Gordon: 'Nice Enthusiasm' For Phish Activity

Phish

June 30, 2008 , 12:20 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Phish bassist Mike Gordon confirms there are prospects for some sort of band activity in the future, but he cautions that "there isn't really anything more to say than what's been said, because we don't know yet."

Gordon -- who releases a new solo album, "The Green Sparrow" on Aug. 5 -- is referring to a recent statement by keyboardist Page McConnell that the quartet, which split in 2004, is exploring "the possibility of spending some time together."

Gordon, meanwhile, tells Billboard.com that the four musicians actually have spent some time together in the intervening years, both in the studio (McConnell and guitarist Trey Anastasio play on "The Green Sparrow," while drummer Jon Fishman played on some tracks that did not make the cut) and otherwise.

"We haven't gotten together with instruments, only hung out," says Gordon. "We've had dinner a couple times in the last few years, and ... there's just an overall really nice enthusiasm. There's no hard feelings or anything. And because we don't have a record deal anymore, we don't have a huge operation that needs to be kept going. There's no pressure.

"We all are liking the idea of doing something," he continues. "We've brainstormed some ideas about what we would do -- then change our minds. But there's this sort of feeling something could happen, and we'd all be happy about it. But, again, we don't know any more than that."

Gordon did say that he doubts Phish would reunite on behalf of a political candidate, as the Grateful Dead alumni did early this year for Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama. "Phish has avoided political things with a couple of exceptions," he explains. "We've done a lot for voter registration. But as a band we've sort of embraced this idea that we're musicians, and it's not necessarily appropriate for us to preach our political feelings when we're musicians."

Gordon added that the Phish members' busy individual schedules still take priority over any reunion possibilities. Gordon himself has his new band on the road for headlining and festival performances that stretch at this pint into early September

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phish Members Jam Together At Rothbury Festival

July 07, 2008 , 9:50 AM ET

Gary Graff, Rothbury, Mich.

Phish fans got their wish, or at least a portion of it, yesterday (July 6) at the Rothbury Festival in Michigan, as three members of the band performed live together in two separate incarnations.

First, bassist Mike Gordon joined guitarist Trey Anastasio during the latter's solo acoustic set, which had already enthralled a substantial crowded gathered in front of the festival's main stage, the Odeum.

Noting that "Mike and I being two people who don't shy away from trying new things, Anastasio introduced a pair of fresh tunes -- "Backwards Down the Number Line" and "Alaska" -- and further teased prospects of a reunion by saying, "If we could just find a drummer and a keyboard player somewhere..." But, he added, "you gotta start with the songs, and you guys can be our test audience."

The new material went down a storm, but the biggest ovation came when Anastasio and Gordon finished the set with Phish's "Chalkdust Torture."

Anastasio, who plays on Gordon's upcoming album, "The Green Arrow," (due Aug. 5), then returned the favor during the bassist's set with his own band on the neighboring Sherwood Court stage. Though his guest appearance was delayed a bit when all concerned realized there wasn't an extra guitar for him to use, Anastasio eventually made it back for a rendition of "Cruel World," written and sung by Gordon's guitarist Scott Murawski, followed by the Phish favorite "Meat."

The real treat closed Gordon's set, however, when Phish drummer Jon Fishman joined the ensemble for the Beatles' "She Said, She Said," sending the field into a state of dancing delirium.

All four Phish members, including keyboardist Page McConnell, have hinted at the possibility of a reunion in recent comments, but no firm details have been revealed. The Phish follies were the unquestioned highlight on Rothbury's closing day, as the inaugural festival came to a satisfying close at the Double JJ Ranch.

Well I'll be damned. I knew I should have went up there - but this is still pretty cool news. :thumbup

7/8/94 - Great Woods Amphitheatre, Mansfield MA

I: Llama, NO2, The Lizards, Tela, Wilson, AC/DC Bag, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Famous Mockingbird, The Sloth, McGrupp, Divided Sky

II: Rift, Sample, Reba, Yerushalayim Shel Zahav, It's Ice, Stash*,YEM > Frankenstein > YEM, Julius, Golgi

E: Nellie Kane, Cavern

14 years ago today. The last (to date!) Gamehenge saga - complete with narration.

* this version of Stash appears on A Live One. I don't know if there's a better version - one of the best examples of tension/release that I've ever heard by any band in any genre of music.

