Who will win Lord Stanley's cup?

Stanley Cup  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the NHL expand?

• Seattle
    • Quebec
    • Las Vegas
    • Toronto

Welcome back Orca, I missed you!!!!!! Let's never be separated again.

Alright well, we do all have the draft to look forward to in a few weeks! And I'm sure there'll be lots of news coming up, a la Toronto tampering-- uhh I mean hiring a new coach.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

Not sure which old hockey thread to dust off but what an amazing finish to the Bruins-Leafs game last night!  Bruins score three goals in the last ten minutes - including two in the last 80 seconds - to tie the game and then score in OT to win.  Craziness ...

Not sure which old hockey thread to dust off but what an amazing finish to the Bruins-Leafs game last night!  Bruins score three goals in the last ten minutes - including two in the last 80 seconds - to tie the game and then score in OT to win.  Craziness ...

No doubt. My brother in CT noted that "our team looks like they all took dramamine before the game" about 5 minutes in, too.....

If you have time - check out this Toronto-fan bulletin board. The link starts right around where Toronto scored to make it 4-1. The mood starts elated, and quickly goes down hill. What a collapse!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=106977&page=50

This Red Wings fan is so happy they get the Blackhawks one last time before the two teams are split into different conferences next year. They won't be playing each other again for a very long time. I'm just happy that I get at least 4 more Wings games to watch this year. Maybe they can steal a couple games, but I expect the Hawks to steamroll them.

Guest Jules
This Red Wings fan is so happy they get the Blackhawks one last time before the two teams are split into different conferences next year. They won't be playing each other again for a very long time.

I thought part of the realignment was that each team will play every other team at least once per year?

I thought part of the realignment was that each team will play every other team at least once per year?

Sorry - meant playoffs. 

Starting next year, (until the inevitable re-alignment - nothing stays the same in the NHL for too long) the only possibility for them to meet in the post-season is to meet in the finals. And while the Hawks are good enough to make it to the finals repeatedly in the near future, the Wings are undoubtedly on the decline.

If you have time - check out this Toronto-fan bulletin board. The link starts right around where Toronto scored to make it 4-1. The mood starts elated, and quickly goes down hill. What a collapse!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=106977&page=50

This Red Wings fan is so happy they get the Blackhawks one last time before the two teams are split into different conferences next year. They won't be playing each other again for a very long time. I'm just happy that I get at least 4 more Wings games to watch this year. Maybe they can steal a couple games, but I expect the Hawks to steamroll them.

Agreed, Winston..

But after a successful 20- year run against the Blackhawks; it seems like the Red Wings are getting saved by the bell in future conference play.  See what a couple of Bowman's and a new Wirtz can do ?!

Red Wings beat the #2 seed ...nice

I think I really started paying attention to the NHL in the late 80s, when games became available on cable. As a kid, the only games that I could get were the local broadcasts of the North Stars. A neighbor of mine was on the 1980 "Miracle" Olympic team, but I remember being way more into H.S. hockey when I was a kid - the MN state tournament was always on TV. 

As a Red Wings fan, (my father is from Detroit, so I grew up liking his teams) I remember starting to follow the Red Wings when Yzerman made the All-Star game as an 18 year old. That was 84-85 I think? Maybe the year before? I remember bits from the 80s Dead Things, like Probert, Gerard Gallant, Klima, divisional playoffs (wish they would return to that format - I love the old Norris division). And then when they snuck Fedorov away from the Russian team, helped him defect, and then got Lidstrom and Konstantinov the following year - that was the beginning of their postseason streak that's still going.

I find that I only occasionally watch a game in the regular season. But I watch almost every playoff game - regardless of who's playing. Stanley Cup playoffs are the best. 

Norris Division  and Campbell conference , too.    Playoff hockey intensity is great: Awesome that Ottawa is still in it.

lol , MN H.S. hockey State Championship probably has a Decent annual TV audience . .

As a Rangers fan, Pittsburgh-hating is de riguer. Detroit just kind of annoys me. They are like the Yankees of hockey.

Pretty sure Montreal is the NY Yankees of hockey. Detroit is the St. Louis Cardinals of hockey. Maple Leafs=Cubs.

When I go to a Blackhawks game, (and I've only been to maybe 4-5 total), I always dream of being able to get a DINO SUCKS chant going, like the good old days. I wonder how many fans remember the DINO SUCKS days...

ciccarelli-thumb-250x326-14253-thumb-250

Tonight I've got the retro Wings sweater at the ready, the white pants to complete the outfit, planning on a double cheeseburger from Au cheval for the pre-game festivities. Very psyched for the game tonight

The Blackhawks are so much better in every category than the Red Wings, except in best individual player, which I say is Datsyuk. But he wasn't a factor last night.

Kind of a sloppy game the first two periods - no good scoring chances for the Wings, a couple for the Blackhawks. But then Chicago opened it up in the 3rd by taking advantage on terrible breakdowns on Detroit defence. 

If Detroit can't earn a split in these first two games (and that is a tall order), this series is done in 5 at the most. I'm predicting Chicago takes both home games, gets a split in Detroit, then wraps up at home. 

UNLESS, Babcock can outsmart Quenneville, and get his players to play a perfect positional game, and Detroit gets lucky, and Howard plays out of his skull, then...