I spent quite a bit of time reading those tributes to Ronnie last night. Some really heartfelt stuff there. Y'all need to check those out if you haven't already.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should ask my friend if he's digitized his VHS of us performing Symptom of the Universe at our high school talent show in '90.

:wub

From Dio's webpage:

There will be a Public Memorial Service for Ronnie James Dio on Sunday, May 30th at 2:00 PM at The Hall Of Liberty located at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90068.

This will be a celebration of the life and music of Ronnie James Dio and is open to all of his friends and fans from around the world.

For those of you that will be flying in from out of town or out of the country, we have made special rates at various local hotels available to you! Just go to our official Facebook Page for hotel information!

It's great that they thought of special rates for hotels, I never heard of a rock star (or their family) think about hotel rates.

From Dio's webpage:

It's great that they thought of special rates for hotels, I never heard of a rock star (or their family) think about hotel rates.

I can't believe it's open to the public.

They are going to be overran by hessian dudes and Anton LaVey freaks.

wow, i had no idea that 'bloody red meat' was such a transgression in the eyes of a supposed deity...

asswipes.

There was a time when Ozzy use to throw chucks of meat into the audience.

Also, he learned that sign from his Grandmother. It does not really have anything to do with Satan, per se.

I believe they need to hire better researchers.

Even though it's been on the DVR for months I finally sat down and watched The Story Of Anvil late last night. Very innaresting film.

That drummer (Robb Reiner) is a sick sick mother on the drums. I never heard these guys play in their heyday but it really is odd that they never had a major hit record. I thought they sounded pretty damn good.

---------- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ----------

GRAMMY Awards disrespect Heavy Metal: God Forbid & Anand Clique members

"Despite fan attention, the GRAMMY Awards have refused to properly acknowledge Heavy Metal: God Forbid & Anand Clique members unite to remedy."

CHICAGO, IL - / May 23, 2010 / God Forbid guitarist Dallas Coyle and Anand Clique frontman Anand

Bhatt team up to collaborate on a new song for garnering joint support

from fans and colleagues. The result will help validate Heavy Metal as

a musical genre.

There is not a best heavy metal album category in the Grammy Awards.

There is, however obscure, a best Hawaiian Album category. Currently,

out of the 109 Grammy Award Categories only one applies to heavy

metal, and that only of "Best Heavy Metal Performance" (of which past

winners of this award have been Classic Rock bands and not Heavy

Metal).

Millions of Heavy Metal fans actively purchase music and support

bands, as demonstrated by the warm public reaction to the recent death of Ronnie James Dio, however it appears that the genre is still discounted by awards

committees.

GOD FORBID's latest album made the Billboard 200 charts.

This past awards season ANAND CLIQUE was on the first round Grammy

ballot for “Best Metal Performance.” Both Dallas Coyle and Anand

Bhatt have new solo projects emerging this year as well.

Here is an article from Spin.

Most of info was in the three articles that you linked, but I didn't see the below:

Alt-country rocker Ryan Adams, spotted among the attendees, sat down with Spin for a moment and effectively summed up the feeling out in the crowd.

"Losing a musical icon like Dio, you feel a little bit more alone on Earth," said Adams. "He was just out there kicking so much ass."

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Cover art, press release, track list, and one song

(After a listen or two, I don't really care for the song.)

Metallica Heading To Cinemas

Heavy metal's 'big four' will be heading to international cinema screens when the bands - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax - all perform on the same bill for the first time.

saw iron maiden the other night in dallas. so, so good... bruce dickinson still sounds great, and the band was on fire and having a great time. the setlist drew mainly from the 2000's... definitely not a greatest hits show. had pit tickets and that was one of the tamest pits i've ever been in! i think most of us were getting up there in age ;–) the stage show was similar to what you see on flight 666, but more of a outer space theme. the backdrops changed with every song, and the new eddie was pretty cool - like what you see on the cover of the new cd.

The Wicker Man

Ghost Of The Navigator

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

El Dorado

Paschendale

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

These Colours Don't Run

Blood Brothers

Wildest Dreams

No More Lies

Brave New World

Fear Of The Dark

Iron Maiden

encore:

Number Of The Beast

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Running Free

• 2 weeks later...

If there's any Isis fans here, you probably know they pulled the plug on the after a dozen+ years, which made their just previously announced tour a hasty farewell event. here's my review + photos of the first of two shows, with the Melvins:

The merch table had everything but spit guards

p824132984-4.jpg

Buzzo has captured a soul in his guitar.

p695489244-4.jpg

Hmm...is that the right chord?

p986799305-4.jpg

p258539993-4.jpg

I also did an interview w/ Buzzo and Dale before they sound-checked...gotta transcribe that next.

• 1 month later...

I was just randomly surfing and stumbled on this. I don't know why but it struck me as funny. It's a band called Phoenix Rising from Arizona. From what I can tell it's not a joke.

12267.jpg

left to right: Roxii Camaro

Izzy White

Nikki Steel

T.Z. Sÿnn

Johnny Wylde (replaced by Miki)

Phoenix rising site

got a free ticket to the rock-n-america 3-day 80s rock festival in okc over the weekend. could only go on saturday, but saw michael schenker group (carmine appice is his drummer), l.a. guns (the tracii guns version), cinderella, and scorpions. all of them sounded awesome. hard to believe they've all been at it so long... michael schenker and herman rarebell came out and joined scorpions on a few songs, too.

bands that were there on the other days i couldn't go: twisted sister, great white, lita ford, ratt, dokken, lynch mob, firehouse, steelheart, bulletboys, faster pussycat...

Aww. Twisted Sister was the first rock concert I ever went to! \m/