:lol

I did my stats once back during the FIRST hiatus. I saw 10 additional shows post-hiatus, ending with NYE in Miami 2003.

There are 105 shows chosen

Sunday 5/21/89

Friday 12/29/89

Thursday 4/5/90

Friday 4/6/90

Saturday 4/7/90

Wednesday 4/18/90

Thursday 4/19/90

Friday 4/20/90

Saturday 4/21/90

Sunday 4/22/90

Tuesday 10/30/90

Wednesday 10/31/90

Friday 11/2/90

Saturday 11/3/90

Sunday 11/4/90

Wednesday 3/13/91

Friday 3/15/91

Saturday 3/16/91

Sunday 3/17/91

Friday 3/22/91

Saturday 3/23/91

Sunday 10/27/91

Monday 10/28/91

Wednesday 10/30/91

Thursday 10/31/91

Friday 11/1/91

Saturday 11/2/91

Friday 4/3/92

Saturday 4/4/92

Sunday 4/5/92

Monday 4/6/92

Tuesday 4/7/92

Thursday 5/14/92

Monday 8/24/92

Monday 12/28/92

Tuesday 12/29/92

Wednesday 12/30/92

Thursday 12/31/92

Tuesday 3/9/93

Friday 3/12/93

Saturday 3/13/93

Sunday 3/14/93

Thursday 3/25/93

Friday 8/20/93

Wednesday 12/29/93

Thursday 12/30/93

Friday 12/31/93

Friday 6/10/94

Saturday 6/11/94

Friday 12/30/94

Saturday 12/31/94

Friday 6/9/95

Saturday 6/10/95

Saturday 9/30/95

Monday 10/2/95

Tuesday 10/3/95

Thursday 10/5/95

Friday 10/6/95

Saturday 12/30/95

Sunday 12/31/95

Sunday 8/4/96

Monday 8/5/96

Tuesday 8/6/96

Wednesday 8/7/96

Monday 12/30/96

Tuesday 12/31/96

Saturday 8/2/97

Sunday 8/3/97

Friday 8/8/97

Saturday 8/9/97

Sunday 8/10/97

Monday 8/11/97

Sunday 11/16/97

Monday 11/17/97

Friday 11/28/97

Saturday 11/29/97

Sunday 11/30/97

Saturday 12/6/97

Monday 12/29/97

Tuesday 12/30/97

Wednesday 12/31/97

Saturday 8/1/98

Sunday 8/2/98

Monday 8/3/98

Friday 10/30/98

Saturday 10/31/98

Saturday 11/7/98

Sunday 11/8/98

Monday 11/9/98

Friday 11/27/98

Saturday 11/28/98

Sunday 11/29/98

Monday 12/28/98

Tuesday 12/29/98

Wednesday 12/30/98

Thursday 12/31/98

Saturday 7/24/99

Sunday 7/25/99

Monday 7/26/99

Sunday 10/3/99

Thursday 12/30/99

Friday 12/31/99

Wednesday 9/27/00

Friday 9/29/00

Saturday 9/30/00

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is making me feel old. :lol

Can't this wait till I'm old?

Can't I live while I'm young?

:guitar

Great post, Matt. I feel much the same as you. As much as I look back and laugh at what was then, I cannot help but feel the goodness of Trey, Page, Mike and Fish. What a fantastic band! I'm glad I have my memories.

In part as a result of the fact that this thread is alive and kicking, I went back to listen to some of my old phish shows. I basically haven't listened to Phish since I hiked those 15 miles out of Coventry. The band broke up and I used that as an excuse to break away too. It was time for me to move on. I thought everything went pretty downhill after 12/31/99 (and even after the Island Tour as we were saying before) so Coventry was my last swan song.

Then I basically spent the next several years reconnecting with my roots (Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Costello, Lowe, ), discovering bands like Wilco, UT, Son Volt, and other "indie" type bands, and sort of laughing off what was a "phase" I went through with Phish. I picked up guitar myself and gravitated to the singer-songwriters of the world. I never got into other jambands -- never fell in love with the Dead -- and I'd go so far as to say that I actively dislike the jambands that pass for jambands these days. I'd probably even argue that Phish never was a jamband, but that's beside the point. Jamming just seemed so pretentious to me and an acoustic guitar was all I thought I'd ever need again.

