Congrats to President-Elect OBAMA

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to it. I am sure that we'd have a hell of a time making like the Curmudgeon God H. L. Mencken.

Oh hell yes. :thumbup

I didn't watch the Obama Show. I don't like political commercials, no matter how long or what the production value is. I DID, however, watch "Choice 2008" the Frontline special on the election. Very good stuff if you haven't seen it. I highly recommend it.

I just watched Sarah Palin give her stump rhetoric on live TV. Every time I listen to her, I am struck by how eagerly and simplistically she divides the country into Us and Them, and then frames our national discourse as a battle that must be won by destroying Them. There's something surreal about listening to her try to inspire confidence and enthusiasm by sowing division and fear. Worse, I feel that Palin is utterly, strangely (refreshingly?) transparent about how she, if elected, intends to leave me and my concerns behind, because I'm one of Them, and therefore not a true American, and therefore not a true constituent. In fact, I am more likely seen as a force that must be defeated by Real Americans, not won over.

Say what you will about Obama's slick infomercial, but at least the driving theme was one of working together, not turning against one another.

I just watched Sarah Palin give her stump rhetoric on live TV. Every time I listen to her, I am struck by how eagerly and simplistically she divides the country into Us and Them, and then frames our national discourse as a battle that must be won by destroying Them. There's something surreal about listening to her try to inspire confidence and enthusiasm by sowing division and fear. Worse, I feel that Palin is utterly, strangely (refreshingly?) transparent about how she, if elected, intends to leave me and my concerns behind, because I'm one of Them, and therefore not a true American, and therefore not a true constituent. In fact, I am more likely seen as a force that must be defeated by Real Americans, not won over.

Say what you will about Obama's slick infomercial, but at least the driving theme was one of working together, not turning against one another.

Well said. I used to feel Obama's theme was shared by McCain in the pre-Palin-as-Veep world. :(

p_report.gif

go to youtube, right now, bring up the a-team opening, then go to imdb and look up who played starbuck on battlestar gallactica and then just bask in the glow of the pop culture crossover.

a friend in my hometown, Tyson Niewoehner, was Dirk Benedict's (Dirk Niewoehner) nephew... no lie

never got to meet him sadly though :(

I found the Obama infomercial very moving. Of course I am a true believer so that would figure. But at least his rhetoric is very warm and fuzzy and is centered around uniting the country rather than tearing it apart any further. (no mention of his opponents at all.) I said in another posting somewhere in this mess that after the election the rhetoric will change (just as Clinton made nice with Obama last night) and McCain will be conciliatory and nice about Barack after tearing him a new one each day. But I think it is going to be pretty difficult for Palin to back down from her frenzy after really being the most negative of them all. I think she really believes her rhetoric about there being people and places that are more American than others. Seeing her parade Joe the Plumber around is a total freak show.

LouieB

I just had the pleasure of hearing two people talking politics in my photo studio.

Guy #1: So, do you think Palin's going to go to Hollywood after this election is over?

Guy #2: She can't do that when she's sitting in the White House.

Guy #1: Do you still think they're going to win?

Guy #2: I think they have a good chance.

Guy #1: But if they don't, do you think Palin will run for president next time?

Guy #2: I certainly hope so. I hope you'll do the right thing on Tuesday.

Now, even though I'm most definitely an Obama supporter, if someone tells me they're voting for McCain because they agree with his policies or his stance on moral issues, I would never argue with that. I know that many people do not share my beliefs, and I have no right to attack them because of their legitimate concerns, just like they have no right to attack me. But the idea that someone I know is not only supporting McCain but actually taking pride in Palin and hoping she becomes president one day makes my blood pressure rise. It's a good thing I had headphones on....I had the volume off but it didn't look like I was listening to their conversation.

a friend in my hometown, Tyson Niewoehner, was Dirk Benedict's (Dirk Niewoehner) nephew... no lie

never got to meet him sadly though :(

That's his real name???? Suddenly he doesn't seem so hot. :lol

Considering major portions of republicans acknowledge that putting her on the ticket killed any chance

McCain had of winning, I'd say the spin on her being around for 2012 is just lip service. If they don't

make her seem like she's got legs (the metaphorical kind) they'd be just mailing the election in. I'm sure

the post election spin will place the blame for the rout squarely on her shoulders and she'll slink back

to Alaska and not be heard from again. One can hope, at least.

