Anyone ever see these earlier musical legends in conert?

I always wondered what it was like to see these legends in concerts. I know there are some people who may have had opportunities and I wonder what it was like..any stories would be fun to hear.

Any get to see..

The Beatles

Early Rolling Stones

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

Early REM, U2 or The Cure

Woodstock

Elvis

Miles Davis

Others?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered what it was like to see these legends in concerts. I know there are some people who may have had opportunities and I wonder what it was like..any stories would be fun to hear.

Any get to see..

The Beatles

Early Rolling Stones

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

Woodstock

Elvis

Miles Davis

Others?

86 REM Richmond 87 U2 Hampton Coliseum

Calling LouieB...!

I saw U2 on the Joshua Tree tour (1987 -- Rosemont Horizon). Is that early enough?

It was my first "real" concert and it was a pretty amazing show. Bono's posing and posturing had yet to become a parody of itself and it made for a pretty powerful show.

Also, not sure if it counts but:

Pixies 1989 at The Blue Note: Columbia, MO.

Probably not legendary enough?

Television

1992 reunion show at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis, MO.

Guitar playing like I have never seen and will most-like never see again. Richard Lloyd literally tore the strings off of his guitar at the end of the show. (At the end of "Call Mr. Lee.) Just... wow.

So any of these qualify?

rem 1985 radio city music hall nyc (mumblin' mike w/long hair)

u2 1982 the ritz nyc (st. paddy's day)

Those are some sweet shows (If only I had a time machine!) ...tell me about what you remember..any songs, crowd, anything that stuck out?

same as Mart -

REM on the Murmurs tour in 83 (?) really small club called Larry's Hideaway that no longer exists. Didn't really know who the band was. Saw them again on the Reckoning tour up at Canada's Wonderland (Stipe had long hair) and then in 85 (Stipe had short hair). Met the band for extended periods both of the '84 and '85 times.

U2 - October tour. It was friggin crowded. I was next to CNN's John 'JD' Roberts as he interviewed the band. Think this was at the El Mo, but I might be wrong. JD also had long hair.

all the others are too early for me.

I was next to CNN's John 'JD' Roberts as he interviewed the band. Think this was at the El Mo, but I might be wrong. JD also had long hair.

You're taking me back to the days of the New Music on CityTV. That was a good show for quite a few years.

i saw muddy waters in 1978, that was pretty legendary

and got to smoke weed with him, which was even better

and got to watch pinetop perkins goof around on the piano before the show

& did see REM with the Feelies opening, probably in 1984? and a few other times during their mid-1980s heydey before they started sucking beyond description

i saw muddy waters in 1978, that was pretty legendary

and got to smoke weed with him, which was even better

:worship

I got to smoke with Aston "Family Man" Barrett - original bassist of Bob Marley and The Wailers. That was fantastic..

Guest Cousin Tupelo

Any get to see..

The Beatles

Early Rolling Stones

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

Woodstock

Elvis

Miles Davis

Others?

Saw REM on campus at U of I in 83.

I not only saw Chuck Berry in 1987, I interviewed him for newspaper.

Not sure if these necessarily qualify as musical legends but......

Helmet......their first couple tours thru Chicago, late 80s or early 90s, at Metro. Those were some heavy, almost out of control shows.

Soundgarden......again, their first tour in Chicago (89?) at Metro. They sucked. I think Mudhoney opened for them too.

Smashing Pumpkins, many times at Metro in their early years.

Atari Teenage Riot, super late show at Metro, 1996

Cibo Mato's first tour, they opened for Boss Hog, again at Metro, 1994ish.

Liz Phairs really big show for the Guyville release, Metro, 1993. She seemed scared.

Lady Miss Keir, her 'jungle' phase at Metro, 97? No "Groove is in the Heart"!?!

Afghan Whigs, Buffalo Tom, Betty Seveirt, Tortoise, Breeders........all at Metro in the 90s.....

I just realized.....I think Joe Shanahan owes me a drink or two for all the bucks I spent in his club over the years.

