Wilco, 5/15/08, The Pageant, St. Louis

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This back and forth sneering argument has gone far enough. I think the point being made.....that it's a good idea to consider the feelings of other concert-goers, in one's own behavior at a concert....is something we can all easily agree on. This isn't rocket surgery, folks. :rolleyes It's the old Golden Rule. Consider how you would feel, and behave accordingly.

There's room for all types in the world, but regardless, and always, mean people suck. Don't be one. And let's drop this ridiculous and childish argument here and now. Otherwise, the thread will be closed, etc. Isn't there enough nastiness in the world without us sniping at one another on a board created to be enjoyed?

Let it go.

is there something wrong with drinking whiskey at a Wilco show??

Ive been doing it all wrong then.

Loud singers are just idiots that dont know proper etiquette.

nothing wrong with having a good time as long as it doesn't infringe on the good times being had by others. (including the musicians, might i add!)

Those same people have or will at some point do all of those same things.

this is a good point a-man.

its very true & the best thing to do is suck it up, know that their actions might have fucked someone's concert experience, own up to it & simply deal with it. there's no reason to continue to be an ass about it or leave the board b/c others voiced how it affected them.

this is a good point a-man.

its very true & the best thing to do is suck it up, know that their actions might have fucked someone's concert experience, own up to it & simply deal with it. there's no reason to continue to be an ass about it or leave the board b/c others voiced how it affected them.

Well, I was thinking of you punching me in the throat at that show we were at together.

Dear Fathead,

I guess you won't be seeing this since you are't looking at this site anymore. But just in case, I am from Tulsa and have been to 2 Wilco concerts at Cains Ballroom and one Jeff Tweedy solo tour. I have also been to several Wilco concerts in KC, Wichita, Springfield Mo. as well as 2 in St. Louis.

I hate to tell you, anywhere there is alcohol served, there are going to be people who do stupid things. There is nothing more offensive to a sober person than a drunk. I personally go to a Wilco show to enjoy the music not kill brain cells or hear dog whistlers. Please don't come to Tulsa and bring your loving entourage with you. Us uncouth hicks enjoy concerts here for the music not the "firewater".

Point taken. Now I can only see Wilco in KC and ? Anyone else drunk haters? Hey, shit, some folk have few chances to have fun, to let loose. I keep thinking back to the good old days when people got rowdy at shows. To me the good old days are the 90's. I really have not been to many shows in the last 8 years or so. When I first began to attend Wilco shows in 06 I loved the crowd contagion. It seems lately things are becoming possessive. Like in Lawrence, some douchebag buffoon claimed he owned a spot on the lawn because he was there since 6.30. Come on. You can't expect to own a 3' diameter spot throughout a show, whether there are drunks around or not. So my bud got excited during I'm a Wheel, a pretty fast fuckin roustabout song...makes you wanna jump and the guy got testicular cuz his arm was brushed and lost some of his spray on tan. And StL, I am trying to forget. The whole 'scene' started cuz an earplugger did the same thing to two different people. This was even more bizarre because we were right up front. At least the bunghole scene in Lawrence was like 20 rows back.

I agree, a drunk is annoying to the sober...maybe have a drink or two or ignore us and watch Pat?

Point taken. Now I can only see Wilco in KC and ? Anyone else drunk haters? Hey, shit, some folk have few chances to have fun, to let loose. I keep thinking back to the good old days when people got rowdy at shows. To me the good old days are the 90's. I really have not been to many shows in the last 8 years or so. When I first began to attend Wilco shows in 06 I loved the crowd contagion. It seems lately things are becoming possessive. Like in Lawrence, some douchebag buffoon claimed he owned a spot on the lawn because he was there since 6.30. Come on. You can't expect to own a 3' diameter spot throughout a show, whether there are drunks around or not. So my bud got excited during I'm a Wheel, a pretty fast fuckin roustabout song...makes you wanna jump and the guy got testicular cuz his arm was brushed and lost some of his spray on tan. And StL, I am trying to forget. The whole 'scene' started cuz an earplugger did the same thing to two different people. This was even more bizarre because we were right up front. At least the bunghole scene in Lawrence was like 20 rows back.

I agree, a drunk is annoying to the sober...maybe have a drink or two or ignore us and watch Pat?

i don't know. i'm pretty rowdy at shows and still don't get my drink on. :hmm

edit: i can't believe i'm still posting on this thread. i'm think i'm done.

There isn't a more fun venue then the farm! We always have that. And, someday there will be touring Wilco cover band we can follow.I can't wait for that!I actually like the U2 cover band in KC better than U2 now.After that lame St. Louis show where U2 tickets were 100$ I'm over them.Just hope Wilco never gets that big..big where the venues make the band look like tiny ants.Wilco chooses small venues so they can smell fans.

I happened to be standing a few people away from "Fathead" and the so called "dog whistler" and I found them to very very pleasant and charming people. I mean, they were up front at a "Rock N' Roll" show, sometimes things get rowdy up front. People shouldn't be afraid to cut loose now and again. I've played in bands before and there was nothing better than seeing the people up front getting down. If I had seen people just standing there while I was playing I would've taken it as an insult. Cheers to people that still know how to have fun at a Rock show.

I wasn't at that show, so I'm not going to comment on things I did not experience.

I will say this: I don't drink or use drugs at shows. Personal preference. I have been seeing live music for a long time and honestly I don't have problems with people that do. Many of my friends do. I dance like a fool at Wilco shows, and wait in line many hours so that I can stand at the rail and can sing without doing it someone's ear.

