• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget to mention the live Rainbow album - On Stage.

Which is miles and miles better than the rubbish one I forked out for in Russia. Final Vinyl...tosh of the highest order.

The live compilation is almost all Joe Lynn Turner, yes? I never cared for the hit single era of Rainbow.

Yea, that's it. I never minded the hit single incarnation but I much preferred the early stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

From Billboard.com:

Heavy metal's Big Four -- Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax -- will ride together in 2010. In Europe, at least.

After weeks of rumors, the four bands have announced they'll take part in the traveling Sonisphere festival, starting June 16 at Bemowo Airport in Warsaw, Poland and continuing June 19 in Prague, Czech Republic. More Big Four Sonisphere performances are expected to be announced in the coming weeks; the festival's web site (sonisphere.com) currently lists 15 dates, including two-night stands in Sofia, Bulgaria, Bucharest, Romania, Istanbul, Turkey, and Knebworth, U.K.

There's no word on U.S. dates for the Big Four. Slayer, who co-headlined the 2009 Mayhem Tour, and Megadeth are teaming up for a 26-date American Carnage tour of North America that kicks off Jan. 18 in Seattle. Metallica toured extensively in 2009; it was No. 11 overall on the Billboard year-end Boxscore, playing to 1,120,917 fans and grossing more than $76.6 million in 66 concerts.

In a statement, announcing the Sonisphere shows, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich says that, "Who would have thought that more than 25 years after its inception, thrash metal's big 4 would not only still be around and more popular than ever, but will now play together for the first time...what a mindfuck! Bring it on!" Slayer's Kerry King adds that, "It's about fucking time this happened, and about time the fans finally get what they want. This is fucking awesome."

Megadeth leader Dave Mustaine notes that the Big Four shows are "a 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity for heavy metal 'fans' to see the four greatest heavy metal 'bands' in American history back together on one stage. If there are any heads left at the end of this Festival that haven't banged, they don't belong there."

Anthrax's Scott Ian, meanwhile, says the tour ends "26 years of expectation," adding that "I believe not only will we live up to the expectations, we will shatter them!! No other four bands as influential as the four of us have ever done this. Imagine if the Beatles, Stones, the Who and Zeppelin had done shows? Or Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Motorhead?...That's how big I feel this is."

Ticket information for the announced shows is available at the Sonisphere web site.

I don't much care for Slayer, but this would be a show to see. I take it Dave and Metallica must have straightened out there differences.

not sure if they've straightened out their differences, but they probably wouldn't mingle before or after the shows anyway... i'd bet the main reason they're doing it is they're all probably getting a pretty hefty paycheck for these shows...

i'd bet the main reason they're doing this is that they need paychecks period. not necessarily hefty ones.

I don't know about that - must of those dudes are millionaires many times over (at least Metallica and Megadeth (Dave)) are, I am sure. I think they are doing it because it is a killer line-up.

In June 1993 Megadeth returned to the stage, appearing as "special guests" at Metallica's Milton Keynes Bowl Festival, marking the first time the former bandmates played the same stage in ten years.

Again, I don't think it is about how much money they are going to make. I have read nothing like that. I don't know enough about Slayer to know their status, but I doubt they are going hungry. And Anthrax, although not as big as they use to be, are still recording and touring. Granted, it will probably be a big payday for them. I think it is about the camaraderie, and the music.

Again, I don't think it is about how much money they are going to make. I have read nothing like that. I don't know enough about Slayer to know their status, but I doubt they are going hungry. And Anthrax, although not as big as they use to be, are still recording and touring. Granted, it will probably be a big payday for them. I think it is about the camaraderie, and the music.

I dunno, why would Def Leppard sign a deal to develop a cartoon about Def Leppard? I think there are enough stories of famous people being completely broke (didn't Aretha Franklin almost declare bankruptcy) that these reunion tours just scream "we need money" to me and have nothing to do with the music. I am such a cynic though, to me if it was about the music, they would have continued to develop and create their music, tour, etc even when it wasn't the popular thing to do.

