i was going to try and catch that this weekend...now i'm thinking i'll wait until the DVD. i don't put that much creedence in reviews, but they've been pretty horrible.
Don't wait for the DVD...the whole thing hinges on all those candy-colored psyched out visuals. It won't be the same at home unless you've got some killer home theater thing going on. The only swearing incident that shocked me was when Speed said, "Get that shit off my track!" at one point. It was pretty blatant and just seemed pretty unnecessary for a kiddie movie, which this no doubt is. There was another scene in which a race commentator is bleeped. It would have been awesome if the Wachowskis had actually set out to make this a flick for nostalgic grown up Speed Racer fans but it really falls short of being gnarly enough for that. I'm sure the flaws in the finished movie probably come from some kind of compromise made in an attempt to satisfy the movie profits machine. Also, Christina Ricci is annoying as all get out as Trixie.
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when the mach 5 uses it's auto-jacks to go airbourne does it make that 'CHOWCHOWCHOWCHOWCHOW' sound? if so, that's nostalgic enough for me.

funny enough, the original speed racer that aired in japan (as 'Mach Go Go Go') wasn't actually aimed at kids, it was a primetime animated series before they dubbed it in english/cleaned it up a little and aired it here in the states.

for those of you playing at home, that img is supposed to be a poster for the 3-D epic 'spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone'.

pedro, i really do dig your pal's blog...please tell him to update regularaly. i also submit that you should do something similar...not just the photo thing. just a thought.

charlie wilson's war. would have been better I think without Julia Roberts (I can't watch her and suspend disbelief that it's not just Julia Roberts acting), not that she hasn't done decent work before. Phillip Seymour Hoffman became an "I'll see any movie with ________ in it" actor for me so long ago and it's paid off.

The rhythms and visuals felt like network TV to me--but, it should be said, really smart network TV.

What did you think of Cloverfield, Charlos?

I enjoyed it for the most part. I agree with what you posted about the framing always working out perfectly. I liked the concept. It was a cool way to tell a story and one that could of been told countless ways from different perspectives. If anything it was fun. I did learn that there are apparently no overweight people in New York City. I had no idea.

LakeOfFirePostersm.jpg

Lake of Fire is a documentary about the topic of abortion, at least as it pertains to the culture wars. Long, sprawling, gruesome, totally gripping.

"Network" with Faye Dunaway and William Holden.

Somehow, I'd never seen this one before.........a very insightful film on the nature of media and the state of the world (and how corporations own both the world and the media).

This should be required viewing for thoughtful people everywhere.

In_the_shadow_of_the_moon_poster.jpg

Great doc if you are fascinated by space and awed by the men who were able to land on the moon. I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Lovell once and I have the utmost respect for these guys. Not just the astronauts, but also the physicists and everyone on the ground. There is some tremendous footage that I can't believe doesn't get shown more often.

"Network" with Faye Dunaway and William Holden.

Somehow, I'd never seen this one before.........a very insightful film on the nature of media and the state of the world (and how corporations own both the world and the media).

This should be required viewing for thoughtful people everywhere.

one of my favorites.

LakeOfFirePostersm.jpg

Lake of Fire is a documentary about the topic of abortion, at least as it pertains to the culture wars. Long, sprawling, gruesome, totally gripping.

u50476po9m0.jpg

A fascinating documentary about a very bizarre and self-important American sub-culture. Billy Mitchell may be one of the world's biggest jerks of little consequence.

I'd like to see both of these.