• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww. I am saddened. In the past few years, I really have come to appreciate Dio's contributions to Black Sabbath. And his contribution to modern culture, \m/, will always be appreciated and cherished. He was a New York state native; I hope the state will honor him in some way.

does he need his own thread? Dio RIP

anyway, never a huge fan. however, growing up in the late 70's and 80's i swear i heard a radio commercial for dio coming to town every 6 months. didn't know he was that old. rock on!!

My first intro to Black Sabbath was Live Evil - It was around 84 and I was in 6th grade. That record didn't make me delve into the Sabbath albums, but albums with Dio. I bought an 8 track of Rising(Rainbow), than Long, Live Rock on record. Finally I bought Elf's Trying to Burn the Sun. Anyway he one the first members of any band that I ever looked into his or hers discography. And I never minded him singing Ozzy' songs.

My first intro to Black Sabbath was Live Evil - It was around 84 and I was in 6th grade. That record didn't make me delve into the Sabbath albums, but albums with Dio. I bought an 8 track of Rising(Rainbow), than Long, Live Rock on record. Finally I bought Elf's Trying to Burn the Sun. Anyway he one the first members of any band that I ever looked into his or hers discography. And I never minded him singing Ozzy' songs.

When I think of Dio, I think of Rainbow, as that is where I first heard him. Out of all the albums he made with Sabbath, Heaven and Hell is the best one I think.

When I think of Dio, I think of Rainbow, as that is where I first heard him. Out of all the albums he made with Sabbath, Heaven and Hell is the best one I think.

Yes. That's the only post-Ozzy Sabbath album that can hang with the Sainted Six.

I agree. Heaven and Hell sounds a lot more like a Sabbath album than Mob Rules does. Until last week, I never own either one, thus I haven't listened to them in a long while. I was surprised how different Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules sound. Mob Rules is good, but Heaven and Hell is definitely better.

Man what a bummer. Other than James Hetfield circa Master of Puppets, Dio had the strongest voice live* I have ever experienced .

RIP.

:(

(*Metal)

Yes. That's the only post-Ozzy Sabbath album that can hang with the Sainted Six.

What, not a fan of Technical Ecstacy or Never Say Die? :lol Me either.

Seeing Heaven & Hell (the song) live on that first tour was terrifying. Terrifyingly GREAT, that is. :rock

I think there are some good songs on Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die. It's just that they changed their sound, so they are a different trip. That can be said of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage also.

I'd say my favorites are Black Sabbath, and Vol. 4. Not that there is anything wrong with Paranoid, or Master of Reality.

The Rainbow albums he was on were Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (1975), Rainbow Rising (1976), On Stage (1977), and Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (1978).

The only Dio solo albums I ever really heard were Holy Diver (1983), The Last in Line (1984), and Sacred Heart (1985).

I am not really all that familiar with Sabbath albums after Mob Rules/Live Evil, except Born Again (1983), Seventh Star (1986), and Dehumanizer (1992). Of course, there are several of them, with various singers, and players.

It amazing sometimes to think about all of the different line-ups of Deep Purple/Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio/Ozzy. And all of people they shared among them - in terms of playing live/recording/producing/etc.

I agree. Heaven and Hell sounds a lot more like a Sabbath album than Mob Rules does. Until last week, I never own either one, thus I haven't listened to them in a long while. I was surprised how different Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules sound. Mob Rules is good, but Heaven and Hell is definitely better.

no one ever seems to talk about _Dehumanizer_. the song "I" is probably my favorite Dio-fronted song ever.

no one ever seems to talk about _Dehumanizer_. the song "I" is probably my favorite Dio-fronted song ever.

The sound is weird on that album. And of course, it all fell apart again, when Ozzy called and wanted them to play at his so-called last show. Ronnie said no thanks, and who did the show? Rob Halford, of course.

What, not a fan of Technical Ecstacy or Never Say Die? :lol Me either.

Seeing Heaven & Hell (the song) live on that first tour was terrifying. Terrifyingly GREAT, that is. :rock

been watching some videos of that song. great stuff. may need to delve into sabbath beyond the hits.

A nice post from Eddie Trunk.

One of my favorite songs from the Ian Gillan period:

Born Again

Thanks for the link to Trunk's site. Ed is one of the most knowlegeable people around when it comes to this particular genre of music, and it's clear that he thought very highly of RJD.

I think there are some good songs on Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die. It's just that they changed their sound, so they are a different trip. That can be said of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage also.

I'd say my favorites are Black Sabbath, and Vol. 4. Not that there is anything wrong with Paranoid, or Master of Reality.

Yeah, there are some good tunes on both "Ecstacy" and "Never Say Die" but for the most part I think those redords are a bit more 'spotty' than the others. Actually, I would say "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" doesn't stand up as well as the first 4 (all of which are amazing imo), but "Sabotage" is a different story - I LOVE that record. It could be said that it's a bit over-produced, but damn if Side 1 isn't one of the best sides the band ever recorded.

I was a little disappointed with "Live Evil". The production for some reason is just a little odd. Kind of like Rush's "Exit Stage Left". I saw those tours (both bands), and the way it came out bears little resemblance to the sound I remember in the arena.

Yeah, there are some good tunes on both "Ecstacy" and "Never Say Die" but for the most part I think those redords are a bit more 'spotty' than the others. Actually, I would say "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" doesn't stand up as well as the first 4 (all of which are amazing imo), but "Sabotage" is a different story - I LOVE that record. It could be said that it's a bit over-produced, but damn if Side 1 isn't one of the best sides the band ever recorded.

I was a little disappointed with "Live Evil". The production for some reason is just a little odd. Kind of like Rush's "Exit Stage Left". I saw those tours (both bands), and the way it came out bears little resemblance to the sound I remember in the arena.

I'd agree about the first side of Sabotage.

On Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, I really like A National Acrobat, Spiral Architect, and Sabbra Cadabra.

You know shit is weird when Bill Ward gets a song on the album. Guns N' Roses use to cover It's Alright.

Never Say Die! is better than Technical Ecstasy, that's for sure.

You know the story about Live Evil - which is why Ronnie left the first time.

I should ask my friend if he's digitized his VHS of us performing Symptom of the Universe at our high school talent show in '90.

Make sure and post the link.

I still have Sabbath on cassette and vinyl only, except Vol. 4 which is my fave. Are there good remastered CD's with extras that have been released or is there a plan to do that? I don't want to buy them all on CD and have these great deluxe re-issues come out right afterwards.

On another note, this album got 5 stars in MOJO, anybody heard it? Tinnitus?:

51CJhstLdpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Make sure and post the link.

I still have Sabbath on cassette and vinyl only, except Vol. 4 which is my fave. Are there good remastered CD's with extras that have been released or is there a plan to do that? I don't want to buy them all on CD and have these great deluxe re-issues come out right afterwards.

Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions

Black Sabbath

Paranoid

Master of Reality

[i have heard that the rest will be out at some point.]

Heaven and Hell

Mob Rules

Live Evil

I love all of that jazz jamming on the first album. That is one of the reasons it is my favorite. I have an original pressing of it on vinyl.