The first song at your wedding?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First song was a tearjerker country song picked out by my wife. (lesson #1, fellas: compromise) :lol

After a few sappy songs for the first-dance/parent-dance/etc, my first pick to open up the dancefloor to everybody was "Sound System" by Operation Ivy. Approximately 4 of my friends joined me on the dancefloor, but it was awesome!! :thumbup

We got married outdoors in the mountains. We had a guitar and a mandolin guy playing a medley of GD and Folk tunes for the ceremony and a Bluegrass band for the reception. I don't recall a first tune, just lots of good music in general.

Our first dance was a 38-minute Dark Star!

First song was a tearjerker country song picked out by my wife. (lesson #1, fellas: compromise) :lol

After a few sappy songs for the first-dance/parent-dance/etc, my first pick to open up the dancefloor to everybody was "Sound System" by Operation Ivy. Approximately 4 of my friends joined me on the dancefloor, but if was awesome!! :thumbup

Operation Ivy is a fine choice, as is

We had a band for the ceremony, consisting of my future bro-in-law (guitar), and three other friends (mandolin, pedal steel, and guitar).

Holy hell, that sounds freaking amazing.

Unmarried, but I would have to say "A Hundred Dreams Ago", a rather rare Duke Ellington piece from the album Piano In The Foreground. Its a beautiful song, a nice, slow pretty song with a little stride piano in there. Actually, any Duke Ellington ballad which consists of simply Duke on piano sans orchestra would be a great wedding song.

Here's a link to a clip of the song

We danced to Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately". Probably cliche, but tasteful nonetheless (and I love Van's music).

My wife danced with her father to Louise' "What A Wonderful World". He had 3 open heart surgeries prior to our wedding (the first when she was a teen), so his presence and participation was monumental to everyone, and their dance together was probably the highlight of the reception. He died about two years ago (seven years after our wedding).

If they have a strong and healthy relationship, I have found that the father/daughter dance is a much more meaningful and significant tradition than the first dance.

If they have a strong and healthy relationship, I have found that the father/daughter dance is a much more meaningful and significant tradition than the first dance.

This is true. My wife and I both say that so much of our wedding day is a blur, but her strongest memory of the reception is her dancing with her dad. He died very unexpectedly a few years later, so I'm really glad that they got to experience that together.

I now have 3 little girls of my own, so I could potentially get a lot of practice at doing this if I'm lucky enough to still be around for it. Regardless of what songs play, I expect to be a weepy mess.

I now have 3 little girls of my own, so I could potentially get a lot of practice at doing this if I'm lucky enough to still be around for it. Regardless of what songs play, I expect to be a weepy mess.

I have two girls myself, and I'm trying to get a head start with their taste in music and potential song selection. I use to sing "My Darling" to my firstborn when she was still in her mommy's belly. Her current favorites are Apartment Story by the National (she calls it "Pin Your Flowers On"), Walken, and Hanna Montana's music. Hey, she is still 5 after all.

And you're right, I'm going to be a wreck should I be fortunate enough to experience my daughters getting married.

oh, i will be picking out most of the music for the dj as well. i'm sure the list will get checked but i was told this is my main area.

In my typical procrastinating manner, I put it all together with track listings the night before the wedding. I couldn't get to sleep that night, so everything worked out okay.

Stardust mixed into X's 12 inch version of Wild Thing.

Matt - do we get to check the wedding playlist?

fine, checked three times!

i'm stealing kyle's idea & creating a website for our wedding so i'll have the playlist up there.

I have two girls myself, and I'm trying to get a head start with their taste in music and potential song selection. I use to sing "My Darling" to my firstborn when she was still in her mommy's belly.

Yep. I started off with singing "My Darling" to my firstborn, as well. Though, as time went by, Tom Wait's "Coney Island Baby" has taken on a special significance for her.

My second daughter I used to sing Neil Young's "Helpless" and Wait's "Ol' 55" when she was first born. No logic behind those song choices--they just popped into my head to sing to her and she liked them, so I kept singing them.

My third daughter really likes the Grateful Dead. So, I dunno, maybe "Truckin'" or something. :lol

Unmarried, but I've already decided that whoever I marry and I are going to first hoedown to:

Bob Dylan - I Want You

and then somberly dance to:

The Beach Boys - God Only Knows

and then kick it up again with:

Wilco - I'm The Man Who Loves You

and then deal with all the other father/mother dance stuff then start boogeying to:

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

and etc. until we end with:

Daniel Johnston - True Love Will Find You In The End