7%20Women.jpg

7 Women / John Ford / 1966

I've never been a huge fan of John Ford, but this story, about a strong-minded, liberated, atheistic female doctor at a Christian mission in China, is one of his most underappreciated films. While it offers an intriguing moral crisis--what happens when the values of sacrifice and purity are at odds?--it's notable primarily for the emphasis on women (rare for Ford) and a withering critique of dogma and self-righteousness.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marx Brothers double feature: Monkey Business (1931) and Horse Feathers (1932). Two of their better ones.

2149901887_d011f74658.jpg

can't believe i let it languish in the netflix que for so long. fucking stunning...20+ years later and it still looks better than a lot of CGI FX megafilms of today.

Werd. Some great acting in that too - one of Hauer's best performances and Harrison Ford is a great non-hero hero who gets the crap kicked out of him quite a bit.

innocence7wq.jpg

Innocence / dir. Lucile Hadzihalilovic / Belgium

One of the oddest, most beguiling, and most transfixing movies I've seen in recent weeks. It's about a group of prepubescent girls at a woodsy institution (a boarding school? an orphanage?) trying to navigate the mysterious rules and regulations of the community. Right from the start, when a new girl arrives in a coffin serving as her carriage, the movie is clearly operating on a metaphorical/symbolic wavelength; I read the entire thing as an allegory for how innocence eventually gives way to rigid expectations, whether social, physical, emotional, or political.

I watched this last night with four other people and really enjoyed it.

The great thing about the film is the diversity of feelings/reactions it illicits from it's audience.

The ambiguous nature of the story has the ability to evoke a wide range of emotions from viewers and leads them to various conclusions.

Discussing the film afterwards we found it rather telling of the individual's nature as to what they believe eventually happens to some of the characters and the resolutions to the situations they are faced with.

Very cool, very beautiful. Extremely thought provoking and probably not for everyone. It requires a certain degree of patience and an audience that is comfortable with the fact that they will pretty much have to draw their own conclusions given the film leaves so much to the imagination. I found it refreshing and a real treat.

Tks for posting it here.

Chicago Cubs

2149901887_d011f74658.jpg

can't believe i let it languish in the netflix que for so long. fucking stunning...20+ years later and it still looks better than a lot of CGI FX megafilms of today.

Just how many freaking versions of this are there?!?!?!

SpongeBob SquarePants.

I dont have cable (since 1995) so my exposure to this cartoon has been very low. The kids wanted it though....so Netflix was kind enough to send a compilation of season 1 recently. OMFG, this is an instant classic. Mr Crabs? Great! Patrick? Hysterical! Bob? He's pretty good too! I'm 40 years old and not ashamed to say-I LOVE SPONGEBOB.

Just how many freaking versions of this are there?!?!?!

Anyhow' date=' a number of different versions of the film have appeared including the original theatrical cut, the international cut, the much sought-after 'workprint' version and the rushed 'director's cut' that stunningly didn't even include the director's input.[/quote']

~ 5 via my blog

lg_paranoia-agent_volume-01.jpg

I'm a fan of Kon Satoshi, so I wanted to take a look at his 2004 TV series Paranoia Agent. Compelling stuff, but not my favorite work of his--that would probably be Millennium Actress, or maybe Perfect Blue.

This week I also spent a little time brushing up on my early John Wayne Westerns. Obviously these B-movie cheapies aren't very good films and have only historical interest, but sometimes small hints of inspiration sneak into the rigid formulas. For example, The Desert Trail presents two bickering cowboys always undermining each other--usually over a girl--but underneath the discord lies a very believable, lived-in friendship of mutual respect and trust. Their rapport belongs in a much better movie.

The Desert Trail (1935)

Rainbow Valley (1935)

I watched 2 movies this weekend.

u54521fpkuy.jpgcloverfield_galleryteaser2.jpg

Across the Universe is one of the worst movies I've see in a while. Horrible singing and choreography. Cloverfield was fun. Glad I didn't see it in the theater. That camera work on the big screen would've made me puke for sure.

theonionmoviedvd.jpg

Amazing movie. One of the funniest movies I've seen in a while.

divingbutterfly2vzper19.jpg

I also enjoyed this. I like foreign flicks but all the reading does a get a little tiresome. Amazing true story and well made movie.