So, like I said, I popped in a phish show the other day because of this thread. And I'll tell you what. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about Phish and their love of the music and their energy and their tight rocking joy that is infectious to me. I hadn't heard Chalkdust Torture or any Phish in probably 5 years, and I went for a taste of Chalkdust first (12/31/95). I had chills and a grin from ear to ear. In a weird way it made me happy to think that there's still something about this band that moves me in a way that no other band does. Even Wilco -- they move me in a way just as important, but just in a different way. It's nice to have that... I'm glad I didn't lose it. :)

In a weird way, I think I can, kind of, sort of, probably not even close, relate to what Trey is saying above. There are times in your life when things are just right, and maybe you need a break from them, but they are always there in you somewhere.

Who can unlearn all the facts that I've learned??

Then I basically spent the next several years reconnecting with my roots (Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Costello, Lowe, ), discovering bands like Wilco, UT, Son Volt, and other "indie" type bands, and sort of laughing off what was a "phase" I went through with Phish. I picked up guitar myself and gravitated to the singer-songwriters of the world. I never got into other jambands -- never fell in love with the Dead -- and I'd go so far as to say that I actively dislike the jambands that pass for jambands these days. I'd probably even argue that Phish never was a jamband, but that's beside the point. Jamming just seemed so pretentious to me and an acoustic guitar was all I thought I'd ever need again.

This was a great post altogether, but the part above really hits home for me. FWIW, I was never really that much of a Phish fan (which is why I've been watching this thread from the sidelines) but was most definitely part of the "jam" scene in the early 90s--early Panic and all the original HORDE groups, I guess, and a bunch of bands that never made it "big" in any sort of way. Phish didn't connect for me the way they did with a lot of people, but I have a lot of affection for that scene overall.

Somewhere in the mid-90s I pulled a musical 180 and got obsessively into alternative and later punk and then eventually "indie" music (for lack of a better label) and I looked back on my jammy days as kind of a phase I went through--because, you know, its cool to sneer at such things. Dirty hippies and such. :rolleyes

And then a funny thing happened. Even through my non-jammy years, my dad and I kept up a tradition of going to see one show each year during the Allman Bros annual March residency in NYC. It was like keeping one candle burning on that side of my brain. And a few years ago I found myself really bored with music, in general, and not finding much very interesting or joyful in the indie world I was inhabiting. And around this time I went to one of those ABB concerts and had a semi-religious experience during a particularly transcendent "Mountain Jam". And, at the time, I had a coworker who was a huge Phish/Deadhead and I found myself borrowing more and more from his collection. Phish is still hit and miss for me (maybe I've yet to hear a show from the "right" era for me), but I found myself connecting with the Dead on a level that I never did before. And its become something of an obsession ever since, not just with the GD, but re-opening my mind to a whole scene and style of music that I had closed off for so many years and I'm amazed at how much joy I find in it.

Musical fads are bullshit. For as open minded as I've always claimed myself to be, it took me well into my 30s to realize that there is something valuable to be found in all the different kinds of music that have moved me over the years. (well, except maybe my hair-metal phase) :lol

This was a great post altogether, but the part above really hits home for me. FWIW, I was never really that much of a Phish fan (which is why I've been watching this thread from the sidelines) but was most definitely part of the "jam" scene in the early 90s--early Panic and all the original HORDE groups, I guess, and a bunch of bands that never made it "big" in any sort of way. Phish didn't connect for me the way they did with a lot of people, but I have a lot of affection for that scene overall.

Somewhere in the mid-90s I pulled a musical 180 and got obsessively into alternative and later punk and then eventually "indie" music (for lack of a better label) and I looked back on my jammy days as kind of a phase I went through--because, you know, its cool to sneer at such things. Dirty hippies and such. :rolleyes

And then a funny thing happened. Even through my non-jammy years, my dad and I kept up a tradition of going to see one show each year during the Allman Bros annual March residency in NYC. It was like keeping one candle burning on that side of my brain. And a few years ago I found myself really bored with music, in general, and not finding much very interesting or joyful in the indie world I was inhabiting. And around this time I went to one of those ABB concerts and had a semi-religious experience during a particularly transcendent "Mountain Jam". And, at the time, I had a coworker who was a huge Phish/Deadhead and I found myself borrowing more and more from his collection. Phish is still hit and miss for me (maybe I've yet to hear a show from the "right" era for me), but I found myself connecting with the Dead on a level that I never did before. And its become something of an obsession ever since, not just with the GD, but re-opening my mind to a whole scene and style of music that I had closed off for so many years and I'm amazed at how much joy I find in it.

Musical fads are bullshit. For as open minded as I've always claimed myself to be, it took me well into my 30s to realize that there is something valuable to be found in all the different kinds of music that have moved me over the years. (well, except maybe my hair-metal phase) :lol

I think it is interesting that The Allman Brothers Band is now considered part of the so-called jamband scene. I saw them in 1996 I think it was.

