Radiohead: Greatest Hits volume 1

Meh, if it will help introduce younger people to Radiohead I think it's a good thing. To be honest, when I first was getting into Radiohead, it'd be nice to have some sort of compilation to help me out.

Meh, if it will help introduce younger people to Radiohead I think it's a good thing. To be honest, when I first was getting into Radiohead, it'd be nice to have some sort of compilation to help me out.

I'm not certain about that, Radiohead is really one of those "album" bands and throwing different parts of albums onto one thing may encompass Radiohead but it really misses the point...

that's just my opinion.

I'm not certain about that, Radiohead is really one of those "album" bands and throwing different parts of albums onto one thing may encompass Radiohead but it really misses the point...

that's just my opinion.

Of course this greatest hits package will miss the point (if there's a point to a greatest hits besides more money). But, they have captured a large audience with radio friendly songs like Paranoid Android, Lucky, and Fake Plastic Trees. More than 50% of the material from the upcoming greatest hits will probably be from Ok Computer and earlier just because these are guitar friendly albums.

I think it's funny it's called greatest hits. Did they have many actual "hits" besides creep and karma police? I don't follow that stuff at all but those two seem like the only really heard songs outside the fan base.

most of their singles from the bends onwards enter into the uk charts, maybe not always top 10, but there abouts so, as far as that type of music goes, they are hits. not that this makes the greatest hits thing worthwhile, but no less worthwhile than if the songs had all gone to no.1

Radiohead has one hit and a few other songs that got airplay here and there on the radio. Nothing beyond Creep could even remotely be considered a hit. Though I am speaking from my US perspective, I have no clue as to how much airplay they get in England or elsewhere. Best of might be a better title.

They are an album oriented band, but it might be possible for the set to be put together in a coherent manner. Even though they are both album oriented and the compilations are pretty much chronological I think Mothership for Zeppelin and The Essential Bruce Springsteen were done well, in spite of the fact that neither compilations was needed for either band. Another album oriented band is Pink Floyd and I found Echoes to be done well. It blended in the old with the knew and made them all fit together well. So it might be possible that this compilation comes together coherently and may play well. Though in all three of my examples the bands in question actually participated...

greatest hits and radiohead in the same sentence seems counter intuitive. i don't get it. record company must be trying to make up for the money they didn't make on In Rainbows with the free download maybe. funny how they'll get behind a band and treat them like they are mainstream and were behind them all along after the fact.

in my humble opinion, we should ignore the greatest hits. i can't imagine splitting apart any of the radiohead albums and putting them back together again piecemeal. it seems so unnatural.

I think, because Radiohead is no longer with EMI, that EMI is releasing a greatest hits package to coincide with the tour, and perhaps hop onto the cash cow for all they can one final time (until the next greatest hits package is released 15 years down the line).

Exactly - the same thing will happen with Wilco - eventually.

Ahh... struggling EMI cashing in on one of their greatest artists they let leave... who says the music industry isn't full of romance.

EMI seem fucked. This new guy at the helm is making a nuisance of himself and everyone worthwhile seems to be legging it from the label.