I dunno, why would Def Leppard sign a deal to develop a cartoon about Def Leppard? I think there are enough stories of famous people being completely broke (didn't Aretha Franklin almost declare bankruptcy) that these reunion tours just scream "we need money" to me and have nothing to do with the music. I am such a cynic though, to me if it was about the music, they would have continued to develop and create their music, tour, etc even when it wasn't the popular thing to do.

All of those bands have been releasing new albums and touring. Metallica has been on tour for a couple of years now. I don't know who buys Def Leppard albums these days, but their last album did very well, or so I have read. I don't get the cartoon deal. It seems sort of weird to me.

Endgame is the twelfth studio album by American heavy metal band Megadeth. Released on September 9, 2009, it is the first album featuring guitarist Chris Broderick following Glen Drover's departure in 2008.

Death Magnetic is the ninth album by American heavy metal band Metallica, released on September 12, 2008 through Warner Bros.

World Painted Blood is the eleventh studio album by American thrash metal band Slayer. It was released by American Recordings/Sony Music on November 3, 2009. The album was produced by Greg Fidelman and executive produced by Rick Rubin.

Although, Anthrax is having some trouble these days:

Worship Music is the upcoming tenth studio album by American thrash metal band Anthrax. It is their first album of original material since We've Come for You All and was to be the first to feature vocalist Dan Nelson. It was originally set to be released sometime during May 2009 but a European release on the 23rd of October 2009 was later announced.
  • 1 month later...

A few days ago I saw the video for Metallica's latest song "The Day That Never Comes". The song features some really sick, twisting chord progressions, and the vid itself is REALLY heavy. It's set in Afghanistan. I was pretty impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

the Sword

i;ve got to check these guys out.

btw-does anyone listen to Used Bin Radio or anything on Pure Rock Radio.net? it's all metal. they have podcasts too. Used Bin is good because they do prog too.

I don't see Black Sabbath as a metal band - or Motorhead, for that matter. I suppose it depends on who you ask, what book you look at, what year is, what your definition is, etc.

really? Sabbath not a metal band? To me that's like saying the Beatles weren't a British Invasion band (well, that's not such a great analogy...I suppose that today's connotations of a 'metal band' are far different from 1970's). Seriously though I think Sabbath is ground zero.

There is a site out there somewhere - probably mentioned the last time we had this thread - which broke all of this into all sorts of different categories: blues rock, power metal, speed metal, NWOBHW, death metal, hair metal, etc.

I read a very good book over my vacation that covered the history of metal:

http://www.soundofthebeast.com/news.html

some good stuff in there, loads I didn't know.

and I am off to see Kreator/Voivod/Nachtmystium this Friday. :rock

I think it has to do with the fact that when I discovered Black Sabbath, no one called them metal, they were just a "heavy band" or something to that effect.

I don't recall people using the word metal until the early-mid 1980s.

There is a book out there somewhere, where the author lays out all of the different categories of metal. That is, power metal, hair metal, thrash metal, etc.

Some people say Alice Cooper, and Led Zeppelin are also metal. I just don't see that. Again, I guess it is just how it is in my head.

To me Black Sabbath were originators, but at some point in the 1980s (post Dio), they became not all that different from any other metal band. That is, metal bands playing heavy Satanic/fantasy/disturbing dark songs.

Iron Maiden Announce New Studio Album "The Final Frontier" and North American Tour (click on the link for more info)

IRON MAIDEN are pleased to announce that their forthcoming new studio album will be called 'THE FINAL FRONTIER', and is expected be released late summer of this year.

The announcement comes with news of a North American Tour with Very Special Guests Dream Theater to open in Dallas, Texas, on 9th June and finish in Washington D.C. on 20th July, making it Maiden's most extensive North American tour in many years.

I don't know who buys Def Leppard albums these days

I mean, come on...seriously. There has never been a period in their "career" where they have been in any way interesting or even remotely metal.