Once upon a time there was a mountain that rose out of a vast green forest. And in the forest there were birds and lakes and rocks and trees and rivers. The forest was also inhabited by a small group of people called the lizards. The lizards were a simple people and they had lived in the forest undisturbed for thousands of years in utter peace and tranquillity.

Thanks for the news Aman. :thumbup

Today marks the anniversary of Phish's first show at Deer Creek (6/19/95). One of the best shows I ever saw them do - maybe even THE best. The vocal jam in YEM was just unreal. It was so reminiscent of the Mothers' "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" record - I was definitely hooked for life by this point!

I saw the GD for the final time 2 weeks later at the same venue. There was no argument by this time - Phish had taken over.

That show was a lot of fun. I also really enjoyed the Tela, PYITE, Reba section of the first set.

• 2 weeks later...
You can preview several clips from Phish's brand new 2-DVD set including "Mike's Song", "Taste", "Weekapaug Groove" and "Bouncing Around The Room" at Phish's MySpace and Facebook pages and YouTube channel. Phish Walnut Creek, in stores August 5th, is available now for pre-order at Phish Dry Goods. This 2-DVD set features more than 2 1/2 hours of 5-camera footage with 5.1 Dolby Surround or optional stereo sound.

Anyone who pre-orders the DVD from Dry Goods will receive Phish: Left Nuts, a bonus CD featuring more than 75 minutes of previously unreleased music from Phish's past performances at Walnut Creek, produced specifically for this release. Dry Goods also has a great collection of Summer 1997 Merch to offer, including a Pollock T-Shirt and Mail Order Ticket Magnet.

Exclusive Dry Goods Bonus CD Phish: Left Nuts TRACKLISTING

1. Runaway Jim - Walnut Creek 6/16/95

2. Free - Walnut Creek 6/16/95

3. Reba - Walnut Creek 6/29/94

4. Dog Faced Boy - Walnut Creek 6/16/95

5. Catapult - Walnut Creek 6/16/95

6. Split Open and Melt - Walnut Creek 6/16/95

7. Carolina - Walnut Creek 6/16/95

trey on a strat -- She Said She Said

When I first saw that video I was more surprised Trey was playing a strat than the fact trey was playing with mike and jon. I decided to skip the $100+ farmaid and hope for a phish reunion!!! As unlikely as it is :ohwell

This is the coolest post-Phish project I've heard of. (And makes me hopeful that the new maybe-Phish-reunion material Trey/Tom's been working on will sound like old school Phish)

Trey's Time Turns Elastic With Orchestra Nashville

Trey Anastasio will debut "Time Turns Elastic", a new piece co-written for electric guitar and orchestra with long-time collaborator Don Hart, on September 27 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN. The piece will be performed with Orchestra Nashville (formerly Nashville Chamber Orchestra) and conducted by musical director Paul Gambill who originally worked with Trey for his June 2004 orchestral performance at the Bonnaroo Music Festival.

The centerpiece of Trey's writing during his time off from the road, "Time Turns Elastic" features long, orchestral passages intertwined with epic guitar lines and vocals -- written in the same vein as Divided Sky, Guyute and You Enjoy Myself. With the electric guitar at the forefront, "Time Turns Elastic" pushes the limits of orchestral music and delivers a complete articulation of Orchestra Nashville's mission to integrate disparate musical styles that challenge and inspire audiences.

Tickets for this very special debut performance are currently available through a real time presale, which will end Thursday, July 24th at 5:00pm (Central Time) at http://treytickets.rlc.net.

Public onsale begins Friday, July 25th at 10:00am (Central Time). Tickets will be available at the Box Office, select TicketMaster outlets, online at Ticketmaster.com, or charge by phone at 615.255.9600 For more information, visit www.trey.com.

When I first saw that video I was more surprised Trey was playing a strat than the fact trey was playing with mike and jon. I decided to skip the $100+ farmaid and hope for a phish reunion!!! As unlikely as it is :ohwell

My pal who was there (big Phish guy, too) left right after "She Said" to catch Gov't Mule and the first tune he heard them play...."She Said!"

• 2 weeks later...

