From jambands.com:

Tom Marshall Offers Additional Thoughts On Trey Sessions

This morning, in a PopMatters story, Robert Costa wrote that Tom Marshall has been recording and writing with Trey Anastasio for the past four months and suggests that Anastasio is eager to perform with Phish. In a portion of Costa's conversation with Marshall that did not appear on PopMatters, Marshall explains, "I have the old Trey back, which is incredible. He's happy and I'm happy. The magic word is happiness and we've got it back.

"We're just laughing and giggling and writing funny songs," said Marshall about his sessions with Anastasio at Rubber Jungle studios in Saratoga Springs, New York, "Whatever it turns into--that is like is our motto. We just turn my lyrics and turn Trey's musical ideas into a song. Once it's a song, then it can go anywhere.

"Right now we're all over the map. I've got a lot of stuff stored up, he has a lot of stuff stored up. We're just happy. We sit down and look at each other and I sit down on the drums, which isn't really my instrument and start doing a beat. He'll grab the bass, which isn't his instrument as you know, and we'll record a song like that. Then he'll play me something he's been thinking about for three months and I'll try to add lyrics to it. It's incredible that way we don't have to reintroduce ourselves to each other, it just happens. Music is spilling off of us and we're just relishing the moment."

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome news.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play together in a surprise appearance before coming back with an announced gig.

Does anyone wanna recommend a live phish disc? I have the halloween shows were they do Remain In The Light and Loaded, I've also got volume 12.

Awesome news.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play together in a surprise appearance before coming back with an announced gig.

Does anyone wanna recommend a live phish disc? I have the halloween shows were they do Remain In The Light and Loaded, I've also got volume 12.

Any of the following are essential imo:

#2 - 7/16/94 - a crazy sick Antelope - lots of yelling and screaming, and a fantastic Hood

#10 - 5/7/94 - the uber Tweezer - segues in and out of a number of tunes.

#20 - 12/29/94 - one of best loved Bowies - very experimental

Yeah, I'm a sucker for '94. :stunned

#10 - 5/7/94 - the uber Tweezer - segues in and out of a number of tunes.

Isn't that 18? I like 10 too though:Live Phish, Vol. 10 - 6.22.94 Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Columbus, OH.

I don't know if you are specifically looking for Live Phish releases, but don't forget these other live releases:

Live At Madison Square Garden New Year's Eve 1995

Vegas 96

and Colorado '88 is fun too for some historical perspective. Also, not my favorite era for Phish, but the Island Tour is a fan favorite.

I like 10 too though:Live Phish, Vol. 10 - 6.22.94 Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Columbus, OH.

I had this bad boy on a Maxell tape for years and it was the show that made me fall in love with the band back in college. Well, the first set at least. I dont think I had the second set on tape. So, this one is near and dear to my heart.

I do think it's somewhat odd that there is some weird timing with me dipping my toes back into the Phish catalog (it hasn't really held, but I listened to a couple of shows last week) and Trey and Tom getting back together. :shifty

Trey's getting back together with the "original TAB" ... although not the real original power trio - good to see him getting out and playing:

http://www.apwfestival.com/event/lineup/tr...and-classic-tab

I'm surprised. Didn't Tony have some deep seated resentment towards Trey after he disbanded the group. Looks like no horns. I miss the Truth in his jumpsuit dancing on stage. I played with Grippo once and everytime I saw him no matter where it was, he was in that black jumpsuit. Then when he showed up to play the show with me he was in one of the nicest suits I've seen in my life.

I'm surprised. Didn't Tony have some deep seated resentment towards Trey after he disbanded the group. Looks like no horns. I miss the Truth in his jumpsuit dancing on stage. I played with Grippo once and everytime I saw him no matter where it was, he was in that black jumpsuit. Then when he showed up to play the show with me he was in one of the nicest suits I've seen in my life.

Pretty fucking cool.