Wow so many feeling stated here are like how I feel. I've tried to keep Phish in a rotation with all the other stuff I'm into. At least once a month, sometimes not as often. And the more I think about it, if the definition of jamband or the jam scene is what bands inhabit it currently then Phish is definitely a band beyond definition, because they most certainly do not deserve to be grouped with the mediocrity that passes today. I think we also see with Phish that they are defintiely the sum of the whole is greater than the parts that make it up. Trey's solo career has been sketchy at best, and Page and Mike have both had some noble solo efforts, but nothing matching the Phish moments. And as many, I thought I had moved on, even saying a couple weeks ago, that Phish was but a memory to me, I would always love them, just not on the same level as I love bands like Wilco, whom I've listened to equally as long as I've been into Phish. Thats probably more easy to say when Wilco is activiely touring, making music and Wilco has shook me to my core many times and I have so many great memories and more to come. Phish made me see music in totally different light as not just a song, as an expirience, to pick parts of songs, or band members and focus on their contribution, to try and predict where a song was going. I'm excited for the future of Phish again, but not just them for music as a whole.

I think it is interesting that The Allman Brothers Band is now considered part of the so-called jamband scene. I saw them in 1996 I think it was.

My first experience with them in a live setting was seeing them headline the HORDE tour in '94 or so. Blew my socks off. There aren't many current "jambands" that sound much like them, but I can see their influence. When the ABB regrouped in the 90s I think they naturally got lumped into that scene, and in some ways it fits them, in some ways it does not.

I had to do this sorry if it is too long! My Phish stats for the 6 shows i went too..

First/Last Time Seen

Song Name FIRST TIME SEEN LAST TIME SEEN CURRENT GAP

Date Show # Date Show #

That's too bad you never go to see them do Reba. That was probably a highlight of my five or six times seeing them.

My first experience with them in a live setting was seeing them headline the HORDE tour in '94 or so. Blew my socks off. There aren't many current "jambands" that sound much like them, but I can see their influence. When the ABB regrouped in the 90s I think they naturally got lumped into that scene, and in some ways it fits them, in some ways it does not.

Someone told me a lot of the people who use to follow the Dead/Phish around, now follow them around.

Someone told me a lot of the people who use to follow the Dead/Phish around, now follow them around.

Looks like the ABB scheduled several dates with Ratdog again this summer, so I guess the link with the GD crowd has become more explicit recently.

Looks like the ABB scheduled several dates with Ratdog again this summer, so I guess the link with the GD crowd has become more explicit recently.

They were playing Franklin's Tower at some point a few years ago.

Anastasio Returning To Live Duty At Rothbury

Trey Anastasio

May 30, 2008, 10:40 AM ET

Michael D. Ayers, N.Y.

Former Phish frontman Trey Anastasio is set for his first major public performance since 2006 over July 4th weekend at the inaugural Rothbury festival in Rothbury, Mich.

Anastasio, who recently received probation for felony drug charges in upstate New York, is scheduled to perform a one hour solo-acoustic set at the event, which will also feature separate sets from Phish members Jon Fishman (playing with the Yonder Mountain String Band) and Mike Gordon (playing solo).

"We've always wanted to have Trey perform at the inaugural Rothbury Festival," says Don Strasburg, VP/talent buyer for Rothbury promoter AEG Live Rocky Mountains. "It wasn't until two months ago until any possibility raised its head and only in the last two or three weeks did the possibility become a potential."

The presence of 3/4th of Phish is bound to raise further speculation about a reunion of the seminal jam band, which split for good in August 2004. The full band was on hand last month to accept a lifetime achievement award at the Jammys in New York, but did not perform together.

"Trey is part of our community's core family," Strasburg says. "And to have such an incredible musician and performer be willing to join us on an inaugural year makes a statement to the potential that Rothbury has."

Rothbury will also boast performances from the Dave Matthews Band, Widespread Panic, Modest Mouse, John Mayer and Primus, among many others. Strasburg says that so far, ticket sales have been "great. In a tough economic climate, we're pleased with where sales are at. We've sold tickets in every state of the union."

if the definition of jamband or the jam scene is what bands inhabit it currently then Phish is definitely a band beyond definition, because they most certainly do not deserve to be grouped with the mediocrity that passes today.

I think I was the one that suggested arguing with the jamband label for Phish. I'd agree that other bands that are considered jambands aren't all that good. But I didn't even mean it that way. Just that I recognize that bands get stuck in boxes with labels for ease of reference. Like Wilco being an alt-country band, I agree that the most convenient box to put Phish in is "jamband."

