Motorhead is motherfucking God. I like Sabbath a little bit better, but Motorhead may well be the greatest metal band of all human history.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really got into them. I have heard various Motorhead albums over the years, but I don't think I have ever actually ever owned a Motorhead album. To me, they are more of a hard rock band, than a metal band. At least, they were in the beginning.

So what about Hawkwind? I've never heard of that. The name sounds like they could be an opener for Wilco.

Hawkwind

In 1971, Lemmy joined the space rock band, Hawkwind, who were based in Ladbroke Grove, London. He had little experience as a bass guitarist, but quickly developed a distinctive style that was strongly shaped by his early experience as a rhythm guitarist, often using double stops and chords rather than the single notes preferred by most bassists. His bass work was a fundamental part of the Hawkwind sound during his tenure, perhaps best documented on Space Ritual. He also provided lead vocals on a number of songs, including the band's biggest UK chart single, "Silver Machine", which reached No.3 in 1972.

It's interesting that Lemmy was kicked out of Hawkwind not because he was doing too many drugs, but because he was doing the wrong kind from everyone else in the band.

I do love the Motorhead album "1916".

85_metal_heart.jpg

(As a 13-year-old metalhead, I used to love that record. Now I know better. Although I do still like the Scorps.)

At the moment, Electric Wizard is my favorite metal band.

they are not too original, but take Sabbath's vision to its logical end. devastating.

I like some Electric Wizard too!

The new baroness album "blue record" is so good. not sure i woudl call it a metal album but they get called a metal band so i'll mention it.

i just listened to _The Blue Record_ today for the 1st time. yeah, good guitar-fueled rock...if you like Lizzy or Priest, dig in.

As good as the Red album? That's probably the first new metal album I have really enjoyed in a long time.

As good as the Red album? That's probably the first new metal album I have really enjoyed in a long time.

i can't claim to being super familiar w/ either record, but their brand of guitar-prominent rock hasn't changed too much. i'd say it's a safe bet to get the new one.

and i would love to see Electric Wizard play the US...'Dopethrone' is such a towering song.

Yes I think as an overall album the blue record is better.

that said I don't think any of the songs on the album hold a candle to the opening salvo that is the first three songs on the Red Album.

Blue Record is very good in it's own right.

As a fan who has liked them from the days of first and second i miss the harsher vocals, but the music they are making now is soooo good it is hard to argue with.

Oh and tinnitius enjoy the show. I'll be seeing that one next week in Atlanta. Can't miss a chance to see high on fire and mastodon... plus converge is a wild live show even though i'm not a huge fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RONNIE JAMES DIO Diagnosed With Stomach Cancer

Wendy Dio, the wife and manager of legendary heavy metal vocalist Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans.

"Long live rock and roll, long live Ronnie James Dio.

"Thanks to all the friends and fans from all over the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up."

Ronnie James Dio, 67, has performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects include the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He is currently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also includes former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

DIO cancelled its European tour last week after Ronnie was taken ill. The band's lineup for the trek was supposed to include WHITESNAKE/ex-DIO axeman Doug Aldrich due to the fact that the group's regular guitarist, Craig Goldy, had prior touring commitments with BUDGIE in Australia.

DIO's last release was the "Holy Diver Live" CD, featuring a performance of the classic "Holy Diver" album in its entirety, from start to finish, recorded live for the very first time in 2005 in front of a sold-out London crowd.

I'd say my favorite work of his was the first two Sabbath albums he was on (Heaven and Hell and The Mob Rules), and the first two Rainbow albums (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Rising). I recall that Holy Diver was a quite a popular album when I was in the 11th grade. It is alright I guess.

The RJD albums with Rainbow are stone classics in my opinion and get heavy airplay to this day in my house. Whereupon, my wife will wander in and ask me am I reliving my youth.:unsure