I've seen Trey will his solo band quite a few times. I preferred the band he had prior to the fall 05 tour. The big band was incredible. One of the shows I caught was the headlining set at bonnaroo 04. Great show; still listen to it; the classical set was really special. Although it was shame so many didn't "get it".

Guest Moses

this might be more appropriately posted in the lyrics/tabs section, but...

for those of you that play guitar i found this site, Emil's Tabs, last night. as far as i can tell so far, the tabs on here are really good.

i've decided to tackle The Divided Sky. i'll check back in like 10 years when i figure it out...

I really liked what Trey did with The Duo in GRAB, and Mike and Leo Kotkee together were amazing. As for a Phish reunion, I'd be all for it. It'd definitely be fun to spend another weekend with them at Alpine or Deer Creek.

I had this bad boy on a Maxell tape for years and it was the show that made me fall in love with the band back in college. Well, the first set at least. I dont think I had the second set on tape. So, this one is near and dear to my heart.

I do think it's somewhat odd that there is some weird timing with me dipping my toes back into the Phish catalog (it hasn't really held, but I listened to a couple of shows last week) and Trey and Tom getting back together. :shifty

6.22.94 is an absolute monster. A must have recording of the band at their peak. Unbelievable energy.

You need to hear the second set. The string of madness to start the second set is one of my all time faves:

2001->Mikes->Simple->Catapult->Simple->Icculus->Simple->Hydrogen->Weekapaug .....Nuff said :worship

6.22.94 is an absolute monster. A must have recording of the band at their peak. Unbelievable energy.

You need to hear the second set. The string of madness to start the second set is one of my all time faves:

2001->Mikes->Simple->Catapult->Simple->Icculus->Simple->Hydrogen->Weekapaug .....Nuff said :worship

Oh, haha, if that's the second set, that's what I had on tape. Not the first set. Probably my favorite set of many. :)

Great great show. The Harpua in that one always makes me laugh. "Jimmy..... your cat got hit by a comet!" Classic.

edit: oops, that was 7/16/94 I was thinking about...

Oh yeah. The 6/22/94 Icculus (paraphrased) - "You might be in game 7 of the NBA Finals. I don't care if you're Kareem, Hakeem, Shaleem, any of those people...you are NOTHING if you haven't READ THE FUCKING BOOK! READ IT! IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!

One of the craziest things I've ever heard.

13 years ago this week - the beginning of Summer "Space Camp". Arguably one of the most improvisational tours in the history of rock and roll. At the time it was fairly controversial - many had a tough time dealing with the length and scope of the jams, but the band was playing with a lot of confidence and it seemed to be a natural progression from what had taken place in '94. One thing's for sure - Phish never was any farther out than they were on this tour. Where else to go after this?

6/10/95 - Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison CO

I: Makisupa Policeman > Llama, Prince Caspian, It's Ice, Free, Rift, YEM > Hold Your Head Up > Lonesome Cowboy Bill > Hold Your Head Up, Suzy Greenberg

II: Maze, Fee, Uncle Pen, Mike's song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Amazing Grace, Sample In a Jar

E: A Day in the Life*

* first performance of ADITL. YEM segued into a HYHU vocal jam. The Mike's Groove clocks in at over 32 minutes.

13 years ago this week - the beginning of Summer "Space Camp". Arguably one of the most improvisational tours in the history of rock and roll. At the time it was fairly controversial - many had a tough time dealing with the length and scope of the jams, but the band was playing with a lot of confidence and it seemed to be a natural progression from what had taken place in '94. One thing's for sure - Phish never was any farther out than they were on this tour. Where else to go after this?

6/10/95 - Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison CO

I: Makisupa Policeman > Llama, Prince Caspian, It's Ice, Free, Rift, YEM > Hold Your Head Up > Lonesome Cowboy Bill > Hold Your Head Up, Suzy Greenberg

II: Maze, Fee, Uncle Pen, Mike's song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Amazing Grace, Sample In a Jar

E: A Day in the Life*

* first performance of ADITL. YEM segued into a HYHU vocal jam. The Mike's Groove clocks in at over 32 minutes.

