A-Man,

Thanks for reminding me of how fucking great "I Wanna Be Somebody" is. If there was any justice back then W.A.S.P. would've been a household name instead of Poison or Cinderella.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A-Man,

Thanks for reminding me of how fucking great "I Wanna Be Somebody" is. If there was any justice back then W.A.S.P. would've been a household name instead of Poison or Cinderella.

That's a great album. I think that was the last W.A.S.P. album I bought.

This sounds very promising. And how crazy that Dickinson flies the jet from show to show.

Iron Maiden's 'Flight 666' Doc Takes Off

Iron Maiden's "Flight 666" film won the Best Documentary prize at this year's South By Southwest Film Festival.

April 15, 2009 09:42 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Iron Maiden will follow the April 21 worldwide debut if its new documentary, "Flight 666," with a variety of video and soundtrack album packages in May.

The May 26 roll-out will include DVD and Blu-Ray editions of the film, which documents the headbangers' 2008 Somewhere Back In Time world tour and won the Best Documentary prize at this year's South By Southwest Film Festival. Both packages will include the full "Flight 666" as well as bonus material and additional concert footage culled from 16 shows on the tour. A limited edition DVD will also be available, albeit with the same content. Maiden will also release a two-CD companion album of live material, as well as a limited edition two-LP picture disc.

Directed by Sam Dunn and Scot McFayden of Banger Productions, "Iron Maiden: Flight 666" features both on-stage and behind-the-scenes footage of the tour, for which the group rented a Boeing 757 -- piloted by frontman Bruce Dickinson -- in order to play 24 countries in six weeks. The plane allowed Maiden to be self-contained, carrying its entire production in the cargo hold.

"We thought, 'Hang on a moment; this is such a historical event in the history of metal. No one's ever done this before. We need to document this. Why not take a [film] crew out with us?' " drummer Nicko McBrain tells Billboard.com. "So we had six cameras at each show, and they were with us backstage and on the plane and wherever we went, really -- it was kind of a love/hate thing with Banger. But I think it's a stunning piece of film...on what it's totally like on the road with Iron Maiden -- especially with Bruce up front in the 757."

"Iron Maiden: Flight 666" will be shown in theaters worldwide on April 21. Locations are listed at ironmaiden.com.

The group, which won the fan-voted Brit Award for Best British Live Act this year, just finished its tour at the end of March. McBain says the group is enjoying some time off but plans to start writing its next album in November with plans to hit the studio in January, with another world tour to follow.

"Whether or not we go with an airplane again, I don't know -- but it worked out so well," McBain notes. "We'll have to see. Let's get the music done first, eh?"

I saw Amon Amarth, Goatwhore, & Skelotonwitch last night and they were all great.

Amon Amarth was sick. It was my first time seeing them and they really get the crowd involved. Lots of chanting, horns and fist pumping. If you are a fan check them out if they come near you (although i think thye only have one more date in FL on this tour)

Ok, out of sheer boredom more than anything else I just watched about 4 hours of "the history of metal" on the tube. Now here's my question (give me some feedback dudes): I know "The Black Album" ain't "Master of Puppets" or "And Justice.." or "Kill 'em All", but why does that record get so much shit from the fans? I've always thought the record had some really great tunes. It might be a 'sellout', but DAMN...eventually the music has to change, right?

Ok, out of sheer boredom more than anything else I just watched about 4 hours of "the history of metal" on the tube. Now here's my question (give me some feedback dudes): I know "The Black Album" ain't "Master of Puppets" or "And Justice.." or "Kill 'em All", but why does that record get so much shit from the fans? I've always thought the record had some really great tunes. It might be a 'sellout', but DAMN...eventually the music has to change, right?

I think it has to do with the fact that they did things they said they would never do. I have never really heard the album, as I had quit listening to metal a couple years before that album came out. What I have always thought was really odd, was the fact that they had some sort of fashion makeover during the Load era.

Because it's self titled and that's just pretentious (a little joke). I'm not sure, like you said there are some good songs on it. Maybe the tempos were just a bit too slow for most fans?

I think it has to do with the fact that they did things they said they would never do. I have never really heard the album, as I had quit listening to metal a couple years before that album came out. What I have always thought was really odd, was the fact that they had some sort of fashion makeover during the Load era.

Yeah, I quit listening to metal about 10 years before that record came out. But that record was so ubiquitous on the radio I couldn't escape it - and I thought "damn, there are some really crunchy grooves here!". Geezer was saying on that show last night that he thought Metallica was the best band to come out of the '80s, and was seemingly passing the torch to them with his praise.

Because it's self titled and that's just pretentious (a little joke). I'm not sure, like you said there are some good songs on it. Maybe the tempos were just a bit too slow for most fans?

