I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be real interested in knowing more about Obama's relationship with this Bill Ayers fella. I'll confess that I don't know much about him but I do know his old lady is Bernadine Dohrn. She was quoted after the Sharon Tate murders as saying "Dig it, first they killed those pigs, then ate dinner in the same room with them, then they even shoved a fork into a victim's stomach! Wild! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson!" She had the audacity to proclaim 1970 as "The Year of the Fork" in his honor. :blink

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be real interested in knowing more about Obama's relationship with this Bill Ayers fella. I'll confess that I don't know much about him but I do know his old lady is Bernadine Dohrn. She was quoted after the Sharon Tate murders as saying "Dig it, first they killed those pigs, then ate dinner in the same room with them, then they even shoved a fork into a victim's stomach! Wild! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson!" She had the audacity to proclaim 1970 as "The Year of the Fork" in his honor. :blink

Why do you hate Obamerica?

The Weather Underground - Documentary

Fugitive Days - William Ayers

More books about The Weathermen

Thanks Aman. :thumbup

Also -

William C. ("Bill") Ayers (born 1944) is a Distinguished Professor of Education at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He was a 1960s-era radical and former member of the Weather Underground.

Ayers is the son of Thomas Ayers, former Chairman and CEO of Commonwealth Edison. He grew up in Glen Ellyn, a suburb of Chicago, and attended Lake Forest Academy. According to his memoir, he became radicalized at the University of Michigan where he became involved in the New Left and the SDS. He briefly worked as a schoolteacher.

Ayers joined the Weatherman group in 1969, but went underground with several associates after the Greenwich Village townhouse explosion in 1970, in which three members (Ted Gold, Terry Robbins, and Diana Oughton, who was Ayers' girlfriend at the time) were killed while constructing a nail bomb. While underground, he and fellow member Bernardine Dohrn married and had two children, Zayd and Malik. They were purged from the group in the mid-1970s, and turned themselves in to the authorities in 1981. All charges against him were dropped because of prosecutorial misconduct during the long search for the fugitives. They later became legal guardians of Chesa Boudin, the biological son of former Weathermen David Gilbert and Kathy Boudin, after his parents were arrested for their part in the Brinks robbery (1981).

In the 1980s Ayers undertook graduate training in education and earned his doctorate in 1987. He has edited and written many books and articles on education theory, policy and practice. He was tapped by Mayor Richard M. Daley to shape Chicago's now nationally-renowned school reform program. He has also served on the board of the Woods Fund of Chicago, a anti-poverty philanthropic foundation, since 1999. Barack Obama served on the same board from 1999 to 2002.

In 2001, Ayers published Fugitive Days: A Memoir. Ayers's interview with the New York Times about his book was published on September 11, 2001, and opens with his statement, "I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough." The interview also includes his reaction (in his book) to Emile De Antonio's 1976 documentary film about the Weathermen: "He was 'embarrassed by the arrogance, the solipsism, the absolute certainty that we and we alone knew the way. The rigidity and the narcissism." Ayers later explained that by "no regrets" he meant that he didn't regret his efforts to oppose the Vietnam War, and that "we didn't do enough" meant that efforts to stop the war were obviously inadequate as it dragged on for a decade.New Politics reviewer Jesse Lemisch has contrasted Ayers's recollections with those of other Weathermen and alleged serious factual errors.[5]

In the fall of 2006, Ayers was asked not to attend a progressive educators' conference on the basis that the organizers did not want to risk an association with his past. In 2008, controversy arose surrounding his connection with presidential candidate Barack Obama.

In 2001, Ayers published Fugitive Days: A Memoir. Ayers's interview with the New York Times about his book was published on September 11, 2001, and opens with his statement, "I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough."

Sounds like a great guy!

There's quite a bit of interesting info about the Weather Underground in a few books I have here - William Manchester's "The Glory and the Dream" and especially Martin Lee's "Acid Dreams".

I'd highly recommend the Lee book for anyone interested in the late sixties counterculture. A fascinating book.

christianity is a cult?

Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.

The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!

The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!

Man in crowd: I'm not...

The Crowd: Sch!

Obama served on a 10 person board with Ayers and met him at a couple of local political events. I'm far more suspicious of John McCain's associations with people responsible for a lot more violence and death than Ayers is (such as our dear President).

I'm not by any means defending anything Ayers did in his Weather Underground days, but he seems pretty harmless nowadays and Obama's connection with him is pretty flimsy.

Ayers and Dohran actually came to my college last year for a showing of the weather underground documentary. It seemed like they cooled out quite a bit since their "glory days". I highly recommend the doc.

i hung out w/ a guy in college who would shoot bottle rockets out of his asscrack and/or bellybutton...he's mellowed since then too and i never feel the urge to light firewroks out of any of my orrifices.

F... fire... fireworks? From the butt?!?!

Well I know what I'm doing this weekend!

PS - 'Baracky' is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

a purple half donkey half elphant sounds strange I kno but were all used to it now..... in the future

Nah, I think we've been dealing with that now...in the present, I mean.

Ayers and Dohran actually came to my college last year for a showing of the weather underground documentary. It seemed like they cooled out quite a bit since their "glory days". I highly recommend the doc.

That's awesome. I'll be looking for that one. :thumbup

Awkward . . .

After her conversation with Angelou, Clinton took three questions from the audience. The crowd was audibly stunned by one of them.

"I love you, Hillary. I always have, I always will," said a woman in the first row. That drew approving cheers.

But then she brought up the most taboo of all taboos at Clinton campaign events.

"I felt so sorry for you when Bill had his affair," the woman said. "I think the best way to overcome it is to become president."

She then quickly asked a question about whom Clinton would choose as a running mate.

As the audience murmured in shock, Clinton said that it is too early to speculate about a running mate. She did not speak to the subject of her husband's involvement with Monica Lewinsky.