Wilco's official word on SNL

Greetings all,

a couple of quick things:

Wilco's show tonight (Wed.) from Club 9:30 in Washington DC will be streamed live by NPR. Show kicks off at 8 p.m. eastern time with a set by John Doe, followed by Wilco at 9. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=19271953

As many of you have no doubt heard, Wilco will appear on NBC's Saturday Night Live this weekend. Check your local listings for time/station. Our apologies go out to the good people of Charleston and elsewhere who were planning on attending the Wilco gig there this weekend. We never take cancellations/postponements lightly but you'll just have to take our word here that logistically, we had no choice. We'll make it up to all of you this summer, we promise. Information on the rescheduled date here http://wilcoworld.net/tours/index.php

thanks as always and more soon.

HQ in DC

The emphasis is mine.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The emphasis is mine.

i'll be curious to see how they make this up to those people looking forward to going to the show that is canceled. on the surface this looks really bad on the band. they really care about being on SNL THAT much?

i'll be curious to see how they make this up to those people looking forward to going to the show that is canceled. on the surface this looks really bad on the band. they really care about being on SNL THAT much?

It wasn't cancelled, guy-I-have-on-ignore.

It wasn't cancelled, guy-I-have-on-ignore.

you have me on ignore but read my post anyway. why even have me on ignore?

i see that this show has been rescheduled. i hope they plan to do more for the fans that they are screwing with this move. i hope they enjoy their time on SNL though. maybe they'll sell a few volkswagens while they're at it.

i see that this show has been rescheduled. i hope they plan to do more for the fans that they are screwing with this move. i hope they enjoy their time on SNL though. maybe they'll sell a few volkswagens while they're at it.

You should start a thread about it!

"We never take cancellations/postponements lightly but you'll just have to take our word here that logistically, we had no choice."

Logistics - the planning, implementation, and coordination of the details of a business or other operation. (from dictionary.com)

So what the statement means is that the only way that they could appear on Saturday Night Live on Saturday, the 1st of March 2008 was to cancel the Charleston concert. In other words, as several have pointed out, appearing on Saturday Night Live trumped a sold out concert planned months ago.

No need for interpretation, perspective or anything else. There you have it.

Though I applaud the response, logistically or otherwise, you had a choice - you could have honored your previous commitment to the date printed on the ticket.

Unless, of course, Lorne Michaels is a whole hell of a lot more powerful than his position at the helm of SNL would suggest. Does he wear a pinky ring? Is he fond of pasta? Does he own an empty warehouse in Secaucus, NJ - a chain of waste management facilities?

Did he call you a shoe shine boy?

What

watch me fall, why is it so hard for you to see people express their opinion about a band's decisions on that band's message board?

watch me fall, why is it so hard for you to see people express their opinion about a band's decisions on that band's message board?

Well - dig - it's like those threads about the commercials - we just went round and round, and not in the cool Ratt video sort of way, either.

I mean, eventually these threads just turn into people posting who are mad, people posting who like to yank the chains of those who are mad, people who actually just came here because it is a Wilco message board and are looking for answers, people who care, people who don't care, people looking for attention, people who pretend they are moderators, etc. etc. etc.

This kind of junk does us no good in the eyes of Wilco management - I'm sure.

Thank you, Marc. Looking good in Tony's eyes is certainly important. I understand it all now.

Well - dig - it's like those threads about the commercials - we just went round and round, and not in the cool Ratt video sort of way, either.

I mean, eventually these threads just turn into people posting who are mad, people posting who like to yank the chains of those who are mad, people who actually just came here because it is a Wilco message board and are looking for answers, people who care, people who don't care, people looking for attention, people who pretend they are moderators, etc. etc. etc.

This kind of junk does us no good in the eyes of Wilco management - I'm sure.

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

See above, in casae you missed it.

Thank you, Marc. Looking good in Tony's eyes is certainly important. I understand it all now.

You know what I mean - we get a lot of stuff, again I use the word grace - that a lot fan boards could only dream about. The chance to go to private shows, an easy time meeting the band, the ability to trade J Hamm's dvds, live shows, etc.

