• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other poster is sugggesting that heroin has the same active ingredient as oxycontin, codeine and any number of opiates that come in pill form, which is true, but not quite the same thing.

point is that its all opioids or opiates. synthetic or derived from opium.

I really enjoyed Phish until 99/2000. Frankly, I was glad to see them part. The music really sucked before hey parted. If they do get back together, I would hope for a change of how they did things. They just kept wanting things to get bigger and bigger until they were not enjoyable anymore. Too many hipsters ,druggies and hangers on towards the end. I know there were many rumblings about drugs in the band towards the end. My feelings would be mixed over any reunion.

saw phish in 92 in a really small room, bogarts in cincy. anyway, i remember just hoping the band would not become cliches and get into drugs etc. alas, they did. too bad. those were fun days.

JerseyMike where did you hear they had been jamming???

I thought thats when they stopped jamming and started playing well. 97,98,99 Phish is WAY better IMO and I saw them first in 89

true, 89 was rough, but there was a point, probably before hoist when they really prided themselves on coming out and playing Rift, It's Ice, Fluffhead, Guyote note for note and doing all that crazy shit on stage that was totally planned out.

craig

If phish gets back together, it's going to make me feel like even more of an idiot for sitting in 28 hrs of traffic and giving up and parking my car on the highway and hiking/hitchiking 15 miles from the highway with my tent and sleeping bag on my back to Coventry for their last show ever.

I sort of hoped that in honor of me and the thousands others who did that, that they would not reunite.

And while I have not listened to Phish in years (I like to tell people that I am a recovering Phish addict), their best period was 93-97.

Although I have moved on from their music and basically hate every single other jamband that preceded and followed phish, Trey seems like a really good guy. I hope he can work through his demons. I am rooting for him.

I agree with this, favoring the latter half of this period. I didn't pay much mind to Phish after '89-90 or so but have gotten back into them the last couple of years.

Yeah, IMO there really isn't even a discussion. 93-97 is hands down the best period. 96 was a bit weak, but each of 93, 94, 95 and 97 were great. And I'd take anything before 93 over anything after 97. Sadly, after 97, the only highlight (for me) was 12/30/99 - 12/31/99. I made it to those two shows also. Only 15 hrs of traffic getting in to that one. Ahh, the good old days.

Maybe I should go put some shows on for kicks now. The numbers 6-22-94 will forever be etched in my mind. I can see the Maxell tapes in my mind's eye now.

I think the incredible free-form yet cohesive jams they did in "Simple" (most notably from '97 shows) is my favorite piece of thing they've ever done.

I'd like to buy you a beer sometime.

Those Simple moments are definitely top moments for me too. I think my favorite is that moment in YEM. There was some crazy dude who used to review YEMs on andy gadiel's page in the old days. I think he called it the "nirvana" moment? Jeez, andy gadiel. I am dusting off some cobwebs. Did anyone else here check out gadiel's page? Haha, oh man. I can't believe that was 13 years ago...

(NP: 12/6/96) :)

If phish gets back together, it's going to make me feel like even more of an idiot for sitting in 28 hrs of traffic and giving up and parking my car on the highway and hiking/hitchiking 15 miles from the highway with my tent and sleeping bag on my back to Coventry for their last show ever.

so ... was your car still there after the show?

Those Simple moments are definitely top moments for me too. I think my favorite is that moment in YEM. There was some crazy dude who used to review YEMs on andy gadiel's page in the old days. I think he called it the "nirvana" moment? Jeez, andy gadiel. I am dusting off some cobwebs. Did anyone else here check out gadiel's page? Haha, oh man. I can't believe that was 13 years ago...

Charles Andrew Dirksen did those crazy reviews.

I got so many tapes from that dude. Oh....the days.

so ... was your car still there after the show?

It sure was. Along with the thousands of other abandoned cars on that highway. One of the most surreal moments of my life. They (actually, Mike) announced on the radio that there was too much flooding at Coventry and they weren't letting any more cars in. So, people got out of their cars -- literally left them on the highway -- and started walking. 15 miles with tents and sleeping bags and whatever else they could carry.

Charles Andrew Dirksen did those crazy reviews.

Yep, that's it. Charlie Dirksen.

:cheers I'm down.

Amen.

i checked gadiel's page religiously!! glad he is getting some props here. as i said, early 90s to 97 were amazing years. coming from the dead frame of mind, it was impossible to call a song at a phish show. they could open with anything and had so much energy. it was also fun being with a band from the beginning, starting in small venues and getting bigger etc. and hearing new tunes and how they might change on record. also, hearing how songs changed. just a real special time. not to mention they toured like mother fuckers and played everywhere. not just 5 venues like the dead!

alas, i am a recovering phish addict too. listen to rift once in a while and might pick up page's album. other than that, i am burned out!

c :stunned

Listening to 8/13/93 right now, coincidentally ... just all around fantastic.

