Wilco, 5/15/08, The Pageant, St. Louis

This isn't really true, seeing as the song was played several times before his mother's death. Your point is still valid, though and it doesn't make it any less disrespectful.

Hm. That's not what I read in one of the interviews when SBS was released. But yeah, looks like it was played a few times before that. Oh well. I am 100% certain it's the first time it's been played in St. Louis since his mother's death.

They've played New Madrid at the last 4 St. Louis shows. When Tweedy said they were going to play an UT song, I was hoping for anything but New Madrid. I guess we're spoiled?

I can't remember not seeing them play "New Madrid" in St. Louis or Columbia. Totally spoiled. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules
Hm. That's not what I read in one of the interviews when SBS was released. But yeah, looks like it was played a few times before that. Oh well. I am 100% certain it's the first time it's been played in St. Louis since his mother's death.

:thumbup I'm just giving you shit. Regardless of it being played beforehand, Jeff has said it was a song for his Dad.

My girlfirend and I went on Wednesday night - my fourth Wilco show and her first. Wow!! I knew this lineup was really special from seeing them on TV, hearing them on other formats live records, etc. But now after seeing them firsthand as a six piece, I'm in awe. Very tight. Outside of Summerteeth (Shot in the Arm) and the Mermaid records (CA Stars), each Wilco record was well represented. Figured with JT's dad in the house that we might hear hear more eariler stuff i.e., more rockin' songs from AM, Being There, and even a rare UT (New Madrid). He mentioned something like... 50 or 75 people in attendence with his dad. The bar up front opened around 5 PM, before the house opened at 6 PM, which allowed us to get in and get first pick of seats. We didn't experience the crowd issues that others have mentioned. From where we were sitting, people appeared to be respectful, even for the opening act. I'd never been to the Pageant before, and from what I could tell, there wasn't a bad seat in the house.

It was a great rock 'n roll show!!

I'd never been to the Pageant before, and from what I could tell, there wasn't a bad seat in the house.

When the Pageant first opened (10 yrs. ago?), the sound on both sides of the U-shaped venue (main level and balcony) sucked. I saw Dylan there and stood up in the balcony (right or left side) and couldn't understand any lyrics [Dylan joke] and the sound was very muddy. Since then, I will only watch from straight on, but I did hear that they improved the acoustics somehow a few years ago. I just won't take the chance.

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to the Saturday night show 5/17/08 in St. Louis. This is my first time going GA for Wilco at a venue like this, so I was wondering when I should get to the venue. Did you guys have to camp out all day, or will I be fine if I show up a little before the doors open? I don't mind waiting at all if it means I can get a shot at a good spot in the first few rows.

P.S.

I read the above posts, and I thought it would be important to note that I'm a minor, so maybe I won't be able to get in when the bar opens (?)

Thanks a lot!

This is my first time going GA for Wilco at a venue like this, so I was wondering when I should get to the venue. Did you guys have to camp out all day, or will I be fine if I show up a little before the doors open? I don't mind waiting at all if it means I can get a shot at a good spot in the first few rows.

Good questions...I heard someone say that the bar had a capacity of 150 and also we went on Thurs, rather than Satur. Not sure how a weekday might compare to a weekend...You might hang around on Delmar Blvd area and "watch the line." If you do go the bar, be sure to grab a menu for take out or bring some food w/ you. They do allow food to be brought in. We had a pizza delivered. Good luck and have fun!

This isn't really true, seeing as the song was played several times before his mother's death. Your point is still valid, though and it doesn't make it any less disrespectful.

yeah, for some reason i thought that song was about jeff's grandparents. or maybe i made that up? but it obviously isn't about his mom. either way, it's super annoying when people talk through any song, especially the quiet ones!

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to the Saturday night show 5/17/08 in St. Louis. This is my first time going GA for Wilco at a venue like this, so I was wondering when I should get to the venue. Did you guys have to camp out all day, or will I be fine if I show up a little before the doors open? I don't mind waiting at all if it means I can get a shot at a good spot in the first few rows.

P.S.

I read the above posts, and I thought it would be important to note that I'm a minor, so maybe I won't be able to get in when the bar opens (?)

Thanks a lot!

My girlfriend and I showed up at 7:45 last night and were four people back. And we didn't push our way through people like some do. Which brings me to another point, why do people feel they have to push past other people? You were there first, you probably got there early, why can't they? One guy pushed in front of me saying he was with his girlfriend. When he stopped I asked him which one was his, told me it was all a lie to get up front. Classy drunk guy. Hope you get a good spot, we are in the balcony tonight. I can only hope tonight will be as great as last night.

:thumbup I'm just giving you shit. Regardless of it being played beforehand, Jeff has said it was a song for his Dad.

For some reason my bullshit radar is always broken when you're concerned. :cheekkiss

In other obnoxious concert-goer news, I have apparently angered the dog-whistler from Friday night by things I said on my blog and Flickr. I'm doing good! :thumbup

For some reason my bullshit radar is always broken when you're concerned. :cheekkiss

In other obnoxious concert-goer news, I have apparently angered the dog-whistler from Friday night by things I said on my blog and Flickr. I'm doing good! :thumbup

Wait, you have heard from the dog-whistler?

Yep, she commented on my blog. At least I think. It's someone named Tam who reamed me for saying mean things about her on Flickr and in my blog. At first I thought it was our Tam and I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening.

I haven't posted the comments on my blog yet (the spam filter caught them), but I'll put them up now. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but I can't figure out who else it would be, as that's the only person I said anything negative about.

I just re-read my blog entry, since Kim couldn't find reference to the dog-whistler. I didn't mention her on the blog at all, but that's where she chose to make her opinions known. They're here (comments #9 and 10), and the offending photo is here.

By all means, feel free to express your thoughts to her in the blog comments. :thumbup

I just re-read my blog entry, since Kim couldn't find reference to the dog-whistler. I didn't mention her on the blog at all, but that's where she chose to make her opinions known. They're here (comments #9 and 10), and the offending photo is here.

By all means, feel free to express your thoughts to her in the blog comments. :thumbup

i meant to say "live with it" in your comments section.

I'll fix it for ya. You were much more diplomatic than I was going to be, which is saying something since you were right by her.

I'm keeping track, Allison. For every cool thing you do, I'm buying you a shot of bourbon at some point. :thumbup

I'll fix it for ya. You were much more diplomatic than I was going to be, which is saying something since you were right by her.

I'm keeping track, Allison. For every cool thing you do, I'm buying you a shot of bourbon at some point. :thumbup

i will only be up to a point. she gets all wonky after that, i ain't gonna be so nice. and i have no clue as to why i put up with all that was going around us down there i'm rarely like that!

she should consider herself lucky, i was right next to the tapers when i made an ass of myself.

i will only be up to a point. she gets all wonky after that, i ain't gonna be so nice. and i have no clue as to why i put up with all that was going around us down there i'm rarely like that!

"asshole magnet" :cheekkiss