• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool article on remastering the Colorado '88 tapes. It probably would hold interest beyond just Phish fans, but I didn't know where else to post it.

Thanks! That's a great read. I'm totally jealous of Fred Kevorkian's gear and abilities. That's cool he's willing to explain all of that.

Cool article on remastering the Colorado '88 tapes. It probably would hold interest beyond just Phish fans, but I didn't know where else to post it.

Do you have these? I have yet to pull the trigger on that set. A small review?

Do you have these? I have yet to pull the trigger on that set. A small review?

I do. Although I haven't listened to them much (at all?) since I first got them. That may be a review in and of itself. It is a nice historical document, especially if you prefer earlier Phish. But anything from '91 though '94 is going to get into my rotation before this would. Although i wasn't at these shows, I was at many of the CO Phish shows from '90 on and I remember talking to people about this. In the early days when Phish would come through CO there were about 100 of us that would go to all the shows. It was a weird sort of underground. So, in a weird way, this set has sentimental value for me.

I don't know if that was at all helpful. :lol

Rehearsal yesterday:

3046069662_273df3f016_o.png

On a related note, even though I am not going, I made a playlist in iTunes of what my ideal "comeback show" would look like (although I would like to see them play some good new stuff too, but I obviously don't have that on my HDD). :loser

Set 1:

The Curtain

All Things Reconsidered

Fluffhead

AC/DC Bag

Stash

Guyute

Divided Sky

Harry Hood

Run Like An Antelope

Set 2:

Wilson

Chalkdust Torture

Reba

David Bowie

Bathtub Gin

Down With Disease

Maze

Rift

Mike' Song-> I Am Hydrogen->Weekapaug Groove

You Enjoy Myself

Encore:

Loving Cup

Add a cover of the Beatles' Something and an acapella Freebird to the encore and I'll take it!

It would be awesome if they would do a complete Gamehenge with narration one of the nights. Some Harpua action also, possibly surrounding Gamehenge.

Add a cover of the Beatles' Something and an acapella Freebird to the encore and I'll take it!

It would be awesome if they would do a complete Gamehenge with narration one of the nights. Some Harpua action also, possibly surrounding Gamehenge.

I LOVE Col. Forbin's->Mockingbird, but I thought that might be asking a little much (yeah because what I have is totally realistic! :lol ). I think Mockingbird might be the hardest thing to play in their entire repertoire.

I LOVE Col. Forbin's->Mockingbird, but I thought that might be asking a little much (yeah because what I have is totally realistic! :lol ). I think Mockingbird might be the hardest thing to play in their entire repertoire.

Yeah Moe, you're not asking for too much there. :lol Mockingbird IS a diificult one, but so is Fluff, the "fugue" section of Reba, and many others. If it's not done properly it can just be a train wreck. This is why practice practice practice is necessary!

I will second the Gamehenge action though - man I just LOVE that thing, and to think those tunes were written by a 20 year old kid is just unreal.

Yeah Moe, you're not asking for too much there. :lol Mockingbird IS a diificult one, but so is Fluff, the "fugue" section of Reba, and many others. If it's not done properly it can just be a train wreck. This is why practice practice practice is necessary!

I will second the Gamehenge action though - man I just LOVE that thing, and to think those tunes were written by a 20 year old kid is just unreal.

Yeah I've learned all of those and Mockingbird is still the ONE that I could never get quite right. Actually the riff in Oh Kee Pa is tough too. Songs like Fluffhead and Reba are complex compositions but don't require too much finger gymnastics to play.

Damn, I'm impressed! Other than Stash (which has taken YEARS to get right) I haven't even attempted to try most of the catalogue. Save for the slower things like Billy, Dirt etc.

Had a nice blister on my lip once trying Fish's solo on "I Didn't Know" though. :lol

Had a nice blister on my lip once trying Fish's solo on "I Didn't Know" though. :lol

Haha, awesome!

Sample is pretty easy... And fun. Also, I know Roses are Free is a cover, but that's pretty easy too.

Waste was my first dance at my wedding. Also, pretty easy, but that one chord. Damn you, chord!! When I am in the first/second fret this pinky just can't get to the 5th fret on the high e string. Maybe by our 50th wedding anniversary, I can finally perform it for her. :lol

I love Waste - but it had yet to be written at the time of our wedding. My wife's favorite "slow" tune.

I was in a bluegrass/jamgrass outfit a few years ago and we played the shit out of Sparkle - not a fave but still it was fun.