I found the Obama infomercial very moving. Of course I am a true believer so that would figure. But at least his rhetoric is very warm and fuzzy and is centered around uniting the country rather than tearing it apart any further. (no mention of his opponents at all.) I said in another posting somewhere in this mess that after the election the rhetoric will change (just as Clinton made nice with Obama last night) and McCain will be conciliatory and nice about Barack after tearing him a new one each day. But I think it is going to be pretty difficult for Palin to back down from her frenzy after really being the most negative of them all. I think she really believes her rhetoric about there being people and places that are more American than others. Seeing her parade Joe the Plumber around is a total freak show.

LouieB

Clinton joins Obama at Central Florida rally

''I worked hard to bring you back into the Democratic fold,'' Clinton told the crowd, referring to his 1992 and 1996 victories. `It`s time to come back again so we can move America forward.''

''We all wish that the last eight years looked a lot more like the eight years we had when Bill Clinton was in the White House,'' Obama said.
Considering major portions of republicans acknowledge that putting her on the ticket killed any chance

McCain had of winning, I'd say the spin on her being around for 2012 is just lip service. If they don't

make her seem like she's got legs (the metaphorical kind) they'd be just mailing the election in. I'm sure

the post election spin will place the blame for the rout squarely on her shoulders and she'll slink back

And I think most people, no matter who they're voting for, agree with you. That's why it's especially shocking to hear someone HOPING she runs for president.

Now, even though I'm most definitely an Obama supporter, if someone tells me they're voting for McCain because they agree with his policies or his stance on moral issues, I would never argue with that. I know that many people do not share my beliefs, and I have no right to attack them because of their legitimate concerns, just like they have no right to attack me. But the idea that someone I know is not only supporting McCain but actually taking pride in Palin and hoping she becomes president one day makes my blood pressure rise. It's a good thing I had headphones on....I had the volume off but it didn't look like I was listening to their conversation.

It is, I think, perfectly acceptable to call these sorts of voters, voters who vote for and support candidates that claim to posses solutions to imaginary problems, ex.

I'd like to think so, but I think this is the evangelical right. They are going to continue to push the idea that if you are not one of them, they will not vote for the ticket and the GOP is screwed. They will try to paint the election as McCain not having the support of the base and it was only Palin that kept it from being embarrassing (assuming it isn't embarrassing).

marciagayharden.jpg

I think all this talk of Palin running for President in 2012 is based on the assumption that she will remain:

A. Free of scandals in Alaska or fallout from existing scandals

B. That she will be re-elected Governor in 2010.

C. She's actually accomplished anything in office over the next 2-4 years.

A is questionable (given Troopergate and who knows what other ethics violations that haven't come to light yet), B is even in doubt (her approval rating has fallen 30 points since being tapped for VP), and C is also in doubt.

From Salon:

Columnist: If you vote for Obama, you're going to hell

Still can't choose between John McCain and Barack Obama? Well, good news -- WorldNetDaily's Janet Porter has just made your decision much easier. Porter's latest column warns that a vote for Obama is irreconcilable with the Christian faith, and that those who do choose to vote Democratic this year have a terrible punishment awaiting them.

"To all those who name the name of Christ who plan to willfully disobey Him by voting for Obama, take warning. Not only is our nation in grave danger, according to the Word of God, so are you," Porter wrote.

What kind of danger are so many of us in? The really bad kind:

Be forewarned: If you willfully disobey God on life and marriage because of race or false hope for the economy, you will usher in the kind of change that brought the Soviet Union to collapse.

But the warning goes far beyond that. To those who think that God's grace gives them license to willfully disobey Him without consequences