Guest Jules
firt time i've seen them. have they always dressed like they are going w/ judge smails to the yacht club or is somebody telling them to play up the whole ivey league thing for PR?

Don't know. I know absolutely nothing about them (ivy league, etc) and just kind of liked the tunes. Don't own the record, but I might check it out.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ. Thank goodness you people are finally coming to your senses.

Conversation in the car last week:

Sarah, picking music on the iPod: These guys are on SNL this week.

M. (hris, rolling eyes: Yeah, everyone thinks they're the second coming. There was a thousand page thread about them on Sound Opinions. You said you didn't like them before when I played them for you.

Sarah, listening a few more minutes: Ugh, that guy's voice. You're right, it's bad. (switches iPod to Califone)

This child has grown up on a steady diet of ska, reggae, rock steady, soukous and dub. I trust her opinion. :lol

Guest Jules
I believe it was Amy Adams... I don't even know who she is.

I thought the show was absolutely horrendous minus a skit or two. I think they blew their load on the Tina Fey hosted episode.

It was much better than the Ellen Page/Wilco show. At least there were a couple laughs, and Weekend Update was well done.

Guest Jules
The only part I saw was a little of Weekend Update and Keenan Thompson was playing some kind of comedian? I didn't get it so I turned the channel.

except for that part

I believe it was Amy Adams... I don't even know who she is.

She's currently in the movie "Enchanted". She was also the girl who marries Leonardo DiCaprio's character in "Catch Me If You Can."

The only part I saw was a little of Weekend Update and Keenan Thompson was playing some kind of comedian? I didn't get it so I turned the channel.

I'd have worried about you if you did get it. It was pretty indicative of 90% of the show.

I just have to think that they could do a better job. I like many of the players on the show and there is some talent there. With what "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" are doing night in and night out, SNL really can't come up with better material for 75 minutes a week?

Jules - I'm with you on most of the Weekend Report. It is generally very good.... maybe they need to extend it further? Even if it's just Amy Poehler smiling for 10 minutes. I'd rather watch that.

Guest Jules
Jules - I'm with you on most of the Weekend Report. It is generally very good.... maybe they need to extend it further? Even if it's just Amy Poehler smiling for 10 minutes. I'd rather watch that.

Seems like Poehler and Myers are putting most of their writing time into WU, instead of other sketches.

I actually liked the Digital Short and the Project Runway/Fierce skit. The Clemens skit had its moments too. That's 2-3 sketches, more than I can usually say.

She's currently in the movie "Enchanted". She was also the girl who marries Leonardo DiCaprio's character in "Catch Me If You Can."

That girl is pretty foxy, not gonna lie.

But still nowhere close to Jenna Fischer.

Didn't see it so I can't comment on the SNL related tidbits.

And she's currently in "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" with the lovely Frances McDormand.

The Vampire Weekend album is ok. I caught their first song on SNL and thought they sounded flat (not musically...but lacking energy). I also thought the same thing about Wilco and (especially) Spoon, so maybe it's just an SNL thing.

Spoon in particular were dissapointing. I really dig that "Cherry Bomb" tune, and it sounded totally lifeless and bland on SNL.

I like the Vampire Weekend record a ton. I don't get the criticisms about their style. It has nothing to do with the music, so why do people spend even a second thinking about it?

As for whether they are ska or African enough in their music, I don't really know. I don't know much about those two genres, but I like their songs, so I don't care if they are failing at making African influenced music. They are succeeding at making music that sounds good to me.

I like the Vampire Weekend record a ton. I don't get the criticisms about their style. It has nothing to do with the music, so why do people spend even a second thinking about it?

Well, you would think that. You're wealthy.

They are succeeding at making music that sounds good to me.

the ivy league yacht look doesn't matter that much to me, that part of my crtique was more observation than anything. however, the 'goofy' style in their performance and vocals proved annoying to me...what can i say, i like their recorded work and don't like them live.

As for whether they are ska or African enough in their music, I don't really know. I don't know much about those two genres, but I like their songs, so I don't care if they are failing at making African influenced music. They are succeeding at making music that sounds good to me.

After listening to the album, I conclude that these dudes might be good after practicing some more. Like, say, about three or four years. At this point, they sound like enthusiastic amateurs, kinda like The Strokes did back in 2001.

After listening to the album, I conclude that these dudes might be good after practicing some more. Like, say, about three or four years. At this point, they sound like enthusiastic amateurs, kinda like The Strokes did back in 2001.

i don't really get where you're coming from. their record sounds pretty great. they are very tight and i really like the arrangements of the songs. the album has a very cohesive sound, and is pretty fresh sounding as well. i think they are all talented enough at their instruments. i really don't hear anything amateur about the album.