08-13-93 Murat Theater, Indianapolis, IN

1: Lengthwise-> Llama, Makisupa Policeman-> Foam, Stash, Ginseng Sullivan-> Fluffhead, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Horn, David Bowie

2: Buried Alive-> Rift, Bathtub Gin-> Ya Mar, Mike's Song-> Lifeboy, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony-> Suzy Greenberg

E: Amazing Grace, Highway to Hell

alas, i am a recovering phish addict too. listen to rift once in a while and might pick up page's album. other than that, i am burned out!

c :stunned

Like you, I used to be really into Phish. I used to frequent Gadiel's page from inception, all the way until he started jambase. I used to catch 10-15 shows a year until 2000 when I realized I just wasn't into it anymore. The music had become less interesing and the performances sloppy and lacking diversity. I stopped going to shows then and have since only heard the stuff they did after the first hiatus. I wasn't impressed with very much of it save for a couple moments of brilliance here and there. I still enjoy when their songs come up on my ipod and even put on Story of the Ghost the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit. You have to admit, though, Fall of '97 was pretty hot.

1: Lengthwise-> Llama, Makisupa Policeman-> Foam, Stash, Ginseng Sullivan-> Fluffhead, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Horn, David Bowie

2: Buried Alive-> Rift, Bathtub Gin-> Ya Mar, Mike's Song-> Lifeboy, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony-> Suzy Greenberg

Oh yeah! :dancing

I stayed away from posting here because I was sure it would turn into a raging flame-out against all things Phish, so I'm really happy that it has not. thanks everybody for that.

I quoted your post farva because imo the best period of the band began in August '93 and continued through December '95 (at least). '94 is THE year imo. They had those incredible whiplash-inducing changes in styles from song to song and the amazing free-form improvs were really starting to take shape (5/7 Tweezer, 12/29 Bowie are two that immediately come to mind). It eventually evolved into "Space Camp '95 (Summer)" which was as far out as you can go while still being essentially a rock and roll band.

After that there was nowhere else to go for awhile except for more song-based material ("Billy Breathes" - onward). Of course we all know this now but the 10/31/96 "Remain In Light" signified the new direction they would take in '97 and beyond.

I personally did not care for the Cow Funk when I first heard it live - it seemed the crazy time signatures and arrangements were being replaced by two chord jamming...I thought at the time they were realizing that they had "made it" so there was no real reason to work so hard (especially in Trey's case).

Now, listening to the second decade at home on the couch, it is really good stuff to just lay back and groove on. I looove the Cypress stuff - it sounds unique to my ears. Almost ambient, hypnotic if you will...

I just want to mention also that if you haven't heard the 5/29/94 Split Open and Melt check it out....my favorite version of a favorite tune. Extremely gnarly jamming on that one.

Oh yeah! :dancing

I stayed away from posting here because I was sure it would turn into a raging flame-out against all things Phish, so I'm really happy that it has not. thanks everybody for that.

I quoted your post farva because imo the best period of the band began in August '93 and continued through December '95 (at least). '94 is THE year imo. They had those incredible whiplash-inducing changes in styles from song to song and the amazing free-form improvs were really starting to take shape (5/7 Tweezer, 12/29 Bowie are two that immediately come to mind). It eventually evolved into "Space Camp '95 (Summer)" which was as far out as you can go while still being essentially a rock and roll band.

After that there was nowhere else to go for awhile except for more song-based material ("Billy Breathes" - onward). Of course we all know this now but the 10/31/96 "Remain In Light" signified the new direction they would take in '97 and beyond.

I personally did not care for the Cow Funk when I first heard it live - it seemed the crazy time signatures and arrangements were being replaced by two chord jamming...I thought at the time they were realizing that they had "made it" so there was no real reason to work so hard (especially in Trey's case).

Now, listening to the second decade at home on the couch, it is really good stuff to just lay back and groove on. I looove the Cypress stuff - it sounds unique to my ears. Almost ambient, hypnotic if you will...

I just want to mention also that if you haven't heard the 5/29/94 Split Open and Melt check it out....my favorite version of a favorite tune. Extremely gnarly jamming on that one.

I couldn't agree with you more on this entire post. I loved '94 and caught some gems that year, including 5/7/94 Bomb Factory. I was in awe of the band's ability to get so far out there and remain so tight. That Split Open and Melt you speak of is one of the reasons that song is among my favorite Phish tunes.

was there! pretty much caught every midwest show during the 90s. $20 for tix....

anyone at cincy music hall, summer 94 i believe when the fire alarm went off and the entire place had to evacuate? we got back in and the band played Fire, hilarious. they didn't set break either, just jammed out.