I saw that aforementioned Metallica / Ozzy tour in '86 when I was quite young and man what a scary crowd.

How old is quite young? I wonder if Ozzy had anything to do with the crowd being scary. I saw Metallica in 89 when I was quite young (that translates to 13). It was my first concert and I had no fear. Then again the Cult opened for them, so probably a less rowdy crowd than an Ozzy crowd would be.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I saw The Cult open for Metallica (and this is where I lose all credibility and reveal that I left after The Cult because I was obsessed with them and only bought my ticket because of them....regrets, I've had a few).

Hey, I saw The Cult open for Metallica (and this is where I lose all credibility and reveal that I left after The Cult because I was obsessed with them and only bought my ticket because of them....regrets, I've had a few).

Me too!

I saw them at Alpine Valley. The crowd rained sod down on them continually.

and i thought you were somewhat cool until you posted this. don't you know there are somethings you just don't admit. LIE if you have to!

--

and why am i always the only girl in the metal thread?

Me too!

I saw them at Alpine Valley. The crowd rained sod down on them continually.

They got booed off the stage at Poplar Creek.

I recall the lead singer saying something like "aw, were trying to make some new friends here".

Soon after that they were done. The crowd was having none of it.

Ah, good times.

(Oh yeah. Scariest crowds? Judas Priest shows topped the list).

I think they got a lot of heckling at my show too. I just remember during the song "firewoman" the lead singer got over ambitious and jumped into the crowd (like they were going to surf him around or something. that turned into a real clusterfuck. and somehow he was still able to sing every word to the song loud and clear when he getting bobbled around in the audience.

For us it was "This is a rock n roll show, not a funeral!"

Most ill-planned double bill since Hendrix opened for the Monkees?

Sounds like a thread to me...

I saw Sweet Open for Rush

Jugglers and tumblers open for the Stones

Saw the Shocking Pinks open for Neil Young

Those were not The Cult's best days (Ian in particular).

BTW The Cult are cooler than Metallica. :D

Way cooler.

I guess it depends what you are into. I have Sonic Temple on cassette. I don't think I ever bought any of their other albums. As I recall, they were sometimes called a metal band, influenced by bands like The Doors. Which is sort of funny, as Ian eventually joined The Doors. I suppose I usually prefer Metal that is powerful and crushing, which is the sort of Metallica I prefer - Seek & Destroy and not the Enter Sandman stuff.

I guess it depends what you are into. I have Sonic Temple on cassette. I don't think I ever bought any of their other albums. As I recall, they were sometimes called a metal band, influenced by bands like The Doors. Which is sort of funny, as Ian eventually joined The Doors. I suppose I usually prefer Metal that is powerful and crushing, which is the sort of Metallica I prefer - Seek & Destroy and not the Enter Sandman stuff.

"Love" was their best, with "Electric" as runner-up. "Sonic Temple" was not bad. Back in the '80s, I thought The Cult had the potential to be the Hegelian synthesis of hippie music and punk that would rule the world. It took me a long time to get into "Electric" - I thought at the time it was a serious step backwards, but now I appreciate its straightforward-rockness.

Troof: double bill here in Indy, circa '73 : Uriah Heep & Earth, Wind & Fire. I shit you not.

--

and why am i always the only girl in the metal thread?

I don't know the answer to that, but I love you. :cheekkiss

"Love" was their best, with "Electric" as runner-up. "Sonic Temple" was not bad. Back in the '80s, I thought The Cult had the potential to be the Hegelian synthesis of hippie music and punk that would rule the world. It took me a long time to get into "Electric" - I thought at the time it was a serious step backwards, but now I appreciate its straightforward-rockness.

_Dreamtime_ is a ton better than _Sonic Temple_...if you've not heard that one, seek it out.

For us it was "This is a rock n roll show, not a funeral!"

I saw the Cult a few years back at the Norva in Norfolk, VA and they were really great and did nothing to tarnish their legacy at all. At that show Ian walked out on stage and grabbed the mike and said "This is for real motherfuckers, this is the real deal." Somehow it wasn't even cheesy when he said that. "Electric," is still one of my favorite records of the 80's. I always heard people say that it was the best ACDC record post-"Back in Black," or that it was the best ACDC record that they never made. Either way, I think it's one of the best riff rock albums ever made, and it, and they in general are certainly not Metal. It's unfortunate that they got lumped on tours with bands like Metallica, because clearly that wasn't their base. That being said however, I'm not sure who they should have been touring with post-breakthrough.

The Priest @ The Murat in Indy on 6/29! My friend Eric is on his way to pick us up tickets at the box office right now!

:rock :guitar

Yeah, I think we talked earlier in this thread about British Steel being the point where JP made a concious decision to try to get radio airplay. That said, I'm looking forward to it - the last time I saw the band was Dec. '82 (Screaming For Vengeance) with Uriah Heep opening.

The other time I saw them was May '81 (Point Of Entry). Still EASILY the loudest show I've ever been to. CRAZY loud.

British Steel was a big album for me in grade school and junior high. I may have had Krokus Headhunter on the other side of the tape (Maxell XLII-S, if I remember correcty). I was good with Priest through Screaming For Vengenace, tolerated Defenders of the Faith, and jumped off the bandwagon with Turbo.

The Priest @ The Murat in Indy on 6/29! My friend Eric is on his way to pick us up tickets at the box office right now!

:rock :guitar

Is Whitesnake on the bill at Indy? I believe Whitesnake will be playing with them up here in Chicago. Seems like an odd pairing and a different fan base (perhaps that's the point).

Sad Wings, Sin after Sin, Stained Glass, and Unleashed in the East were always my favorite. British Steel and beyond they kinda lost me. Of course I started to listened them (through MTV and radio, mostly) in the early/mid 80's, but I always liked there older stuff better.