Shit - Jeff knows me by name.

Believe me - I am not a saint - I probably have more pms from moderators giving me hell than anyone here by far. I got tired of that - so I am trying to change my tune. It's not easy - I too, get off on yelling and arguing, and threatening people.

But - at the end of the day - it's all bullshit - so why don't we try to be cool. I had been listening to Wilco for over 12 years before they ever played where I actually lived. It use to be that they seldom played outside of Chicago - so were all lucky in that sense.

Would I be raising hell if I had spent money and made plans to go to Charleston? Fuck yes - but do we need to keep at for days and days and days?

I can certainly understand the behavior - but again, I like to sleep at night, not stay awake because I have a head full of anger.

Yes, everyone who was going to this show has the right to vent and be pissed off about the postponement. Even folks who weren't planning to go have every right to be pissed off by the principle of the thing. But let's try to keep it civil, and let's also try to remember that there's very little chance of any of us swaying folks who disagree on this issue to our side. So feel free to vent away, but don't expect that you're going to make friends and influence people by insisting that yours is the only right way to look at the situation.

You know what I mean - we get a lot of stuff, again I use the word grace - that a lot fan boards could only dream about. The chance to go to private shows, an easy time meeting the band, the ability to trade J Hamm's dvds, live shows, etc.

Believe me - I am not a saint - I probably have more pms from moderators giving me hell than anyone here by far. I got tired of that - so I am trying to change my tune. It's not easy - I too, get off on yelling and arguing, and threatening people.

But - at the end of the day - it's all bullshit - so why don't we try to be cool. I had been listening to Wilco for over 12 years before they ever played where I actually lived. It use to be that they seldom played outside of Chicago - so were all lucky in that sense.

Would I be raising hell if I had spent money and made plans to go to Charleston? Fuck yes - but do we need to keep at for days and days and days?

I can certainly understand the behavior - but again, I like to sleep at night, not stay awake because I have a head full of anger.

In all seriousness, with utmost sincerity, have I ever expressed to you, that you are the coolest person on this board?

Wow, "Round & Round!" I was partial to any of the Motley Crue videos off of "Shout at The Devil," in that era. They had cool third world village warriors and crazily made up women and flying pentagrams.

Gee thanks, Mom Gogo (I couldn't resist).

Analogman, I truly appreciate your post. Thanks for being civil, like I have been. It sucks that it took 12 years for you to finally see them. I saw them open for the Jayhawks in Tampa on the AM tour (what a double bill), then for Sheryl Crow in Tampa in 1996. Many of my students were there to see crow and were complaing the next day about that 'shit band that opened'! Then they did an amazing, extra-long show as headliners in 1999 in St. Pete. Then I had the bug and started thinking about traveling. But I digress. "Would I be raising hell if I had spent money and made plans to go to Charleston? Fuck yes..." See that's my thing. Why aren't you and others raising hell anyway? It doesn't make sense to a principled guy like me, and I admit that it is one of my main attributes and a main fault, that you see the point but only speak out if it affects you. Oh well.

Thanks again for the post and I see your point. As long as no one posts something false about what I posted, as happened after my first I am done words, then I am over it.

Cheers, Mr. Bolan and peace to all my fellow VCers.

Pin it.

Though I applaud the response, logistically or otherwise, you had a choice - you could have honored your previous commitment to the date printed on the ticket.

Unless, of course, Lorne Michaels is a whole hell of a lot more powerful than his position at the helm of SNL would suggest. Does he wear a pinky ring? Is he fond of pasta? Does he own an empty warehouse in Secaucus, NJ - a chain of waste management facilities?

Did he call you a shoe shine boy?

What

Dude, I've actually agreed with alot of the things you've posted. But at some point just let it go.

I have one idea, and I think it's a pretty good one - how about you stop clicking into these threads? :brow

And how about you stop trying to tell me what to do, k?

I clicked on the thread to read the band's apology because I hadn't gotten an email yet. Not to see the same old argument that's been presented for the last 5 days.