Haha, awesome!

Sample is pretty easy... And fun. Also, I know Roses are Free is a cover, but that's pretty easy too.

Waste was my first dance at my wedding. Also, pretty easy, but that one chord. Damn you, chord!! When I am in the first/second fret this pinky just can't get to the 5th fret on the high e string. Maybe by our 50th wedding anniversary, I can finally perform it for her. :lol

Or do the version in C from the album :thumbup

http://emilstabs.org/wiki/index.php/Waste

Or do the version in C from the album :thumbup

http://emilstabs.org/wiki/index.php/Waste

Yeah, I guess the version from the album is the one that we danced to at our wedding, but man, I like the live version much better (from lower down on the same page). Thanks for the link - I love that website.

EDIT: Also, fwiw, I flat out love Trey's solo in the end of that song. Watching it on Bittersweet Motel is wonderful.

Yeah, I guess the version from the album is the one that we danced to at our wedding, but man, I like the live version much better (from lower down on the same page). Thanks for the link - I love that website.

The guitar solo on that song is amazing. Very simple and repetitive but it's perfect. The version from Bittersweet Motel is great.

EDIT: That's weird. We basically typed the same thing at the same time.

On another point: Thinking about seeing Phish again, something that I keep getting excited about almost as much as the music is Kuroda's lights.

Any of you guys own 08/26/89 Townshend Family Park, Townshend, VT - Live Phish Vol. 9?

08/26/89 Townshend Family Park, Townshend, VT

Set I: Fluffhead, Colonel Forbin's Ascent> Fly Famous Mockingbird, Harry Hood, Split Open and Melt, The Divided Sky, You Enjoy Myself> Possum

Set II: Theme from Andy Griffith, Bold as Love, Ya Mar, Slave to the Traffic Light, AC/DC Bag, Donna Lee, Funky Bitch, Foam, David Bowie

Set III: The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday> Avenu Malkenu> The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Suzy Greenberg, Dinner and a Movie, Run Like An Antelope

Encore: Contact, The Lizards, La Grange

I am thinking about springing for it this morning, but I understand that the sound quality may be little weak. Wanted to hear from some of you if it's worth the $20.

Any of you guys own 08/26/89 Townshend Family Park, Townshend, VT - Live Phish Vol. 9?

Set I: Fluffhead, Colonel Forbin's Ascent> Fly Famous Mockingbird, Harry Hood, Split Open and Melt, The Divided Sky, You Enjoy Myself> Possum

Set II: Theme from Andy Griffith, Bold as Love, Ya Mar, Slave to the Traffic Light, AC/DC Bag, Donna Lee, Funky Bitch, Foam, David Bowie

Set III: The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday> Avenu Malkenu> The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Suzy Greenberg, Dinner and a Movie, Run Like An Antelope

I am thinking about springing for it this morning, but I understand that the sound quality may be little weak. Wanted to hear from some of you if it's worth the $20.

It's definitely worth having. Nice snapshot of the band from the early days. I had no beef with the sound - of course, Page doesn't have the baby grand yet so his keys sound a little cheesy, but wtf?

It's definitely worth having. Nice snapshot of the band from the early days. I had no beef with the sound - of course, Page doesn't have the baby grand yet so his keys sound a little cheesy, but wtf?

that's for the feedback man. i pulled the trigger. i'm sure i'll be very happy with it.

on another note, some reviewer on amazon references that Rolling Stone declared this show the greatest Phish show of all time...

that's for the feedback man. i pulled the trigger. i'm sure i'll be very happy with it.

on another note, some reviewer on amazon references that Rolling Stone declared this show the greatest Phish show of all time...

Yeah that's definitely not true in my opinion. But if you like early Phish, this is worth having. I think '89 is a bit early for them, but it's a good show. I think they really started to come into their own the following year and really broke out in '91. My favorite era is '91-'94, but if you know what to expect (similar to the Colorado '88 set), it's very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
Live Phish just released 12/30/97 for download. I was at this show and it was one of the better latter day Phish shows I saw. That said, I'll be interested to see how it stands up "on tape." A lot of the fun of the show was stuff you kinda had to be there for.

Agreed. I was at this show too. The whole MSG run, actually. I thought 12/29 was great too. My favorite of the three.

so this show is stellar and the sound quality is great. not sure what those reviews on amazon were talking about.

this was my first taste of forbin's-> mockingbird. so good...