Do you have trouble maintaining an election?

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once stood next to Barack Obama and I did not feel a chill, I did not see an aura of evil, but I did think "man that dude is skinny."

Plus...he's a smoker.

He doesn't look...healthy.

I thought he quit a few months ago.

That's what I heard too. All I can say is if you can remain cool while being in the preesure cooker of a Presidential election PLUS quit smoking at the same time you must really have your shit together.

That.

Was.

Awesome!

Now, these are the folks I have in mind when I bag on religion, and there's lots of them.

There may be more than a few of these jokers, but they are mainly adherents of non-denominational, charismatic churches and no more represent Christianity than Anton Levay represents modern secular humanism.

These oddjobs scare me and I am a member of the United Methodist Church. Don't paint us all with the brush of ignorance, fear and bigotry.

I have no historic footnotes here, but I always felt that this odd religious fundamentalism arose out of the devastation of the Civil War. The South had visited on it an armageddon that the rest of the country can't fully appreciate. Uncertainty, shame, fear and poverty have led to 140+ years of reactionary social and religious beliefs.

I have no historic footnotes here, but I always felt that this odd religious fundamentalism arose out of the devastation of the Civil War. The South had visited on it an armageddon that the rest of the country can't fully appreciate. Uncertainty, shame, fear and poverty have led to 140+ years of reactionary social and religious beliefs.

That is an interesting theory - I hadn't ever really thought about the link of the Civil War to religious fundamentalism. It makes sense. I am going to have to ponder that. Not quite the same thing, but it reminds me of this book on my reading pile.....

9780307263568.jpg

There may be more than a few of these jokers, but they are mainly adherents of non-denominational, charismatic churches and no more represent Christianity than Anton Levay represents modern secular humanism.

These oddjobs scare me and I am a member of the United Methodist Church. Don't paint us all with the brush of ignorance, fear and bigotry.

Yes, let's blame the south for everything.

You read that as blaming the south? Really?

I don't know - I see a lot of south bashing on here - or it seems that way in my head. I grew up in a pentecostal church, I've seen people speak in tongues, etc. I grew up around so-called rednecks, working class people, poor people, racist people, non-racist people, lived where there were nothing but white people, seen shit go down like in that movie Remember The Titans, etc. It just upsets me - we could all point out all the stereotypes about where each of us grew up or live now all day long I suppose. My history is rusty - but I think such things came out of the various Great Awakenings - 1800s, late 1800s-early1900s, late 1960s-early 1970s.

It is certainly an interesting theory, but this sort of superstitious fundamentalism can traced quite a ways back, to a time in which people were shorter and lived near water. The same form of fundamentalism manifests itself across myriad cultures, religions and geographical borders.

I

I don't know - I see a lot of south bashing on here - or it seems that way in my head. I grew up in a pentecostal church, I've seen people speak in tongues, etc. I grew up around so-called rednecks, working class people, poor people, racist people, non-racist people, lived where there were nothing but white people, seen shit go down like in that movie Remember The Titans, etc. It just upsets me - we could all point out all the stereotypes about where each of us grew up or live now all day long I suppose. My history is rusty - but I think such things came out of the various Great Awakenings - 1800s, late 1800s-early1900s, late 1960s-early 1970s.

Well, there is certainly some south-bashing on here, but I didn't think Cornbread Chow's comment was. In fact, I think he lives in Texas or something--sort of the south.

I grew up in the evangelical vatican and I remember kids talking about how the EU represented the 11 toes of the beast and one would be loppped off or some such nonsense. Most of those kids are politically liberal, "emergent church" types now.

But people said Jimmy Carter was the antichrist. The interpretation of the Book of Revelation is usually pretty wild and random (not sure how it could be interpreted literally, tree-hugger, as it's clearly metaphoric language). A lot of theologians say that the book describes events that happened later in the first century.

Well, there is certainly some south-bashing on here, but I didn't think Cornbread Chow's comment was. In fact, I think he lives in Texas or something--sort of the south.

I grew up in the evangelical vatican and I remember kids talking about how the EU represented the 11 toes of the beast and one would be loppped off or some such nonsense. Most of those kids are politically liberal, "emergent church" types now.

But people said Jimmy Carter was the antichrist. The interpretation of the Book of Revelation is usually pretty wild and random (not sure how it could be interpreted literally, tree-hugger, as it's clearly metaphoric language). A lot of theologians say that the book describes events that happened later in the first century.

I agree its message is metaphorical, but it is also most certainly taken as the literal capital

Yes, let's blame the south for everything.

dude..

I have lived here all my freaking life.

I don't 'blame' anything on the south.

You would have to be incredibly insulated not to feel the inherent longing and general self esteem issues of the south.

We are ridiculed in popular culture and media and there is an outsider mentality that pervades our very being.

Ain't about my pistol

Ain't about my boots

Ain't about no northern drives

Ain't about my southern roots

Ain't about my guitars, ain't about my big old amps

"It ain't rained in weeks, but the weather sure feels damp"

Ain't about excuses or alibis

Ain't about no cotton fields or cotton picking lies

Ain't about the races, the crying shame

To the fucking rich man all poor people look the same

Don't get me wrong It just ain't right

May not look strong, but I ain't afraid to fight