I was fortunate enough to see every note Phish played at Red Rocks (every note Trey played too!). Their '93 debut at the venue was, for me, when the band really took the "next step." I had been seeing them for years at that point, but you could really feel they were turning the corner. I drove up from Crested Butte where I was living at the time of these '94 Red Rocks shows. This one was great, but of course is overshadowed by one of their all-time greatest performances the following night.

ETA:

D'oh! I misread the date. I thought this was 6/10/94. Never mind. This was good too, but the previous two years' shows were better. :P

6/17/94 Eagles Auditorium, Milwaukee WI

II: 2001 > Sample, Poor Heart, Mike's Song > Simple > Mike's Song > I Am H2 > Weekapaug, Harpua > Kung > Harpua, Sparkle, Big Ball Jam, Julius > Frankenstein

E: Sleeping Monkey, Rocky Top

* This is the infamous "O.J. Show", played on the night of the Bronco chase. 2001, Mike's, Jim, and Poor Heart all included references to O.J.

I have a pretty skeevy AUD of this show (I think we've discussed the Eagles' shitty acoustics on here) but it's still crazier than hell - worth a spin if ya have it.

Thanks for the news Aman. :thumbup

Today marks the anniversary of Phish's first show at Deer Creek (6/19/95). One of the best shows I ever saw them do - maybe even THE best. The vocal jam in YEM was just unreal. It was so reminiscent of the Mothers' "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" record - I was definitely hooked for life by this point!

I saw the GD for the final time 2 weeks later at the same venue. There was no argument by this time - Phish had taken over.

Phish Reuniting In Studio With Steve Lillywhite?

Phish

June 20, 2008 , 6:00 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Could Phish be ready to reunite? According to an online report, (Posted Wed, June 11, 2008 at 11:33 am by Todd Levy

Well I'm not much for Phish reunion rumor mongering (despite my headline on this post about Phish at the Jammys and Trey's hints to Rolling Stone) but I just received an email with a rumor that supposedly originated from Jon Fishman himself...

The short version: Phish is definitely reuniting and there will be a new Phish album produced by Steve Lillywhite, who produced Billy Breathes over 12 years ago.

Stay tuned for more and keep your fingers crossed! I know I am. UPDATE: So while this post has generated a ton of traffic and discussion on other message boards, please remember, it's just a RUMOR.)

the beloved jam band will do exactly that at some point in the near future, when it hits the studio to make an album with producer Steve Lillywhite.

Phish broke up in August 2004 following a blowout concert in its home state of Vermont. Of late, rumors have heated up that a reunion might be in store, based on comments guitarist Trey Anastasio has made in interviews.

All four members were also on hand in New York last month to accept a lifetime achievement award from the Jammys, but did not perform live or address the possibility of a reunion. A Phish spokesperson was unavailable for comment at deadline.

Lillywhite previously produced Phish's 1996 album "Billy Breathes." Through a spokesperson, he offered a "no comment" to Billboard when asked if he was planning to work with the band again. At present, Lillywhite is in Dublin recording with U2, with whom he's collaborated for three decades.

Since disbanding, Phish's members have released a wealth of solo and collaborative music, often featuring each other. Due up next is an album from bassist Mike Gordon, "The Green Sparrow," due Aug. 5 via Rounder, which features guest turns from Anastasio and keyboardist Page McConnell.

Phish's Web site has also offered the regular release of archival live material. Due Aug. 5 is the double-DVD set "Phish Walnut Creek," taped July 22, 1997, at the Raleigh, N.C., venue of the same name. Fans who pre-order from the site will receive a 75-minute bonus audio CD featuring performances from prior Walnut Creek shows.

Thanks moe for the post. :cheers Now, go bust out that 6/26/95 and listen to one of the sickest DWDs ever done! :thumbup