• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got around to watching Some Kind Of Monster last night. Fascinating doc - and I thought I had issues! :lol

EDIT: I usually forget Hetfield when the "greatest rock singers" threads pop up every so often..but that dude really can really knock me over with that voice.

This is a nice site:

Encyclopaedia Metallum

I heard the The Devil You Know the other day. I don't think I will be buying it. My first thought was it sounded like Maiden and a Dio solo album mixed together. Others may like it, It just did not move me. They will never top Heaven and Hell anyhow.

A buddy of mine got it the other day and says it's great. However, he is a Sab nut and won't hear a bad word said about them. He also likes a lot of melodic rock stuff like Mr. Big and Extreme so....

It just didn't grab me. It sounds nice, but it seems to be a bit polished. I also got the 2 disc War Pigs re-release. It almost sounds like it was re-mixed, and/or it is just near the edge of falling into the loudness wars category.

and/or it is just near the edge of falling into the loudness wars category.

How do you mean? The thing about albums being mixed too loud and the whole Chili Peppers/Californication thing?

How do you mean? The thing about albums being mixed too loud and the whole Chili Peppers/Californication thing?

It's sounds different. You can hear Ozzy's vocal clear as bell in Planet Caravan now. I won't be buying this - as it is an import, and therefore costs a lot, and also, the bonus tracks are a joke. They have given us some of the songs without the vocals, Ozzy making his way through an early Paranoid and Planet Caravan (different words), and a re-mix of Rat Salad.

I think it's due to the re-release being a SACD 5.1. I've never heard one of those until now.

Paranoid (CD / Audio DVD) [iMPORT] [HYBRID SACD] [DELUXE EDITION]

They should give us this sort of thing:

Black Sabbath

John Peel's 'Sunday Show' (Radio Session)

London

England

01 [06:31] Fairies Wear Boots

02 [04:57] Behind the Wall of Sleep

03 [07:58] Walpurgis [a.k.a. War Pigs

That sounds odd. I've listened to that LP 1000x and I've never figured out (or even tried to, actually) Ozzy's lyrics on "Planet Caravan" - that's kind of the charm of the song, those vocals that sound like they're underwater or something. My guess is that they ran the vocal mic through a Leslie speaker.

That Peel show would be an awesome thing to have.

I have the Peel show. I am listening to it right now. It's a bit rough, sound wise, but the power is there. The more I think about it, the reason that new Paranoid sounds the way it does, is due to the 5.1 mix. I sort of forgot about that when I was listening to it.

You can get it here (the Peel show, that is.)

Sunday morning with Sabbath? And I thought I was a heathen... :D

Thanks for the Peel link. :thumbup

That is sort of odd - usually Lars does all the talking. I have always wondered why he tapes his picking hand. I have always thought that their strength was in duel guitar rhythm, instead of solos. This reminds me - Lars is going to be on an episode of That Metal Show this season.

VH1 is steaming the new Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath with Dio) album:

The Devil You Know

I uploaded this for some folks on another message board - so here it is if anyone wants it:

Black Sabbath - Earth Studio Sessions (Megaupload link)

Quote:

All files were never officially released!!

Silver CD > EAC > WAV > Flac Level 0 > Dime

This album is a collection of samples and studio sessions played by the pre-Black Sabbath band called "Earth".

Tracklist

1 - Unknown Demo

2 - Early One Morning

3 - The Rebel (Sample)

4 - When I Came Down (Sample)

5 - Thomas Jam (With Jim Simpson)

Length: 17 min

Line up: Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward, and Jim Simpson

This is one thread I never visit, but I am curious if anyone has seen "Anvil! The Story of Anvil" yet. I am dying to see this flick.....

LouieB

Me too. The previews look very interesting.

Wow. That Megaupload code thingy almost broke my eyes. (Thanks, though!)

Just a heads up for all the Metallica fans here: tonight on MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Show a man who never seems at a loss for words, Lars Ulrich, will appear to talk politics and rock-and-roll. Should be innaresting.