0% chance for a new album this year.

:realmad

I just got off the phone with Jeff and he said it was actually in the 3-5% range but thanks for the insight. I love it when folks state the obvious. They haven't released records in consecutive years since A.M. and Being There so I wasn't referring to the immediate future.

What I was getting at was whether or not anyone's heard anything concrete. It's coming up on a year since SBS so I figured there may be some rumors as to what's next.

Maybe Mermaid Ave. III is in the works. Now that would surely be gripping, compelling and rich, dontcha think Greg? I hear Arlo Guthrie is going to contribute on several tracks. They are going do an alt-country version of "Alice's Restaurant."

There was some talk by Jeff and Co. right after SBS came out that they had material for another album ready, but that they were going to wait a while to put it out. I think I remember them saying something to the effect of "this one's going to be more experimental". Anyone else remember that?

Ive read a few recent interviews that caught up to Jeff and the boys on the road where Jeff said he's been working on stuff with his labtop and that he thinks its

the best stuff Wilco have done.......that got me excited .....

This is just an opinion but I really do feel if wilco were ever going to follow up an album quickly it would be after an album like sky blue sky since that was only

a couple 2 week sessions and not the full year that they took to make YHF and AGIB which were oviously much more intense creative work outs

This is just a revelation- Wilcos next record will be there true masterpiece

I believe they've formally announced the Aussie tour to be the last real outing for '08, save the typical festival appearances. This usually means three things in Wilcoworld:

1. Vacation

2. Side Projects

3. New Material

Thing you gotta remember about these guys is they don't yap everytime they step into a studio, cause they never know how long the process will really be. There could be a dozen new contenders for the next LP sitting on a reel in the loft right now. I remember reading that they demo'd a bunch of SBS material in a studio in freakin California many months before the real sessions. And of course this was only discussed after they actually put the record out.

If I were a gamblin man I would say new album spring 09 with all the rumors popping up this fall/winter.

All joking aside I would expect the following:1. Wilco touring heavily through the summer and into the fall. 2. Everyone to focus on their respective side bands and solo work including minor to major tours from Jeff, Nels, Glen and the Autumn Defense. 3. An outside shot at some sort of end of year Wilco release of another live album or a dvd of some sort. Something that I do think is inevitable at some point is a YHF boxset with all of the demos, outtakes and the commercially released version. New album, probably next summer.

I still think we'll get another live album this year....or who knows...maybe a rarities record? It's rare Wilco goes a year without putting out SOMETHING:

1995: A.M.

1996: Being There

1997: Nothing

1998: Mermaid Avenue

1999: Summer Teeth

2000: Mermaid Avenue II

2001: Was SUPPOSED to be the release date of YHF

2002: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2003: Down With Wilco + More Like the Moon EP

2004: A Ghost is Born + Wilco Book

2005: A Ghost is Born EP + Kicking Television

2006: Sunken Treasure Live in the Northwest

2007: Sky Blue Sky + Sky Blue Sky EP

2008 has to bring something to us; Wilco likes giving us stocking stuffers. We get music, they get money, and it holds us ravenous zealots off until the next studio album.

Some things I'd possibly like to see in 2008...

01. A Wilco live DVD: Please God; If John Mayer fans can have one, why can't we?

02. A Wilco live album: Preferably from the residency, but...

03. A Rarities boxed set: I don't know how many of these songs floated over to the next LP, but Kot seemed to suggest that Wilco averages 10 extra songs per record. The YHF demos seem to confirm this. This is speculative, but if only half of those 10 songs were unreleased or b-sides, they could still squeeze a decent 3 disc box out of it.

04. Extended editions: A.M., Being There, and Summer Teeth with bonus discs, liner notes from David Fricke and Greg Kot, and nice cardboard sleeves would be cool. I'd buy them all, and I'd be buying Summer Teeth for the 3rd time.

I'd expect Wilco 7 in the April- June range of either 2009 or 2010.

After the remianing dates are completed i hope the guys take a long vacation with their families and significant others... God knows they deserve a break. Hopefully we'll get a 10 cd box set of the Riviera shows... with notes from the band discussing how they picked the set lists, photos from the Loft practicing, and Kot's perspective.

I guess we'll see a new record Summer of 2009.

any citation/link to the interview that says they will be taking a more experimental direction?

They issued a joint statement along with REM, who swears absolutely that their next album really is going to be "more rock" this time, they promise! Like, for real this time!

2008 has to bring something to us; Wilco likes giving us stocking stuffers. We get music, they get money, and it holds us ravenous zealots off until the next studio album.

Some things I'd possibly like to see in 2008...

01. A Wilco live DVD: Please God; If John Mayer fans can have one, why can't we?

02. A Wilco live album: Preferably from the residency, but...

03. A Rarities boxed set: I don't know how many of these songs floated over to the next LP, but Kot seemed to suggest that Wilco averages 10 extra songs per record. The YHF demos seem to confirm this. This is speculative, but if only half of those 10 songs were unreleased or b-sides, they could still squeeze a decent 3 disc box out of it.

04. Extended editions: A.M., Being There, and Summer Teeth with bonus discs, liner notes from David Fricke and Greg Kot, and nice cardboard sleeves would be cool. I'd buy them all, and I'd be buying Summer Teeth for the 3rd time.

I agree with everything you say here, I'll just go ahead and add onto #4.... a re-release of the out of print vinyl albums, specifically A.M. and Summerteeth. :pray

I think I saw something on High Road about summer availability for Wilco. Anyone else notice this?

I saw that too and it said "For Support". I would think that means warming up for the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or some other mega rock outfit. I would love to see a The Who/Wilco concert

I saw that too and it said "For Support". I would think that means warming up for the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or some other mega rock outfit. I would love to see a The Who/Wilco concert

Maybe Charleston will get a Zep/Wilco double-bill - I would've been happy with a free t-shirt that said "Wilco Hates the Lowcountry"