• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to Google that first dude. RATT, well...all that 80's American hair metal shite meant nothing to me. Still doesn't. Garbage the lot of it. You can lump Kiss and that sort of shite right in there too.

I had to Google that first dude. RATT, well...all that 80's American hair metal shite meant nothing to me. Still doesn't. Garbage the lot of it. You can lump Kiss and that sort of shite right in there too.

Just to be clear, KISS in the 70's was an altogether different band than KISS in the 80's. Their 80's output is a total joke. There are even interviews where Gene acknowledges this. But their first 6 studio albums are good rock n' roll records with loads of memorable songs. The 70's KISS is no way in the same category as Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, etc.

Add me to the list on VOL IV for Sabbath. "Snowblind," is my all time favorite, as Ozzy does some real singing on that one. I have always liked "Changes" and appreciated that they had the stones to put it out at all.

Just to be clear, KISS in the 70's was an altogether different band than KISS in the 80's.

I have heard this argument a million times and it still doesn't wash for me. It's all tripe to me. Sorry.

Thanks for that link AMan. I can't think of anything from the 1988 hair metal world that sounds anything like "Parasite." It's got a heavy groove and great rhythm to it. I've spent a lifetime defending KISS, especially in school in the 80's when they started to go south, I guess doing so on a music-related message board is no big surprise.

KISS was my first real concert I attended so I will always have a soft spot for them. They have quite a few songs that hold up, "Parasite" is a great song.

Westerberg has admitted to being a fan, the Mats cover of Black Diamond was not "Ironic".

KISS was my first real concert I attended so I will always have a soft spot for them.

Me too. August 1976 - Destroyer Tour. Bob Seger & The SBB opened (the tour that Live Bullet came from).

Me too. August 1976 - Destroyer Tour. Bob Seger & The SBB opened (the tour that Live Bullet came from).

:worship

The Destroyer tour, that's way cooler than the Dynasty tour I saw! Destroyer actually holds up in my mind.

You just don't see double bills like that anymore. Bob Seger and Kiss!

Now that's an interesting bill. What was your's and the rest of the Kiss fans opinion of Seger? I lost my copy of Live Bullet, but I used to listen to the album quite a bit when I was a kid, thanks to my sister. (who was/is a huge Seger fan)

Now that's an interesting bill. What was your and the rest of the Kiss fans opinion of Seger?

Well, mind you that I was 14 years old at the time, but Seger felt like a Rock & Soul Review or something. Really got the crowd worked up for sure. That really was a high point in his career if you ask me. He kinda got into the "sensitive guy" (singer/songwriter) trip after that, and let's be honest, he ain't no Jackson Browne!

For some reason I see Kiss fans throwing fake blood at Seger or worse spitting alcohol fueled fire at him.

edit. this isn't to demean Kiss fans. It just seems like a strange double bill.

For some reason I see Kiss fans throwing fake blood at Seger or worse spitting alcohol fueled fire at him.

:lol Actually, everyone seemed really into smoking a lot of pot - they didn't get pissed at all.

Of course, at that time nearly every show was like a Dead/Phish show or something similar. LOTS of dope smoking.

Since this has turned into a KISS thread has anyone else ever felt that Ace Frehley's KISS output is superior to Gene's? For sure Gene has more song credits, but so many of his songs are album weak spots for me. Ace was probably even the strongest writer in the band from the solo albums through "The Elder." I think I've said it in some other KISS related thread somewhere, but I prefer Frehley's Comet output '86-'89 over KISS for that same period. I even saw FC in Louisville during that period and they were nowhere near as cheesy as many other bands of that era.

I think in that KISS book I mentioned around here somewhere, Ace talks about Gene submitting hundreds of songs and thinking they were all good, but his approach was to offer a few that he thought were good.

But at the end of the day, KISS is really about Gene and Paul and their songs.

As Gene has said over the years, he envisioned KISS as a hard rock version of The Beatles. So going by that, Ace and Peter got their one or two songs on the albums. As far as I know, Beth is still the biggest selling single they ever had. I like a lot of the songs Peter sang lead on - but not his solo stuff.

I always liked "Dressed to kill". It's still a great album. "She" is just a great song. "Destroyer" is also really good.

I agree, Stanley and Simmons were the driving force of the band. "Beth" is a bit of a fluke.

I been reading a thing in the paper this morning about a band called Shinedown. The writer seemed to be falling over themselves about the music. Anyone here ever heard them?

That sounds like the name of a Soundgarden song.

I think it's actually the name of a Godsmack song. Anyway, I checked them out. Kind of pop/metal sort of thing. Inoffensive and a little entertaining actually.