Wilco's official word on SNL

Man I know this country is based on the Bill of Rights & stuff. But I think that attitude/language is a little harsh. Damn... :no

FYI: I don't believe in the right to bear arms either. (Other thread, I know.)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's a real classy article.

Mack Rawden

Title: Music Editor

Known To Say: "I plan on raising (my kids) in a seedy environment of second hand smoke, swearing, and gradual disappointment. The type of place where only artists and madmen thrive and the sane ooze into debauchery."

A Lie: Mack was the original drummer for Twisted Sister but quit after lead singer Dee Snider made a disparaging comment about the Chicago Cubs. He defends his impulsive departure vehemently to this day.

Friend Me: On Facebook

E-mail: mackrawden (at) cinemablend

:yay

His line was "awkward" w/ a roll of the eyes. It was cute. It's SOOO surreal!!! And yes, he's STILL wearing his black shirt, jeans and jacket :thumbup

Haha!

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/Rant-Wilc...et-It-8361.html

"I admit it. I used to enjoy Wilco. They were never my favorite band' date=' but they were upbeat, interesting—good enough for a run in the CD player on a warm, sunny day. I was always keen on the guitar parts and the subtle synth that permeated much of their music. Then, when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot dropped (remember, this is when I was still a wee teenager) it was played everywhere, even in my southern Indiana hometown that was chock-full of rednecks listenin’ to that feel good, feel sad, yeehaw modern pop-country bullshit (That, my friends, is a huge crossover). I remember the initial feeling of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot sucking me in with a little something extra, something not quite tangible that I could never really grasp. I only knew I liked it and left it at that.

I’m not ashamed to admit that it had been a bit before I, very recently, rediscovered Wilco. With their newer album, Sky Blue Sky, they’ve simply lost that competitive edge, that little bit of innovativeness they once sought out, or, at least were better at finding. I wasn’t overly disappointed or surprised, even. But I did need something to reaffirm my feelings towards Wilco. Naturally, I popped in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I was halfway through, listening fairly actively, when it hit me.

I realized that it was Wilco’s lyrics that had sucked me in, not so long before. Not because I thought Jeff Tweedy’s lyrics were overly well written—in fact, they’re frequently a wad of drivel—but because they are filled with basic imagery that anyone could relate to. They suck you in with universal concepts like love and nostalgic reminders of past times. It is these lyrics (coupled with an inert anger that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot could make people feel special without being overly special), upon closer inspection, that became why I, not so subtly, but rather passionately, began to loathe Wilco.

Now, anyone could make a case that the world of music is filled with nostalgia and concepts like love. Well, I’ll beat you to the punch line. In fact, according to Lip Furia’s book The Poets of Tin Pan Alley, between the years 1920 and 1940, 85 percent of songs written were about love. Okay, okay, point taken. Thus, it’s not simply the concepts Tweedy focuses on; it’s his unique way of brainwash wording. You see, my ultimate problem with Wilco and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is that the music could be reminding us of something that once reminded us of something else. What kind of fake, prepackaged nostalgia is that?

It was finally apparent why Wilco had become so universal. Their music is set up to wholeheartedly identify with whatever the band wants listeners to acknowledge. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is, in a sense, a compendium of vague feelings. Let me explain. Van Morrison can toss me pretty lyrics with Astral Weeks, and I could love them or loathe them, but I could never fully understand the utter depths of cracked and jagged emotion his soul is pouring out in the song. I sound obtuse even attempting to write about it. Oppositely, people can totally get Wilco’s lyrics and the sentiments behind those lyrics. Take the song “Heavy Metal Drummer” as a prime example. In this song, Wilco is reminiscing in la-de-da land about a simpler time. The lyrics consist of lines such as, “I miss the innocence I’ve known/playing KISS covers, beautiful and stoned.” Now, I’m not trying to exhibit that everyone can relate to being stoned (heaven forbid I offend some Jesus-fearing Wilco lovers) and I’m certainly not convinced that every person has played a cover of KISS music; but, every person can understand and relate, at a fundamental level, to an innocent time nearly identical to the one written about. Clearly, many people find the simplicity of this format to be intricate, brilliant. I find it boring. Seriously, disregarding the slight intricacy of Wilco’s music itself, couldn’t anyone write in this manner? Haven’t they, with varying levels of success, already done this, and maybe better?

In the end, I don’t think anyone expects Wilco to always be exceptional; even artists with moments of sheer brilliancy, like Van Morrison, can sometimes suck. But, after this particular listening of the album I consistently hear hailed as Wilco’s greatest to date, the magic was stripped away, leaving me feeling fairly dirty. So, damn you, Wilco, if the depths of your words and convictions are only surface deep, why the hell do people find you so great? And, as many, many people seem to love this surface reflection, what does that say about us as lovers of music in the first place? If we know we enjoy surface deep, we need something a little more rooted to kick our thinking caps back into gear."[/quote']

Actually things are quite interesting. Check out the new Farrar tune about Keith Richards snorting his old mans ashes. It's called Cocaine and Ashes.

Yeah, it's a good tune, but I wasn't talking about Farrar. I was talking about the board with his name on it. He must be so proud of you all.

One of my all-time favorite artists appeared several times on this sketch show, in its heyday, with a far greater proportion of the potential viewing audience tuning in.

obscurity

Cool. Thanks for the link.

my wife keeps trying to make me feel better about the charleston postponement by telling me i can catch 'em on snl.

my suggestion is that they add a second charleston date in august to make amends. the first sod out in a few days and i'm sure they could get a second sellout in a few weeks time. it'd be a treat for the longtime fans.

my wife keeps trying to make me feel better about the charleston postponement by telling me i can catch 'em on snl.

my suggestion is that they add a second charleston date in august to make amends. the first sod out in a few days and i'm sure they could get a second sellout in a few weeks time. it'd be a treat for the longtime fans.

Now there's an idea. I'd definitely hit both shows.

Now there's an idea. I'd definitely hit both shows.

Me too! My wife and I were discussing this last night. The only way they could truly make it up to us, if they played extra long (like 3 hours) like they did for the residency shows, or if they schedule another date.. If they do one of those things, they will be 100% forgiven in my book.

One of my all-time favorite artists appeared several times on this sketch show, in its heyday, with a far greater proportion of the potential viewing audience tuning in.

obscurity

Who?

Yeah.

Redbone rules. His stuff got a lot of spins in our house when I was a kid.

Me too! My wife and I were discussing this last night. The only way they could truly make it up to us, if they played extra long (like 3 hours) like they did for the residency shows, or if they schedule another date.. If they do one of those things, they will be 100% forgiven in my book.

I saw in another thread where you said you'd be moving 6 hours away (at least I think that was you). Where you moving?

I saw in another thread where you said you'd be moving 6 hours away (at least I think that was you). Where you moving?

I'm transferring jobs and moving to Greenville SC. It's actually more like 4 hours away (type-o)

It's not 100% official yet, but it's more than likely going to happen.

I'm transferring jobs and moving to Greenville SC. It's actually more like 4 hours away (type-o)

It's not 100% official yet, but it's more than likely going to happen.

Oh ok. Well Greenville is actually a pretty cool town. Plus it's close to Asheville. Lots of shows!

My hope is after the cancelation and how they say in email they WILL make it up to us is no opening band and a 2 1/2 -3 hour show like they did in Chicago. That would be worth the wait IMO.

I am still disappointed as this was the night to get my soul revived but will just listen to bootlegs of chicago and 9:30 club. I aint watching saturday night live...

I think All Charleston folks should boycott Saturday Night Live in Protest of making our band cancel on us....

We southerns are proud folk.......