7/29/03 - Star Lake, Burgettstown, PA

I: Daniel Saw The Stone > Camel Walk, Gotta Jibboo, Cool It Down, Scent Of A Mule, Fee > Timber Ho!, When The Circus Comes, McGrupp, Golgi Apparatus

II: Crosseyed And Painless > Thunderhead, Brother, Harpua > Bittersweet Motel > Harpua > Fooled Around And Fell In Love > HYHU > Harpua, David Bowie

E: Farmhouse

Five years ago today. I know you all have probably already heard the story behind this craaazy sick setlist. Is this not the best post-hiatus show? (I say yes)

A good friend of mine went to this and I don't think his mind has ever recovered from being blown.

7/29/03 - Star Lake, Burgettstown, PA

Five years ago today. I know you all have probably already heard the story behind this craaazy sick setlist. Is this not the best post-hiatus show? (I say yes)

I have this show on my mp3 player. Definitely the best post-hiatus show that I heard. Brother, Harpua, Camel Walk, Daniel Saw the Stone? Jeezopete. I haven't heard the story behind the crazy setlist... What is it?

I was heartened by Page's note/letter -- there's hope for 2009 it looks like.

I am still on the fence about all of this. I am worried that little (purely selfish) good can come from them getting back together. I know that they would never be a greatest hits touring band, but I am not sure that you can put the toothpaste back in the tube here.

Then again, imagining being at a show, waiting for them to come out, the lights going down, the crowd cheering and seeing those 4 guys, and hearing: oooom pah pah, ooooom pah pah, ooooom pah pah, ooooom pah pah AHHHHH!!!!!! would be worth it. :)

I have this show on my mp3 player. Definitely the best post-hiatus show that I heard. Brother, Harpua, Camel Walk, Daniel Saw the Stone? Jeezopete. I haven't heard the story behind the crazy setlist... What is it?

The prevalent rumor at the time was the band had recently got iPods, and Trey's contained the entire Phish catalogue. He got the bug to play some of these forgotten gems, and the band rehearsed them on their day off before this show. Also, this silenced the nay-sayers who were bitching about the lack of bust-outs during that tour.

The prevalent rumor at the time was the band had recently got iPods, and Trey's contained the entire Phish catalogue. He got the bug to play some of these forgotten gems, and the band rehearsed them on their day off before this show. Also, this silenced the nay-sayers who were bitching about the lack of bust-outs during that tour.

I remember reading about their use of iPods. Fishman's had a lot of Zappa. I remember reading Page having to listen to Stash before they played it. The sad part of this story is the problem wasn't just that thet weren't playing bust-outs; they also weren't really practicing anymore.

Pretty good geeky interview with Brad about their use of iPods here

The sad part of this story is the problem wasn't just that thet weren't playing bust-outs; they also weren't really practicing anymore.

When I saw them in Uniondale, Long Island in 2003 (?) and they played the first Destiny Unbound in who knows how long, I knew it was over. Fans had been begging for that song since as long as I could remember and the band never obliged. It became a long running joke -- what could the crowd do to get them to play it. I even remember one show I was at where, before the show, people were passing out flyers trying to get the crowd to start chanting for it during the set break.

You are right -- the bustouts were a signal that the well was dry. I think we discussed it earlier in this thread. Same thing happened in Summer '98 with those random covers.

Thanks for the story about the iPods -- didnt know that.

When I saw them in Uniondale, Long Island in 2003 (?) and they played the first Destiny Unbound in who knows how long, I knew it was over. Fans had been begging for that song since as long as I could remember and the band never obliged. It became a long running joke -- what could the crowd do to get them to play it. I even remember one show I was at where, before the show, people were passing out flyers trying to get the crowd to start chanting for it during the set break.

You are right -- the bustouts were a signal that the well was dry. I think we discussed it earlier in this thread. Same thing happened in Summer '98 with those random covers.

Thanks for the story about the iPods -- didnt know that.

I saw Destiny Unbound many times in the early '90s. It's not that great a tune. I never understood all the clamoring for it. They handed those fliers out at Red Rocks in '96 I think. That was also when they handed out the fliers that asked people to shout "Hood!" after the band says "Harry!" in Harry Hood. That was when I knew it was over. :P

I saw Destiny Unbound many times in the early '90s. It's not that great a tune. I never understood all the clamoring for it.

I agree with you. A terrible song. I think some folks thought it was the closest song the band had to a Dead tune. Seemed a stretch to me.

That was also when they handed out the fliers that asked people to shout "Hood!" after the band says "Harry!" in Harry Hood. That was when I knew it was over. :P

:lol