Pixies twice in 1989 (City Gardens, Trenton, NJ & Lancaster, PA) Still have a handwritten setlist & drumstick from the Trenton show stashed away somewhere. The opening band for the Lancaster show was Live (but before they were called live; I think they were called Public Affection) - it must've been a big deal for them 'cos I remember their parents were there.

Also, this doesn't really count but I'll mention it anyway. A former colleague I used to work with was in a late 70's-early 80's art rock band called Bunnydrums. On one of their tours, REM opened for them.

I saw Miles at Clowes Hall in Indy around '86/'87. 3rd row DFC. He was near the end, of course, but that band was certainly smokin' - Robben Ford on guitar was a real motherfucker (to use one of Mr. Davis' highest compliments).

Um, well I saw the Dave Matthews Band play a show in Charlottesville, VA before anybody probably outside of the state had heard of them. In retrospect, what I perceived as "up and coming" was, in actuality, "already peaking and about to go downhill". :hmm Who knew?

Due to my unfortunate case of being born in 1987 I haven't seen anyone like that in concert. I've made it my mission to see Dylan though. In fact, due to growing up in a small, northern Canadian town, I've only seen a few concerts. However, one of those concerts was Wilco and in 30 years I'll be able to say "yeah, I saw Wilco live, saw 'em sound check too..." and people will gasp. Until then....

Saw Zappa and Miles in the '80s, both in '88, I think.

Saw Zappa in '79 or '80. Caught Dizzy Gillespie in '81 or '82 in New Haven.

Um, well I saw the Dave Matthews Band play a show in Charlottesville, VA before anybody probably outside of the state had heard of them. In retrospect, what I perceived as "up and coming" was, in actuality, "already peaking and about to go downhill". :hmm Who knew?

Used to see him every now and again in late 80s in Charlottesville, too. Traxx.

I was born late as well, but....

Supertramp in '79

Van Halen in '79

The Who in '79 and '86 (Kenny...no Keith)

Rush and Max Webster '79 and '80

Simple Minds in '83 or '84

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays in '85

Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger in '85

Other shows I saw in Montreal are a little fuzzy....too much hash. I saw Offenbach and UFO in '80 I think, and Rough Trade's final show in '86. I remember another big show vaguely, Cheap Trick maybe.

I've seen many others including Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Ray Charles, Bruce Cockburn...but not in their prime.

Any get to see..

The Beatles

Early Rolling Stones

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

Woodstock

Elvis

Miles Davis

Others?

Of these...only Miles Davis, but not in his early days. I was 19 the summer of Woodstock and in Ohio. I have seen other dead legends though. Trying to remember who I have seen and what it was like sounds kinda boring, but yea, I have seen all sorts of jazz, blues, rock and a few country legends. I have seen any number of folk musicians. '

In the old days some of these guys didn't tour all that much either, not like musicians do now. Over the years I have talked about many of these experiences, but talking about them out of context doesn't seem all that interesting. Does seeing the Stones in the mid-70s count, with the star stage and Billy Preston on keyboards??? See I told you it was sort of dull.

LouieB

late 70s - early 80s

Zappa (twice)

The Who

Jeff Beck

The Rolling Stones

The Blues Brothers

Bruce Springsteen

Joe Walsh

Van Halen

More recently

Wanda Jackson do one song with Elvis Costello

Ringo

Itzhak Perlman

Tony Bennett

Willie Nelson

Prince

Bob Dylan

Wilco

Guest Cousin Tupelo
late 70s - arly 80s

Zappa (twice)

The Who

I saw the Who twice in '82. Also saw Farm Aid II in Champaign, IL, with about 50+ acts including Dylan, Young, Cash, and Van Halen's first gig with Sammy Hagar at the end of the evening. Saw Stones in Jacksonville in '89 I think.

I saw Zappa three times and the late Who once (my biggest regret is not seeing them in the day...) back when they toured with Ringo's son and did Quadrophienia. Despite everyone having heard these stories a million times....Dylan and The Band in 1974 at the Chicago Stadium and George Harrison, same place (Rolling Stones the same place also.)

LouieB