But Phish was a different band from night to night and even song to song for me. You want to tell me they weren't a bluegrass band (Poor Heart)? A barbershop quartet (Hello My Baby)? An arena rock band (Challkdust)? A Sinatra rip off (Lawn Boy)? The Beatles (10/31/94)? The first Jewish rockers (Aveenu Malkenu)? A funk band (Funky Bitch)?

In essence, Phish was just a group of 4 guys who loved music as much as I did. And a concert (for me) was a chance to experience and share (with the crowd and the band) so many different aspects of music that I loved. To call Phish a jamband just missed the point for me. Phish wasn't a jamband. Phish was what you'd see if you could split open the head of a music lover and see what was floating around in there. Split Open and Melt.

And I say this all as someone who basically hasn't listened to Phish is 7 years. :lol

I think I was the one that suggested arguing with the jamband label for Phish. I'd agree that other bands that are considered jambands aren't all that good. But I didn't even mean it that way. Just that I recognize that bands get stuck in boxes with labels for ease of reference. Like Wilco being an alt-country band, I agree that the most convenient box to put Phish in is "jamband."

But Phish was a different band from night to night and even song to song for me. You want to tell me they weren't a bluegrass band (Poor Heart)? A barbershop quartet (Hello My Baby)? An arena rock band (Challkdust)? A Sinatra rip off (Lawn Boy)? The Beatles (10/31/94)? The first Jewish rockers (Aveenu Malkenu)? A funk band (Funky Bitch)?

In essence, Phish was just a group of 4 guys who loved music as much as I did. And a concert (for me) was a chance to experience and share (with the crowd and the band) so many different aspects of music that I loved. To call Phish a jamband just missed the point for me. Phish wasn't a jamband. Phish was what you'd see if you could split open the head of a music lover and see what was floating around in there. Split Open and Melt.

And I say this all as someone who basically hasn't listened to Phish is 7 years. :lol

There are lot of great posts in this thread.

To this day I have yet to see a band that connects with their audience so well. Phish fans are dedicated bunch and the band played into that by weaving in fun little tidbits into their shows. The simpsons licks, the all fall down bit, meatstick dance (LMAO) etc. They came up with a bunch of inside jokes with their fans as a way of bringing the audience in and making them feel like a part of the show. They also fed off the energy of their crowd and seemed to have a knack for pacing the songs in a show really well -- especially given the fact that the sets were not planned in advance.

When that band was on, they were unbelievable. As mentioned above, nothing beats a live Reba, YEM, Harry Hood, Slave to the Traffic light, the list goes on and on. I agree that after New Years 2000 it was all downhill. Unfortunately great things cannot last forever.

The one thing I think Wilco and Phish had in common was the understanding of the importance of dynamics in rock music. Both bands can rock yor face off, and then turn around and play a soft, melodic tune.

Phish if you really listen to them are best described as an eclectic band...you can hear classical, jazz, rock, blues, bluegrass and ton of other different styles mixed into their hodgepodge sound -- a truly American band.

The one thing I think Wilco and Phish had in common was the understanding of the importance of dynamics in rock music. Both bands can rock yor face off, and then turn around and play a soft, melodic tune.

Definitely. That is the obvious connection (imo), along with the wide variety of musical genres you come across during the course of a show. My hope is with Nels now firmly in the band he gets the leeway to take things further and further out.

Definitely. That is the obvious connection (imo), along with the wide variety of musical genres you come across during the course of a show. My hope is with Nels now firmly in the band he gets the leeway to take things further and further out.

Uh oh...now you did it, prepare for the inevitable why should Wilco turn into a jam band immbroglio :shifty

Guest Alan
In part as a result of the fact that this thread is alive and kicking, I went back to listen to some of my old phish shows. I basically haven't listened to Phish since I hiked those 15 miles out of Coventry. The band broke up and I used that as an excuse to break away too. It was time for me to move on. I thought everything went pretty downhill after 12/31/99 (and even after the Island Tour as we were saying before) so Coventry was my last swan song.

So, like I said, I popped in a phish show the other day because of this thread. And I'll tell you what. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about Phish and their love of the music and their energy and their tight rocking joy that is infectious to me. I hadn't heard Chalkdust Torture or any Phish in probably 5 years, and I went for a taste of Chalkdust first (12/31/95). I had chills and a grin from ear to ear. In a weird way it made me happy to think that there's still something about this band that moves me in a way that no other band does. Even Wilco -- they move me in a way just as important, but just in a different way. It's nice to have that... I'm glad I didn't lose it. :)

In a weird way, I think I can, kind of, sort of, probably not even close, relate to what Trey is saying above. There are times in your life when things are just right, and maybe you need a break from them, but they are always there in you somewhere.

