MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ou played 1st Base in highschool, didn't you? Scooping a ball is not that hard - with the large scoop glove, all it takes is a calculated swipe. I will say that footwork is VERY important for a first baseman, but that can be learned very quickly. The proper footwork includes which foot should be on the bag depending on where the throw is coming from and proper footwork also includes learning a good stretch - all which are relatively easy to learn. Fielding bunts is moot - the pitcher covers alot of the right side of the infield and if the ball does get to the first baseman it is an easy underhand throw - unlike the barehand, off-balance throw from a full on sprint that the third baseman has to make (yes, I played 3rd). Coverling the line falls into the 3rd baseman's realm. The majority of batters are right-handed and their line shots go down the left field line, not the right field line. In addition, the majority of the time the first baseman plays off the bag, giving him much more time to field any grounder coming his way. Although this can also be said for the 2nd baseman, as he often play shallow right. As far as going into the stands - I argue that a second baseman, with their great range make more of those catches down the line near the stands. And the 3-6-3 DP is no harder than the 2-3-2 DP and almost as rare.

No, I was a pitcher. I played all he way through college.

And the 3-6-3 DP is no harder than the 2-3-2 DP and almost as rare

You couldn't be more wrong about this. The fact that you wrote it puts your credibility as a baseball player in question. Do you know that "2-3-2" means catcher to first to catcher? It a) isn't that hard for a catcher and first baseman and B) and is much more rare than a 3-6-3, which means "first-to short-to first". Ask anybody who knows anything about the game, or who has played it past little league. A 3-6-3 has a chance to happen in any game where a runner gets on first.

Fielding bunts is moot - the pitcher covers alot of the right side of the infield and if the ball does get to the first baseman it is an easy underhand throw - unlike the barehand, off-balance throw from a full on sprint that the third baseman has to make (yes, I played 3rd).

Once again, your clueless. If the pitcher is covering the 3B side, as they usually do, the first baseman must charge the ball at full speed, which takes them much further from 1b than an "underhand toss". (the bases are 90 feet away on the big boy field) And when they do field the ball, they have to spin towards first and make an accurate throw without hitting the runner in the back, and usually to a secondbaseman who is running towards first, making it a very difficult throw.

unlike the barehand, off-balance throw from a full on sprint that the third baseman has to make (yes, I played 3rd). Covering the line falls into the 3rd baseman's realm.

You must have been a pretty shitty 3rd baseman, because most decent 3-baggers know when a batter is in a bunt situation with a runner on first (you see, with a runner on 2nd, the pitcher would probably cover that side of the field), play in, and field the ball cleanly and make the throw. You rarely see an off-balance, diving play on a bunt, unless the player was taken by surprise. A chopper or slow grounder, yes, but rarely on a bunt.

I want every player in the league to have a chest X-Ray, and whoever has the largest heart should win. Bam.

Either that or an algorithm based on percentage of salary donated, number of clothing items with team's insignia owned, amount of team dinner parties hosted, as well as heart size.

I'm coming to this late and it will probably already be discussed, but a chest xray wouldn't show how big someone's heart was. You'd really need, I think, a contrast MRI or CT scan. Is there a radiologist in the house?

I'm coming to this late and it will probably already be discussed, but a chest xray wouldn't show how big someone's heart was. You'd really need, I think, a contrast MRI or CT scan.

Good point! Score one for the Red Sox!!

Next Tuesday at Noon I'll be on WRGP Panther Sports Talk Live doing a Hot Stove segment. I'll keep you updated.

This will be tomorrow at noon. I'll be talking Marlins hot stove at first, and we'll see what we get to from there.