I don't know if this was mentioned on anyone else's post, but at the very end of the show when everyone is on stage, did anyone else see Nels just standing in the front looking lost.

That completely made me crack up. The poor guy. I saw him standing there looking so lost and socially awkward, and I wished someone would hug him.

I was expecting him to wear his red pants last night, since he told me he always wears his red pants on Saturday nights. I guess he decided to get spiffed up and went with the tie instead. It makes sense, though--the songs they played aren't ones that really merited his flamboyant rockstar pants. It still would've been cool, though.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest... I enjoyed both performances, but I too wondered about how they might play for the uninitiated. For example, Wilco fans know that Tweedy has a dry, ironic sense of humor, so the suit plays into that, and we think it's winking fun... but I wonder how many viewers just thought it looked lame?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Yeah, we get it, and I'm sure the jokes were non-stop backstage, but to the virgins and haters Jeff probably looked like the "pissy artist" he swears he's not in the Sunken Treasure dvd (that or John Lennon with roses). Do I care what those people think of Wilco? Not in the least -- but you know Jeff does.

P.S. I would've paid four figures to watch that performance with Jay Farrar (you know, that guy who once told Jeff, "you have no idea what its like to be onstage every night with someone who loves himself as much as you do").

Also, it looked like Jeff had had his hair done by someone; then he goes and ruins it :lol Pat's hair looked great too.

And I would love to see those promo stills; they were terrific.

Also, it looked like Jeff had had his hair done by someone; then he goes and ruins it :lol Pat's hair looked great too.

Yeah, hair product apparently flowed like wine backstage.

If "virgin" watchers came to the conclusion that JT is a pissy artist because he wore the Nudie suit, they weren't really virgins. That suit doesn't excude "pissy" if you've never heard of UT, JT, or Wilco. Lame, quirky, bizarre, or even retarded (as my BIL said), but not pissy.

And I would love to see those promo stills; they were terrific.

Speaking of hair, did anyone else notice how clean and dry Glen's hair was? He's usually soaking wet by the time either of these songs are played at a regular show.

They all looked like they were having a great time with it and well, that made me happy too. Sure, I might have liked to have heard a track from Summerteeth in addition to "Hate it Here" but no matter. I enjoyed their performance. The Manuel (or Nudie) was a welcome touch. I was beginning to think Jeff didn't own anything but denim. ;)

cheers,

Kevin

- Fred Armisen's comedian character on the news was hilarious - he is quite a talent. "It's just...I mean...I have three cousins?"

I thought that bit was easily the funniest thing last night. Reminded me of a friend of mine who has too many thoughts flying around in his damaged brain. And the surreal 'dream sequence' bit.

Should probably be the last time, though. Sorry, Jeff, but there's very few people who could possibly pull off wearing that suit ... like maybe Lyle Lovett?

I sort of like them - many have worn them: A lot of 60s county dudes, The Flying Burrito Brothers, (some of) The Grateful Dead, Mike Mills, etc.

I think his looks too loose or something.

but other than Nat X, what skit chops you got?)

My inner Nat X said this to me the other day: "Why they call the slippery ice black ice? They oughtta call it white ice, because the white man trips up the black man every damn time!"

Yeah, she is said to be a good actress but I did not see much evidence of it last night. Cute as the cutest button in the universe, though.

Anytime I see someone wearing tennis shoes with a suit, I think of John Lennon. I'll say one thing, the band is tight. I still think their sound is lacking some balls though, for lack of a better term

Yeah I don't if balls are the right word but I thought that sounded really flat.

In the performance of Hate It Here, someone hits a really funky note in the first chorus, and afterwards you can catch Mikael sharing a laugh with Glenn and Jeff about the screw-up. Great moment.

As for the performances, after watching a couple of times, you really have to take into account the crappy "mixed for tv" sound and the lame "theatrical" camera angles and pans. The performances were tight as hell. But the way it's presented doesn't do any musician justice, really. Unless its a lame ass pop star or some such garbage, that stuff is created for that kind of environment.

If "virgin" watchers came to the conclusion that JT is a pissy artist because he wore the Nudie suit, they weren't really virgins. That suit doesn't excude "pissy" if you've never heard of UT, JT, or Wilco. Lame, quirky, bizarre, or even retarded (as my BIL said), but not pissy.

It might not indicate that he's acting pissy, but it would certainly tell me he had that capacity -- if I didn't know anything about JT or his sense of humor, I would watch SNL last night and think he was probably a pretentious artist.

Both of those tunes put a big grin on my face. I have no Wilcos in my immediate future, and have had such a hankerin'. Thanks to the kind soul who captured these. Only way I'm staying up that late is if I'm standing right in front of them.

What fun.

Though Jeff, my husband needs to take you shoe shopping -- some red half cowboy boots are just the ticket with that IMHO. The white sneakers just don't cut it. Maybe these.

Oh my yes.

Lennon's tennis shoes and white suit fashion statement inspired me to buy my first pair of white Converse.

It might not indicate that he's acting pissy, but it would certainly tell me he had that capacity -- if I didn't know anything about JT or his sense of humor, I would watch SNL last night and think he was probably a pretentious artist.

What if he wore these boots with the suit? bru_half_1.jpg What would the n00bs think then?

What if he wore these boots with the suit? bru_half_1.jpg What would n00bs think then?

I bet we could chart potential reactions to various wardrobe choices... perhaps even add it to WilcoBase. Such a project would probably require numerous face-to-face gatherings, though. And lots of comfort food. And beer.

Oh, make no mistake, I do too....in fact I want a pair of those cuties for mine own self! Thay are wicked pretty.

I meant, "perish the thought!" from the viewpoint of an I-don't-get-this-Wilco-band SNL viewer.....as in, ack! Too much style! They must be pissy! :lol

See now I think that would be incredibly hot.

*swoooooon*

Plus, red would match the flowers and the black soles would be perfect. I am not sold on the black shirt either, but first things first :lol