Who can unlearn all the facts that I've learned??

excellent post. i felt the same way after coventry (what a disappointment that entire weekend was). just recently i stumbled upon some really cool videos on youtube of phish in 1994. the videos were taken by the Rev. Jeff Mosier who was on tour with them at the time giving them bluegrass lessons. and does it get any better than 1994 phish? i don't think so. i'm absolutely ready for them to come back, and give me a reason to travel thousands of miles to see a band again.

Guest Alan

you can say that about a lot of bands, but the one thing you can't say about a lot of bands, that you can about phish, wilco, and the band in my avatar, is that they understood/understand the needs of their fans. they truly want to give their fans the best experience and deliberately do things to make that happen. and to be able to do that, and be successful as those three bands have been, is pretty damn incredible.

and as for the "jamband" label, i don't have much problem with it, because labels are stupid anyway. i just wish every other "jamband" didn't suck so much. and i'm referring to the newer bands, not ABB or the grateful dead.

does it get any better than 1994 phish?

Very few things in RXR are better than that. IMHO. If stop-and-turn-on-a-dime improv is your thing. Aug. '93 through Aug. '96 (Clifford Ball) is the peak for me. Those guys were untouchable then. The Ball was the crowning moment when we all sort of knew that Phish had did it - they had 'made it' into the BIG TIME. Where was there to go after that?

You know there was a time when I was seeing a lot of shows that the hit-or-miss jamming style was okay with me. But now, when I get a chance to see a band once MAYBE twice a year, I don't really see the gamble as a good one anymore. I don't want my one show to be a disaster and, frankly, many Phish shows WERE disasters after '95 or so when they really started jamming. The jamming they did before that was much more structured with Trey clearly taking the lead. I think the democratic, more free form jamming could be transcendent, but that didn't happen often, IMO, and even at shows where they DID hit those peaks, it was peaks interspersed among many many valleys. I also think the Phish "funk" was painfully boring, but that's just me. I like my Wilco as I liked my Phish: well-rehearsed enough to be tight, but loose; expansive, but concise; egalitarian, but make-no-mistake who is leading the proceedings.

I tend to agree with you Moe in regards to the funk. I didn't see any of the post- Remain In Light shows that Fall of '96. My first experience with the cowfunk came in August of '97. My first thought was 'well, they know they've made it - I guess they don't want to have to work hard anymore'. It just seemed like they were coasting with that stuff.

I think it's fine if you're sitting at home baked on the couch or whatever, but like you said if you're forking over the hard-earned (not to mention the time/emotional investment) you want things to be exciting - and it was a far cry from the twists and turns of a transcendent "Bowie" or "Reba".

I tend to agree with you Moe in regards to the funk. I didn't see any of the post- Remain In Light shows that Fall of '96. My first experience with the cowfunk came in August of '97. My first thought was 'well, they know they've made it - I guess they don't want to have to work hard anymore'. It just seemed like they were coasting with that stuff.

I think it's fine if you're sitting at home baked on the couch or whatever, but like you said if you're forking over the hard-earned (not to mention the time/emotional investment) you want things to be exciting - and it was a far cry from the twists and turns of a transcendent "Bowie" or "Reba".

I saw a good chunk of the 97 summer tour and also caught some shows in the Fall. I think dismissing the funk period overall is a big mistake. I will agree in that summer tour was relatively unexciting as far as the funk jams(a non funk jam that is essential listening from that tour was the Gin from the Great Went -- amazing stuff), but that fall they really got it working. Take a listen to Dayton 12/7/97 -- the jam after Tube is ridiculously good. That show as a whole was easily one of the best shows I ever saw. (Saw around 50 shows from 1994-2000) The night before at the Palace in Auburn hills was excellent as well -- the tweezer was amazing. I think Fall of 1997 was one of their peaks as a band. That was the best music they played since fall of 1995 IMHO. Page and Trey would really lock in and play off each other in those jams, and the total sound was much more collaborative and improvisational than some of the previous stuff. I think 93-94 was their definite peak as a band, but they couldn't just continue to play that way in that style forever.

The island tour in '98 was the real swan song as far as I am concerned. Their last major peak as a band. Looking back at it things were headed downhill and I think it is a good thing that they parted ways. They should have never came back from the Hiatus.

What a wonderful article. I REALLY hope Tom isn't just putting out some spin there. A healthy Big Red is the best of all possible news from the Phish camp. I wish him the best.

I don't think so. Tom is pretty honest and forthright in interviews (more so than I think of lot of people in the org would like). I don't have anything concrete, but I have heard direct from A horse's mouth (ha!) that they are ready to go when the time is right. I am predicting NYE as they did after the last hiatus.