It is sad today

In memory of our lovely Natalie Jane, known here on VC as Saint Genevieve, this thread is a place for posting memories.

Following the last extemely divisive election, Natalie started a thread called Let's put our heads together, and start a new country up. I loved her before, but after this post, I worshipped her as my leader:

Given the news, I have decided to secede from the United States and form the Republic of Nat, or Natopia. You are all welcome to join me.

Our national anthem is the REM song quoted in the title of this thread. Our patron saint is Rufus T. Firefly.

groucho2.gif

Some basic ground rules in Natopia:

Tinfoil is the basic currency. The more oddly colored the tinfoil, the more it's worth. Sculptures are worth more than flat tinfoil.

Universal health care! I will provide health care free of charge. Any doctor who becomes a citizen of Natopia will be paid in tinfoil.

Any consenting adult can marry any other consenting adult, except for parents and kids because that's getting a little too creepy even for me. :blink: People may also marry inanimate objects if they so desire. For instance, you may marry your collection of Wilco bootlegs.

Cadbury Creme Eggs will be available all year round! (We'll export them from England if we must.)

We will never pre-emptively strike another country. If we hear that citizens of the United States are planning to screw over our favorite band for royalties, we will wait till the contract is signed before sending in an elite squad of entertainment lawyers.

Jim O'Rourke's entire catalogue will be available in EVERY record store (even the ones in the mall).

Natopia is a benevolent dictatorship. I am absolute ruler, but I am extremely wishy-washy and can be easily swayed if, perhaps, you find an extra-rare color of tinfoil or discover a Jim O'Rourke record I've never heard of. And if you don't like it, you can always start your own country!

Please check out the pinned threads up above, and think about doing something today that would make Natalie happy: making a contribution to one of the charities listed, or making a tinfoil sculpture for someone, or singing a pretty song, or listening to a Jim O'Rourke record, or just being a hilarious bad-ass.

Love you, Nat. :cheekkiss

Happy birthday Natalie. You talked my ear off that one afternoon in SF in front of the Fillmore, and I never tired of hearing your sweet voice. I hope your travels have been amazing, though I admit we miss you tremendously around these parts.

Safe travels sweet sister. :cheekkiss

Earlier this year at the Hotel S 'n' S basement show, Dreamin' Judy requested "Always in Love" in Natalie's honor. From the link below you can hear the dedication and the song (and the encouragement to throw in a little profanity.) ;) May I suggest you join us in singing along loudly if you're listening at home?

http://www.superschein.com/sneakpeak/AlwaysinLoveNJ.wav

Happy birthday, Nat. Things aren't the same without you.

2176220997_73fc3790d3.jpg

I never got to meet Natalie in person, but I do feel that I knew her. She seemed to have a razor-sharp wit that i always found refreshing.

And...Rufus T. Firefly as a patron saint? :wub I could not agree more.

I never got the chance to meet Nat in person and I didn't know her very well on VC other than talking about Ann Arbor a couple of times. I wish I would have had the chance to get to know her better. She touched the lives of so many great people and I know she is missed very much.

Earlier this year at the Hotel S 'n' S basement show, Dreamin' Judy requested "Always in Love" in Natalie's honor. From the link below you can hear the dedication and the song (and the encouragement to throw in a little profanity.) ;) May I suggest you join us in singing along loudly if you're listening at home?

http://www.superschein.com/sneakpeak/AlwaysinLoveNJ.wav

Thanks, B. "Always in Love" sums up everything Nat was about and it's a fitting tribute.

"You know I won't forget"

Nat was only in my life for a very short time, but she left a huge footprint in my heart.

It is sad today. Hopefully, we one day will meet at the Great VC Meetup in the Sky. :hug

i opened vc today to see that we had become, for a brief time, Natopia. And i cried. Natalie would be pleased with all the activity in the politics thread (and probably pretty out of her tree on the whole Sarah Palin issue) and all the babies we've been blessed with this year, and she'd be worried about Lilly and Skyflynn's bottom would be bruised from all the pinching.

I hope her bed peeing kitty and her little sugar glider are thinking of her this weekend, wherever they are.

Golf.JPG

Golf.JPG

:wub I love these people.

I came home from work one day to my wife telling me I needed to return an urgent message from someone on Via Chicago. I hadn't been around VC much and wondered what was up. It turns out Jen and Ben had left a message so I wouldn't learn of Nat's death at 4am on some random day and have nobody or nowhere to turn.

While there is no way to make that kind of news anything but tragic, learning about it when I had support of family and friends made it more bearable. I can never thank them enough for their kindness.

These are the people that make this place, for me, more than a message board. In their grief, they thought of someone other than themselves.

Natalie, I loved your concept of Natopia but I never realized I was already a citizen until we lost our leader.

When I just logged in and saw that banner I got a bit choked up. A very sweet thing to do. No other board I frequent has this sense of family.

And...I LOVE that pic of Evonne, Nat and Ben. Looks like Ben and Nat are well on the way to drinking MsY under the table. :lol