• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always forget, but SNL really highlighted for me how much different his voice sounds now (as compared to say 10 years ago). It's almost a completely different style of singing. I don't like it as much (I liked the rawer sound), but even as I was thinking that I had to admit he is a much better singer now, with way better control of his voice.

That's so true -- I recently compared/contrasted Jeff's voice on 'Too Far Apart' live at Residency vs. studio. He sings 2-3 octaves higher now on 'Too Far' and the song is twice as good because of it.

That's so true -- I recently compared/contrasted Jeff's voice on 'Too Far Apart' live at Residency vs. studio. He sings 2-3 octaves higher now on 'Too Far' and the song is twice as good because of it.

I think it's only one octave, but yeah, it's definitely a better song the way he sings it now.

Guest Jules

I have a good friend that is into Kenny Chesney, James Blunt, etc. (you get the idea). Anyway, I convinced him to watch the SNL performances. Here was his email from this morning:

I taped the show and watched them yesterday. I have to say that I really did not like their music at all. Too much jazz and crap for me. I could not get into it at all. Sorry. His voice sounds like the guy from Train.
:rotfl
I'm still trying to figure out the jazz part.

They had horns, fer chrissakes. Therefore it MUST be jazz.

Guest Jules

A few posts on an SNL board where they review each sketch.

Wilco

Never heard them before - very unique and I liked it, especially the second song with the cool instrumental sections. I always love hearing new music (New to me anyways).

Wilco- Very unique sound, reminded me of the blues

I Forgot to Grade the Musical Group. I guess that I will give them A because I Enjoyed the Organ in the First Song and I Enjoyed the Jamming in the Second Song.
A few posts on an SNL board where they review each sketch.

How hard did you have to search to find the positive reviews? I'm wondering how many of them said things like "OMG who R these old guyz?!!?" and "Soundz like crap my dad would listen 2" and "I wish they'd give Ashlee Simpson a chance to prove herself!!!:)!!" and "Wilco sold out their fans in Charleston!!1!"

Guest Jules
How hard did you have to search to find the positive reviews? I'm wondering how many of them said things like "OMG who R these old guyz?!!?" and "Soundz like crap my dad would listen 2" and "I wish they'd give Ashlee Simpson a chance to prove herself!!!:)!!" and "Wilco sold out their fans in Charleston!!1!"

Actually, I posted the only reviews that included the musical act. Many of them only review the sketches. So, 3 out of 3 were positive.

Guest Muncle Douchey

i didn't hate the suit, but aside from my initial "holy shit where'd he get that?" reaction, i don't really like it.

i certainly couldn't care less whether or not he wears it though.

Guest Jules
Wilco - "Two Songs I Don't Know The Names To"

- Never got into the band, though I have heard a little of their stuff here and there. I liked the first song way more than I expected, but I was completely ambivalent towards the second.

Wilco -

- Never have heard this band before, & wasn't really in the mood to listen at all.

Hate It Here": Loved it, of course. Though I had forgotten how weird Jeff Tweedy looks when he sings. A band really can't make the big $$ without a token heartthrob nowadays.

"Walken": Really happy that Lorne gave Wilco the time to perform two whole album cuts without trimming them short. Nice guitar lines, and the band could not have been tighter.

Musical Performances: I liked their music. Kind of somewhat rejuvanating. The only thing I know is their first song, or both, are from "Sky blue Sky".
Hate It Here": Loved it, of course. Though I had forgotten how weird Jeff Tweedy looks when he sings. A band really can't make the big $$ without a token heartthrob nowadays.

:rotfl That's rich....

"Walken": Really happy that Lorne gave Wilco the time to perform two whole album cuts without trimming them short. Nice guitar lines, and the band could not have been tighter.

Ummm, didn't they cut short HIH?

Also, as others have commented on Ellen Page -- she sure is cute as a button, but I think she yelled all of her speaking parts. She will learn that it's not needed to do that in live theatre. It bordered on annoying.