Yes, it's definitely a lot of drugs to be taking at the same time. I doubt the same doctor would even prescribe all those to the same person. It doesn't mean he wanted to die, though.

I agree, and like I said, I stand corrected..

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, and like I said, I stand corrected..

At the end of the day, only he knows. You could be right- and he could have had a deal like Elvis had going on - money + power = you can do yourself in more easily.

Guest David Puddy

god, perscription drugs scare me.

or, i should say that our culture has lead us towards them through advertising... that scares me. i have trouble falling asleep probably 2 or 3 nights a week - just lie there wishing i was sleeping yet wide awake - and i've seen ads for lunesta and ambien and thought "maybe i should ask my doctor about those" but then i realize "i'm going to come home drunk one night and think i need a sleeping pill because i regularly take them, wind up taking too many, and never wake up"

i certainly don't mean to bad mouth heath ledger, as i really liked him, and perhaps he didn't mean to kill himself, or perhaps he did, i don't care, i'm just sad he's dead, but to me, there's something severely wrong with you, emotionally, if you're taking that concoction of drugs.

doesn't anyone value the efficacy of therapy anymore, or just need a quick fix from a pill?

Or maybe you're just suffering from anxiety, pain, and sleeplessness.

Yeah. I'm not sure about taking multiple-kinds of meds for each of those conditions, but hey, I'm no pharmacist. I'm guessing the overdose was accidental, but that is definitely quite a load.

i certainly don't mean to bad mouth heath ledger, as i really liked him, and perhaps he didn't mean to kill himself, or perhaps he did, i don't care, i'm just sad he's dead, but to me, there's something severely wrong with you, emotionally, if you're taking that concoction of drugs.

doesn't anyone value the efficacy of therapy anymore, or just need a quick fix from a pill?

Yeah I agree. Heath had big probs no matter how you look at it.

well, i read the news today about his accidental overdose and it prompted me to finally watch brokeback mountain. as a result, i have enjoyed being sad all day. powerful film in the wake of heath's death. it also totally reaffirmed the reality of the human condition and the fact that love and conflict are part of the mystery. a very sad and amazing film to me.

c

He also was apparently a drug abuser with a tremendous appetite/tolerance for legal and illegal substances.

It's a whole new generation of kids with money and unscrupulous doctor/pushers more than happy to take some of it.

How easy it is to buy an untimely death in this country.

Oxycontin, in and of itself is not to be messed with, Oxycontin as part of a full on drug cocktail is just asking for trouble. Like elsewhere in the country, Oxy is becoming pretty serious issue up here in NH, to the point at which we

I read in this a.m.'s paper that it was a mix of prescribed drugs for anxiety and sleeping disorders. Oxycodone (a derivitive of oxycontin, but still different) being one of them, not oxycontin.

These were prescription drugs. The article said no doctor would precribe the mix of drugs found in his body (oxycodone, Viacodin, etc.). It's not hard get scrips from different doctors, though. It was noted that greater alerts need to be on the meds to warn of unintentional overdoses.

Regardless, he mixed too many pills.

I also don't think it's a new phenomenon for people to get scrips from different doctors (or elsewhere) and make their own cocktails with them. Really, his death is nothing new in terms of o.d.-ing.

I read in this a.m.'s paper that it was a mix of prescribed drugs for anxiety and sleeping disorders. Oxycodone (a derivitive of oxycontin, but still different) being one of them, not oxycotin.

These were prescription drugs. The article said no doctor would precribe the mix of drugs found in his body (oxycodone, Viacodin, etc.). It's not hard get scrips from different doctors, though. It was noted that greater alerts need to be on the meds to warn of unintentional overdoses.

Regardless, he mixed too many pills.

I also don't think it's a new phenomenon for people to get scrips from different doctors (or elsewhere) and make their own cocktails with them. Really, his death is nothing new in terms of o.d.-ing.

It's not hard to get a bunch of something from one doctor either - if you know where to go. There was a case in PA or here I forget which, where a doctor was giving some ladies all the pills they wanted in exchange for sex.

Exactly. We had a scare last year when my mom took what she thought was one ambien pill and her arthritis pill when in fact she had taken two ambiens. Not fun watching her flip out, seriously.

I have only read rumors about this boy, and heard about the video of him using allegedly large amounts of coke. Seen the fallout of the relationship with his child's mother, supposedly due to his partying. I don't think it's all simply speculation that he lived on a dangerous edge.

I'm sure the reports are true that he suffered from anxiety and sleeping disorders. I guess it seems important to ask the question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

I don't know what his intention was when he swallowed all of those pills. Probably the desire to stop suffering. A therapist once told me something in reference to my sister that I have remembered for years; "A suicide attempt usually does not arise from the desire to stop existing, but from a desire to stop suffering."

I think that what all of us seek, but there are really no short cuts to getting there, dammit.

"A suicide attempt usually does not arise from the desire to stop existing, but from a desire to stop suffering."

Interesting. I never really thought about it that way, but it makes complete sense. And I guess in this scenario (i.e., Ledger's overdose), it doesnt matter if he intentionally, or unintentionally, or accidentally committed suicide. It seems pretty clear that he was intentionally trying to stop suffering.