What bothers me is that sometimes when people use drugs and alcohol at shows, normal social courtesies, self awareness and body coordination disappear, and this is especially tricky where there are so many humans crammed in one place. I don't like drinks spilled on me or cigarettes burning my skin. I don't like being fallen on, stepped on or spewed on. I don't like having the same thing screamed in my ear ad nauseum. I just don't like it, and it's going to piss me off regardless of where I am.

Any rationalizations about just "letting loose" or "hey, it's a rock show" or "I don't get out much" are just that. Rationalizing. And like most rationalizing it's making excuses for bad behavior.

If I had seen people just standing there while I was playing I would've taken it as an insult. Cheers to people that still know how to have fun at a Rock show.

And so one either has to be intoxicated and annoying to their neighbors or stand like statues?

I really think there's middle ground to be found here.

I'm not even sure why this discussion has derailed the thread about the previous night's show.

I was so happy they played Ashes of American Flags. I'd requested it at every Wilco show I'd ever gone to, so I was shocked they finally played it. It was even prettier live than I'd imagined it would be. Nels was a bit more restrained on the solo than he was on other live versions I've heard, but it made sense. It seemed like the right moment in the show for a quiet solo rather than an explosive one.

I thought we weren't mentioning that anymore

LOL

That is a good way to get people to stop doing things though - also, there is the finger technique as demonstrated by Sean Connery in the classic film, The Presidio (1988).

And so one either has to be intoxicated and annoying to their neighbors or stand like statues?

I really think there's middle ground to be found here.

I'm all for the middle ground, herein lies the problem...the statues and the dancers aren't finding it.

I am also thinking getting drunk has different effects for each individual. For instance, I am a German, I get jolly and dance, my wife is Scottish, she gets evil. I am starting to believe the drink will soon follow the stoge in terms of regulation if the VietCong had their way.

The particular incidents I have been referring to are us moving around a bit, I really wouldn't call it dancing, then ever so slightly brushing up against someone and I am being totally honest about this. I think some people fear others and their excitement for the band. The point I am failing to make is 'why get into any type of crowd, whether it's rock n' roll or waiting to get into a sports event if you hate people to touch you...it's gonna happen eventually.'

Any rationalizations about just "letting loose" or "hey, it's a rock show" or "I don't get out much" are just that. Rationalizing. And like most rationalizing it's making excuses for bad behavior.

Rationalization is another term for our perception of the situation. As I reflect upon events, I see it through my lens. Now if I am subconsciously altering my perception to protect my ego then you could call that rationalization, as it is a protective mechanism. Many stoners can rationalize days, months, away.

The discussion of why we attend rock concerts used to be universal. We seek meaning through a group experience. We intend to get lost in the moment as the performers manipulate our senses. Perhaps the new crowd, which I am evidently not assimilated to, desires an individual grasp of achievement. They seek digital pictures without others heads in the way, unadulterated bootleg files, 5 minute youtube clips without the floor seemingly bouncing up and down, discussion in the head of who you met from an internet site, etc. And this is why I felt like quitting this scene. Then I realized I belong at a Wilco show just as much as anyone, whether they are a 'cherry ghost' or whatever the top showing of VC experience is. Whether I listened to Jeff and Jay in their garage in Belleville or whether I heard them on a Vdub commercial. So I'll keep my eye on the tour calendar and if you go to show, see if you can watch out for me instead of looking at Pat's lump in his pants and scold me. I don't care...I have rationalized it away...as, say, a stoner would.

LOL

That is a good way to get people to stop doing things though - also, there is the finger technique as demonstrated by Sean Connery in the classic film, The Presidio (1988).

that's great for you normies! its us shorties that it makes it a little tough. since i got rid of the go go gadget boots that is.

So I'll keep my eye on the tour calendar and if you go to show, see if you can watch out for me instead of looking at Pat's lump in his pants and scold me.

I had to pay for one babysiter that night, now two? If you can't take care of yourself, please stay home. Please don't make this into another band I can't go see because people are out of control. I have been that guy before, I have gotten punched in the face, I have got kicked out of shows. I know what it is like on both sides, I would kick my own ass if I saw myself acting like shit head. I never wan't to be that guy ever again. I still drink..............and yet considerate of others. How does that work? It's not that cool being THAT GUY.

I am so glad I was in the balcony that night.................and the free tickets! :worship

Edit:I think we have an offical Wrecking Crew. Lot scene? This is what turned me off to Dead, Further, and Phil tours.

I had to pay for one babysiter that night, now two? If you can't take care of yourself, please stay home. Please don't make this into another band I can't go see because people are out of control. I have been that guy before, I have gotten punched in the face, I have got kicked out of shows. I know what it is like on both sides, I would kick my own ass if I saw myself acting like shit head. I never wan't to be that guy ever again. I still drink..............and yet considerate of others. How does that work? It's not that cool being THAT GUY.

What happened Friday did not warrant face punching and removal by security, it was a couple of brushes from arm to arm. We are aware of 'those' people although, that is still part of a show sometimes and doesn't mean 'that' person is evil or should be executed or that the drink is to blame, merely a contributing factor. Shit, maybe you were going through some things that made you want to let loose when you were 'that' guy. We are all water and dna, etc. have some compassion.

What happened Friday did not warrant face punching and removal by security, it was a couple of brushes from arm to arm.

No, this isn't about a couple of brushes to the arm. This is about a level of obnoxious shrieking that was bad enough to cause the band to stop the show and issue a warning. Bumping into people is one thing that's to be expected at a sold-out show, and I don't recall anyone in this thread complaining about such contact. I was sitting by the sound board, and my complaint (along with that of the sound guys) was 100% with the shrieking.

We are all water and dna, etc. have some compassion.

Perhaps what a lot of people who were at the Friday show would like is some compassion regarding the fact that they had their show experience interrupted by the inconsideration of someone in need of cutting loose.