Kicking Television Footage

Okay, I seriously apologize if this has been mentioned before, I've been gone a while. If you have HD cable from Comcast you should be able to find this on the Havoc OnDemand channel. If not, those folks are kind enough to give us some choice footage from the Kicking Television gigs. Remember those?

http://havoctv.com/index?a=1143

Okay, I seriously apologize if this has been mentioned before, I've been gone a while. If you have HD cable from Comcast you should be able to find this on the Havoc OnDemand channel. If not, those folks are kind enough to give us some choice footage from the Kicking Television gigs. Remember those?

Wow, I haven't seen these before... and I had always assumed that the video or visual aspect of the show didn't turn out so hot ... but seeing that footage, clearly the shows kicked television ass.

Was it ever made clear as to why they shelved the DVD release? It's really going to be buried treasure in years to come when they eventually dig it back out for Anthologies and whatnots isn't it.

Just made an Xvid of it,enjoy:

http://sharebee.com/cd54b3d2

The band streamed this on their site back in '05, as I recall. I didn't understand then why they decided not to release the DVD, and watching this again, I still can't figure it out. :mellow
Yea, looks good to me....the "young" Wilco...

LouieB

This video has actually been around for awhile, it was streamed on the band's website leading up to the release of the Kicking Television DVD. Beyond it no footage of the concerts have surfaced.

--Mike

Wow, I haven't seen these before... and I had always assumed that the video or visual aspect of the show didn't turn out so hot ... but seeing that footage, clearly the shows kicked television ass.

Was it ever made clear as to why they shelved the DVD release? It's really going to be buried treasure in years to come when they eventually dig it back out for Anthologies and whatnots isn't it.

I seem to remember something mentioned about how the footage didn't make it seem like there was an audience, and thus it didn't seem live enough. So what they did was (and here's the clever bit!) remove all the film part of it, and made it just into a cd. On cd that audience really comes alive. I think that's the official word. Either that, or John got pissed that he looks like he's taking his jacket on and off repeatedly throughout the song. I personally think that they had a falling out with the director, cos that Kicking TV footage looks a million times better than any of the live stuff on I'm Trying To Break Your Heart, and the band was happy for that to go out.

after seeing this, it's no wonder the DVD got shelved. Didn't they have steady cams back in '05?

You think that Sam would've been given the budget to do a typical pro-shot setup, given I'm sure the big pockets at Nonsuch funded this:

Camera in the pit straight on

Camera in the pit to the left

camera in the pit to the right

camera stage left

camera stage right

camera in the way back.

Basically you need a camera focused on each individual member, plus some good group shots.

I seem to remember something mentioned about how the footage didn't make it seem like there was an audience, and thus it didn't seem live enough. So what they did was (and here's the clever bit!) remove all the film part of it, and made it just into a cd. On cd that audience really comes alive. I think that's the official word. Either that, or John got pissed that he looks like he's taking his jacket on and off repeatedly throughout the song. I personally think that they had a falling out with the director, cos that Kicking TV footage looks a million times better than any of the live stuff on I'm Trying To Break Your Heart, and the band was happy for that to go out.

"I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" was Sam's own film that Wilco gave him permission to do while I think (though not sure) Wilco asked him to do the Kicking Television Shows, which gives Wilco the right over the latter.

I was at a show where Jeff expalained that the DVD wasn't exciting enough. Might have been a Tweedy show, but someone hollared "when is the DVD coming out?" And the answer was "it's not." "why?" "It wasn't exciting enough."

Oh well

You think that Sam would've been given the budget to do a typical pro-shot setup, given I'm sure the big pockets at Nonsuch funded this:

Basically you need a camera focused on each individual member, plus some good group shots.

b/c i am geeky this way i remember that:

--each night there were 4 cameras operating--so every night the crew would get different coverage of each song that was on list for the dvd

--the songs were in a different order in the setlist every night, resulting in the jacket on/jacket off phenomenon

--shot on film, not video = pretty, but expensive

this KT vid was used to promote the album.