I think it was because it was the first album they put out that was 100% commercial. Prior to the black album the only music video Metallica put out there was "one" and it had the whole "Johnny Got His Gun" connection that it didn't come across as selling out, but made sense that it would have a video. Once the black album came out, forget about it, there were singles and videos (very elaborate videos at that) and it essentially put Metallica mainstream, and the band had been very anti-mainstream up to that point. Also, this was when Mtv actually played music videos and the videos were a big deal and contributor for going mainstream; they were the equivalent of getting radio play. I think that's why fans have given it so much shit.

and really, has Metallica put anything out there that tops Master of Puppets? I think not. :)

I think it was because it was the first album they put out that was 100% commercial. Prior to the black album the only music video Metallica put out there was "one" and it had the whole "Johnny Got His Gun" connection that it didn't come across as selling out, but made sense that it would have a video. Once the black album came out, forget about it, there were singles and videos (very elaborate videos at that) and it essentially put Metallica mainstream, and the band had been very anti-mainstream up to that point. Also, this was when Mtv actually played music videos and the videos were a big deal and contributor for going mainstream; they were the equivalent of getting radio play. I think that's why fans have given it so much shit.

and really, has Metallica put anything out there that tops Master of Puppets? I think not. :)

Good points. And no, Metallica have not topped Master of Puppets.

I just hated Enter Sandman most of all. It was dumbed-down Metallica. I especially hated the press that praised the song - describing it as "scary" or how the song made it unsafe to go to bed, and how it inspired nightmares... Lame... If I'm going to listen to stupid lyrics about non-scary things, at least give me the music that goes along with Creeping Death.

I just hated Enter Sandman most of all. It was dumbed-down Metallica. I especially hated the press that praised the song - describing it as "scary" or how the song made it unsafe to go to bed, and how it inspired nightmares... Lame... If I'm going to listen to stupid lyrics about non-scary things, at least give me the music that goes along with Creeping Death.

I remember seeing them play Creeping death somewhere, I think they were the opening band for Ozzy or something, and I was not really a fan. The whole crowd was chanting "Die...Die" and I thought, well geez, that's kind of negative. Then I heard the song and realized it was the whole biblical story. How's that for a pointless story.

I never got that it was dumbed down Metallica. I always viewed Sandman as a great song where Metallica got out of the seven - ten minute structures of their songs. It made them a boat load of money to be sure. Was it a calculated move? definately, they had to have made a conscious decision to cut the length of their songs and make them more radio friendly. That is not a crime, it's just adding variety into what they are doing and after a 20 year departure they got back to the old formula with this years release. Had they continued on the path of Lightning - Puppets - Justice people would have complained that they were stale unoriginal and should hang it up. I could really annoy people and say that they recorded the same album three times with some variations prior to the black album. But I do recognize the differences, there is just a lot of sameness to those albums also.

I never got that it was dumbed down Metallica. I always viewed Sandman as a great song where Metallica got out of the seven - ten minute structures of their songs. It made them a boat load of money to be sure. Was it a calculated move? definately, they had to have made a conscious decision to cut the length of their songs and make them more radio friendly. That is not a crime, it's just adding variety into what they are doing and after a 20 year departure they got back to the old formula with this years release. Had they continued on the path of Lightning - Puppets - Justice people would have complained that they were stale unoriginal and should hang it up. I could really annoy people and say that they recorded the same album three times with some variations prior to the black album. But I do recognize the differences, there is just a lot of sameness to those albums also.

I agree. I think they definitely grew artistically when they made the black album and continued from there. But because of the whole commercialization aspect a lot of people discredit that album. I'm not really sure why or how wanting to get your stuff out there is a bad thing, but clearly people react very badly to it no matter which artist does it or when it is done. It is a shame too because they did indeed break the mold and in some way redefined what that genre of metal could be. I could never get into Slayer or Iron Maiden or Megadeath because after a while it was like listening to the same thing over and over again. The black album definitely shifted that. Hell they made "metal ballads" if you think about it. That ain't easy.

I agree. I think they definitely grew artistically when they made the black album and continued from there. But because of the whole commercialization aspect a lot of people discredit that album. I'm not really sure why or how wanting to get your stuff out there is a bad thing, but clearly people react very badly to it no matter which artist does it or when it is done. It is a shame too because they did indeed break the mold and in some way redefined what that genre of metal could be. I could never get into Slayer or Iron Maiden or Megadeath because after a while it was like listening to the same thing over and over again. The black album definitely shifted that. Hell they made "metal ballads" if you think about it. That ain't easy.

People have their favorite bands and want everyone to hear them, we share our secrets and once the secret is out and the band hits critical mass, we accuse the band of selling out or betraying us their true fans etc

I saw that aforementioned Metallica / Ozzy tour in '86 when I was quite young and man what a scary crowd. I believe that had Hetfield told the crowd to kill all the virgins, that they would've complied. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a headliner so severely outclassed as Ozzy was that day. He was so bloated looking and sounding, just really not very good.

I believe that had Hetfield told the crowd to kill all the virgins, that they would've complied.

The upside: everyone would have been too concerned with getting killed to focus on killing anyone else.

I know someone who saw them on that tour. He was the dude who did the metal show at the college radio station here where I live. He said there was some "hippie looking guy" walking around talking to people before the show. When the show started, he noticed the "hippie looking guy" was playing bass in the opening band. Some of the footage in Cliff 'Em All is from that tour.

The whole thing is on Youtube.

Hella Cool!