I mean, come on...seriously. There has never been a period in their "career" where they have been in any way interesting or even remotely metal.

Bon Jovi also. They do big numbers on their albums. You can't say that about too many bands from the 80s. I am not into either band, but I can see the appeal for those who are into them.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw package tours with Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus and Helloween circa '89 and '90. Two seperate tours, one the Headbangers Ball tour and the other was called Clash of the Titans tour, I just can't remember which combo played with eachother after all of these years. Also Alice in Chains opened one of them on their first national tour and were not very well received at all, I thought they were pretty good, but damn I really loved Exodus and especially their "Fabulous Disaster" album, thinking man's metal for sure. Both of these shows and dozens more were at the Louisville Gardens in downtown Louisville, good times.

Anthrax had a few songs with social commentary lyrics as well. Helloween I never did like.

• 2 weeks later...

a smattering of shots from the Scion Fest which happened last Saturday in Columbus Ohio...

full gallery and review:

http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/scion-rock-fest-columbus-oh-picsreview/

Deadsea (psych/metal/rumble)

p612784255-4.jpg

D.R.I. (old school hardcore/thrash)

p771834028-4.jpg

Thou (deranged Louisianiers)

p1041589522-4.jpg

YOB (doom of the highest order)

p844576022-4.jpg

Shrinebuilder (metal über-group)

p982949234-4.jpg

Ozzy - I Don't Know (After Hours TV Show)

(Rudy Sarzo on bass, and Tommy Aldridge on drums)

(Bob Daisley on bass, and Lee Kerslake on drums)(I've always loved that guitar deal at the end.)

(Bob Daisley on bass, and Lee Kerslake on drums)

Those first 2 solo Ozzy albums are still some of my favorite albums of all time. Sucks that Ozzy re-recorded the rhythm tracks because that line up of Rhoads, Sarzo, and Aldridge was killer. Randy Rhoads is one of my favorite guitarists ever and all 3 of these songs are a big reason why. The volume swells during the verses of Tonight are brilliant. He had that neo-classical style but somehow he still had so much feel in his solos. Never sounded as cold and technical as a lot of players with that style. I still pull these CD's out all the time and they hold up. As good as anything else ever released in the metal category.

I still have the fist album on cassette, and original pressings of the first two albums on vinyl.

Yes - luckily - you can still find the old cds out there.

(March 19, 1982 was the day he was killed.)

Those first 2 solo Ozzy albums are still some of my favorite albums of all time. Sucks that Ozzy re-recorded the rhythm tracks because that line up of Rhoads, Sarzo, and Aldridge was killer. Randy Rhoads is one of my favorite guitarists ever and all 3 of these songs are a big reason why. The volume swells during the verses of Tonight are brilliant. He had that neo-classical style but somehow he still had so much feel in his solos. Never sounded as cold and technical as a lot of players with that style. I still pull these CD's out all the time and they hold up. As good as anything else ever released in the metal category.

This. :thumbup

I feel lucky enough to have seen Randy with Ozzy on two occasions (8/81 and 2/82) right here and I wholeheartedly agree that he had a very unique style that set him apart from nearly everyone else in the genre.

This. :thumbup

I feel lucky enough to have seen Randy with Ozzy on two occasions (8/81 and 2/82) right here and I wholeheartedly agree that he had a very unique style that set him apart from nearly everyone else in the genre.

So you saw them not long before Randy's death.

What's interesting to me that those first two albums sound nothing like Sabbath, and also - he never made anything better. Ozzy's albums from then on may have sold millions, but to me they were just slicked up video-ready metal.

I suppose there are some good songs here and there, but to me, he just became a cartoon version of himself.

Ozzy recently dumped Zakk Wylde for a new guitar player. I can't believe he is still making albums.

• 1 month later...

Black Sabbath.com

May 16, 2010

Ronnie James Dio has Died.

This was confirmed to me within the last half an hour by both Wendy Dio and Geezer Butler. He died this morning - May 16, 2010.

More details shortly.

Dio.com

Message from Wendy Dio

Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.

- Wendy Dio

Temple of The King

Catch The Rainbow

Oh NO. Mike, thanks for the heads up. A FB friend posted on this and I was hoping it was a hoax, but I know you've got the right info. This is just terrible news.

I was listening to Alice's show very recently, and he said he had spoken with Ronnie and he was in great spirits and in better shape. I think there were dates scheduled for later in the year (Heaven & Hell).

I saw Ronnie many times, the best being the Black & Blue Tour of 1980. Best damn hard rock show I ever saw. Ronnie was truly one of the best vocalists in Rock history, and I just loved the guy. This just cuts deep. :ohwell

I just saw it somewhere - and went straight to Black Sabbath.com. I knew Joe would have the truth posted - either way.

I recall reading somewhere that the upcoming tour was canceled, so I figured something was not right. Whether you like the music or not, (it's not for everyone) the dude was a hell of a singer.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

The Dio report was going back and forth as rumor/hoax/fact all morning. I was hoping it was remain a hoax.

I just bought the Deluxe issues of Sabbath's Heaven and Hell and The Mob Rules last week and have been listening to them the last couple of days.