When Patrick Duffy started hosting that Bingo America show on the Game Show Network, the first time Al saw it he said "Hey, that's the Man From Atlantis!" I bet he was the only person in the universe who said that.

Old dude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After watching all of just about all of the David Attenborough's series over the past couple months, I started this the other night: planet_earth.jpg

I can't recommend it enough, especially if you have even the slightest interest in nature. The budget was over $25 million and it shows. There's lots of beautiful, intimate scenes throughout - rarely seen snow leopards at their den, an aerial view of a wolf pack on the hunt, polar bear babies romping around and tons of gorgeous scenery. I thought I'd be disappointed after all of Attenborough's "Life of..." series, but I am very impressed. And a bonus - David Attenborough narrates the series! I love that man.

I think that in this age of suburbs and technology we are so divorced from nature that we tend to ignore it unless it's some kind of catastrophe. I'm lucky enough to live a a place that has an abundance of State Parks, from beaches to mountains, and though living in the redwoods has its inconveniences, it is a majestic, wondrous place. This film reminded me of that, and just how nice it is to get up at sunrise and walk while watching the birds and deer and coyote and the sunlight through the changing maple leaves.

Got this from Netflix and am going to watch it tonight:

2570813480_99fd65e8a5.jpg

I'm a huge Herzog fan and I can't wait. :dancing

3829thumb.jpg

Yung Chang's Up the Yangtze is an interesting documentary about the impact of China's Three Gorges Dam, the largest hydroelectric project in the world. It weighs the national benefits of such a large-scale public-works project against the human stories of those pushed aside for the sake of progress, including those impoverished residents forced to re-locate due to the new flooding.

"Off the Grid; Life on the Mesa"

Documentary about hippies, patriots, nut jobs and runaways living in the desert in New Mexico.

Mildly interesting.

If looking for a documentary about desparate people, "Streetwise" still leads the pack.

Last 4 films watched:

511JRVEGK1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg 41938B3B7PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51GSCM4EKPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51whXKUIxUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

To Live and Die in L.A. - Other than the dated synth-music, the film is a pretty great thriller. I liked the gritty and realistic approach of the film.

My Man Godfrey - One of the great screwball comedies. Powell and Lombard a perfect combo.

To Catch a Thief - I've been revisiting some Hitchcock films over the past few weeks. This one is fairly lightweight, but fun and well written. Cary Grant is almost always terrific.

Charade - Another great Cary Grant film. Audrey Hepburn is equally good in this.

I don't think I've ever heard of this. Two of my favorite movie stars. Huh, thanks!

Very entertaining thriller/mystery/comedy with a few twists. It's directed by Stanley Donen, but this would have made for a good Hitchcock film. Seeing that you like Grant and Hepburn, this is sure to satisfy. You also get James Coburn, George Kennedy and Walter Matthau, so a good cast all around.

Wow! Great cast!

On Saturday I watched Piece of the Action, one of the Bill Cosby/Sidney Poitier '70s vehicles. Rides a fine line between kitsch/cool, and still totally entertaining. The presentation of 'Stevie Wonder's entire catalog' to one of the heroes at the end sent it through the roof for me.

The Illustrated Man (1969)

Rod Steiger plays the tattoo-covered title role in this fascinating vision of doom and danger based on the classic short story collection by futurist Ray Bradbury. Robert Drivas portrays a good-natured drifter who can't tear his eyes from Steiger's freakish illustrations. And Claire Bloom is the mysterious seductress/witch from the future who created the "art" that curses its bearer - and comes to life in a nightmarish trio of tales. Two spoiled children turn playtime into slay time (from The Veldt). Shipwrecked astronauts wander across a planet cursed by The Long Rain. And loving parents choose their children's fate when the end nears (from The Last Night of the World). Every one of The Illustrated Man's pictures tells a story.

The Who At Kilburn

Also - picked this up tonight - it's not the greatest Who show(s) I have ever seen, but still, it's pretty cool. The Coliseum show is pretty dark, as it was not lighted for filming, whereas, the Kilburn show was professionally shot by Jeff Stein, so the film is magnificent, but the performance is a bit ragged.

I did not like Synecdoche, New York. Maybe someday after I've read more about it and Charlie Kaufman's intentions in making it, and discussed it with others who appreciated it, maybe then I'll have some level of admiration for it, but whether or not that happens, it will not change the fact that watching this film was one of the least enjoyable experiences in a movie theater I've ever had.

I did not like Synecdoche, New York. Maybe someday after I've read more about it and Charlie Kaufman's intentions in making it, and discussed it with others who appreciated it, maybe then I'll have some level of admiration for it, but whether or not that happens, it will not change the fact that watching this film was one of the least enjoyable experiences in a movie theater I've ever had.

I just read a review of this last night in Entertainment Weekly (yeah, I know) and it wasn't pretty. A grade of D, I think.

I just read a review of this last night in Entertainment Weekly (yeah, I know) and it wasn't pretty. A grade of D, I think.

I've read multiple reviews now that acknowledge the dullness of it while praising its scope and calling for repeated viewings. Man, I just don't have time to be bored by movies. Sorry Charlie.