Do you have trouble maintaining an election?

Call me a pessimist, but, even if he is elected, this whole Obama thing has the familiar scent of grave disappointment written all over it.

I have that feeling gnawing at the back of my mind too.

Jimmy Carter was a candidate who ran on a change agenda also...(c'mon...admit it. Even though Carter has had a wondrous post presidency, he was a disaster)

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have that feeling gnawing at the back of my mind too.

Jimmy Carter was a candidate who ran on a change agenda also...(c'mon...admit it. Even though Carter has had a wondrous post presidency, he was a disaster)

Obama is definitely setting himself up for an all-or-nothing presidency. If he heeds the lessons of history and doesn't appoint the president of the Plains, GA Bank as Treasury Secretary, then he'll probably be OK. But there is a definite sense of impending let-down when he takes office and the world doesn't magically become fixed. The trick is working through that phase and working for steady improvement.

Does anyone really think that all of our problems are going to be fixed immediately? I'm just expecting significant strides in the right direction -- I know that it's a lot more complicated than just putting a new person in the chair at the Oval Office desk. However, I do feel that so long as he isn't a disaster, the fact that a black man can now become President of the United States will lead to positive change in itself. Over time the level of success that a black person could achieve in this country has gradually gotten higher and higher but never before has this been possible, and I think that that is important, even if he does not quite bring the overwhelming change that so many of us are hoping for. Sure, racism is still here and its still strong, but the fact that someone who is not a white man can be elected to the highest office in the land is at least now possible (although still very difficult) is huge. None of that has anything to do with why I'm supporting him, but I don't think it's at all insignficant regardless of whatever else would happen during an Obama presidency.

Obama is definitely setting himself up for an all-or-nothing presidency. If he heeds the lessons of history and doesn't appoint the president of the Plains, GA Bank as Treasury Secretary, then he'll probably be OK. But there is a definite sense of impending let-down when he takes office and the world doesn't magically become fixed. The trick is working through that phase and working for steady improvement.

Unfortunately, that

Over time the level of success that a black person could achieve in this country has gradually gotten higher and higher but never before has this been possible, and I think that that is important, even if he does not quite bring the overwhelming change that so many of us are hoping for. Sure, racism is still here and its still strong, but the fact that someone who is not a white man can be elected to the highest office in the land is at least now possible (although still very difficult) is huge.

I agree with this. While I would love to see him win, the support he is getting in the primaries is already giving me a respect for the American people that I'm sorry I don't feel more often. I'm sorry to say that I believed a black man wouldn't have a chance, even in the primaries, and I couldn't be more pleased to see that I was wrong.

Does anyone really think that all of our problems are going to be fixed immediately? I'm just expecting significant strides in the right direction -- I know that it's a lot more complicated than just putting a new person in the chair at the Oval Office desk. However, I do feel that so long as he isn't a disaster, the fact that a black man can now become President of the United States will lead to positive change in itself. Over time the level of success that a black person could achieve in this country has gradually gotten higher and higher but never before has this been possible, and I think that that is important, even if he does not quite bring the overwhelming change that so many of us are hoping for. Sure, racism is still here and its still strong, but the fact that someone who is not a white man can be elected to the highest office in the land is at least now possible (although still very difficult) is huge. None of that has anything to do with why I'm supporting him, but I don't think it's at all insignficant regardless of whatever else would happen during an Obama presidency.

I agree.

People with these far off unreasonable far off expectation will be disappointed, just having those expectations is their problem. Obama will bring change more than any canidate, but cmon be reasonable. He wont magically fix all our problems, but he is the type of person we need right now.

Does anyone really think that all of our problems are going to be fixed immediately?

What I was trying (very ineloquently) to say is that with all the slogans, chants, songs, grown men crying like little schoolgirls at political rallies, etc., that a lot of people are looking at an Obama win in November as Mission Accomplished. It isn't. That's when the really heavy lifting begins, and as THDW said, we do sort of suck at the follow through. My hope is that so many people are personally invested in this campaign that the good vibes will carry over into action in the years to come.

What I was trying (very ineloquently) to say is that with all the slogans, chants, songs, grown men crying like little schoolgirls at political rallies, etc., that a lot of people are looking at an Obama win in November as Mission Accomplished. It isn't. That's when the really heavy lifting begins, and as THDW said, we do sort of suck at the follow through. My hope is that so many people are personally invested in this campaign that the good vibes will carry over into action in the years to come.

right on. you want to talk about scrutiny...should The Rock take office, he and those of us who clamored to get him into the white house better produce.

it's been really easy the past 8 years to pick apart the 'other side', as the administration has done a horrible job no matter how you slice it...(hopefully) the shoe will be on the other foot and in much bigger way.

I can get on board with that. :thumbup

Call me a pessimist, but, even if he is elected, this whole Obama thing has the familiar scent of grave disappointment written all over it.

I'm feeling you here, TDW.

Oh. My. God. I just read through all the comments (I skimmed large portions) and I've never been more terrified in my life. How many people are that stupid, racist, and just plain paranoid? I guess I'm just naive. I didn't think people really felt that way anymore. I realize it's still a pretty small chunk of even the church-going population, but man... one is too many.

but still nowhere near the amount that are nothing like that.

True enough, but that still leaves millions of them that think along similar lines, and some of them, hold rather high positions in government.

Why don't you just like, rag on the idiots instead of the entire institution, then?

Because, much of what these folks are saying and the views they express is the result of taking the bible, Christianity literally - at its word.