamed. Persepolis was okay, but not quite what I wanted it to be. I was hoping for more historical/cultural insight and a little less personal memoir.

Man, I could fucking watch this fucking movie every fucking day.

John Goodman is hysterical. One of the best comedic performances of all time.

To be honest, my initial reaction to the movie was "What the fuck just happened?" Then, I realized, just as the Dude does, the film abides, and so the gates to heaven opened before me, and I was blessed.

To be honest, my initial reaction to the movie was "What the fuck just happened?" Then, I realized, just as the Dude does, the film abides, and so the gates to heaven opened before me, and I was blessed.

I think everyone's first reaction is "what the fuck".

But if you get over that, it's brilliant.

the_counterfeiters_quad.jpg

The Counterfeiters / Stefan Ruzowitzky / Germany / 2007

Based on a true story, this Holocaust drama tells of a Jewish counterfeiter sent to the camps and given special treatment in exchange for designing world-class forgeries of the British pound and American dollar. It's a unique and sophisticated story, concerned less with atrocity than with the peculiar, ambiguous morality of this man's circumstances and decisions.

I saw a bunch of films at the Toronto Fest over the past few days. Here's my quick take on what I saw:

The Wrestler - Darren Aronofsky - USA (9/10) - Mickey Rourke is riveting, giving the performance of his career as a past his prime wrestler trying to salvage his life. It will be a crime if he doesn't get an Oscar nomination for this.

Sexykiller - Miguel Mart

Remember those awful Microsoft ads with Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates? Well, now you can forget them. Microsoft flacks are desperately dialing reporters to spin them about "phase two" of the ad campaign
511vJmUeGTL._SS500_.jpg

such a brilliantly funny show. after seeing this, I can't really think of a comedy that tops it.

Yeah, I really thought I'd never love a comedy as much as Arrested Development, but Spaced is absolutely on that level. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

--Mike

51RkAMYwAuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Stephen Frears' The Deal is much smaller in scale than its sequel, The Queen, but it's equally smart, suspenseful, and brilliantly acted.

I rewatched Hud this week. That movie is criminally awesome. I don't have a favorite movie, but if someone put a gun to my head and made me pick one it'd definitely be in the running. So insanely good.