MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have have never heard Peter Gammons say Dustin Pedroia is a Boston Red Sox....Red Sock sure

again splitting hairs but I think I got ya this round, I upset you.... its like a 15 over a 2 in the Dance

Not splitting hairs when one is wrong and one is correct.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

It does sound wrong; doesn't mean it is.

Well, they're idiots. What can I say?

I have have never heard Peter Gammons say Dustin Pedroia is a Boston Red Sox....Red Sock sure

Well, shit, I didn't know Peter Gammons had an angle on this.

I'm in the "Sox" camp.

It's definitely awkward either way, and I try to avoid calling a player a 'Red Sock' at any cost, but if it came down to it - and you could not say "player" - you would really say (for argument's sake) "Dave Stapleton is the greatest Red Sox in team history"?

It's definitely awkward either way, and I try to avoid calling a player a 'Red Sock' at any cost, but if it came down to it - and you could not say "player" - you would really say (for argument's sake) "Dave Stapleton is the greatest Red Sox in team history"?

I don't know enough about the history of the organization to make such a judgment.

Official: K-Rod to Mets: 3 yr./$37 M.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3756383

I can live with the contract, but I dont love the signing. I am arguing with other Mets fans right now who think he is the greatest reliever since Dennis Eckersley. I remember someone posted stats of something like 10 relievers last year without names and without save totals? And it was impossible to pick K-Rod out? Does anyone still have that? Or know where I can find it? Would help me win the stupid fight I am in. Thanks.

That was MrRain:

Just for fun, let's compare 6 relief pitchers this season:

Pitcher 1: 65 IP, 2.08 ERA, 73 K, 7 BB, 0.92 WHIP

Pitcher 2: 66 1/3 IP, 1.49 ERA, 73 K, 6 BB, 0.71 WHIP

Pitcher 3: 65 1/3 IP, 1.65 ERA, 64 K, 16 BB, 0.83 WHIP

Pitcher 4: 65 IP, 2.35 ERA, 74 K, 34 BB, 1.34 WHIP

Pitcher 5: 85 1/3 IP, 2.32 ERA, 88 K, 37 BB, 1.15 WHIP

Pitcher 6: 62 1/3 IP, 1.44 ERA, 68 K, 17 BB, 0.95 WHIP

One of these guys is being considered a strong candidate for the AL Cy Young Award this year, and is even being touted by some as an MVP candidate.

If you chose Pitcher #4, the one with the highest WHIP and relatively unimpressive K/BB ratio and ERA, then you are right. Fortunately, pitcher #4 (Francisco Rodriguez) has a lot of "saves" so he's apparently a much better pitcher than the other guys (1: Jonathan Papelbon, 2: Mariano Rivera, 3: Joakim Soria, 5: J.P. Howell , 6: Joe Nathan) who were all more dominant this year. Howell isn't even a closer but had arguably a better season, and there were a number of non-closers I could have used just as well (Matt Thornton, Scott Downs, Grant Balfour, Jesse Carlson, Rafael Perez, etc. etc).

I'm sure most of you don't care about VORP, but for what it's worth, here are the relief pitchers with a higher VORP than K-Rod this season:

Mariano Rivera

Scott Downs

Joe Nathan

Joakim Soria

Brad Ziegler

Hong-Chih Kuo

J.P Howell

Grant Balfour

Brad Lidge

Jim Johnson

Carlos Marmol

Jose Arredondo

Matt Thornton

Ryan Madson

Ramon Ramirez

Corey Wade

John Grabow

Jesse Carlson

Chad Durbin

Mike Adams

Joba Chamberlain and Justin Masterston had a better VORP too, but I can't find a way to sort out just their relief appearances so I left them off the list, as I don't know how much of that came from their time as starters.

K-Rod was 6th in Win Probability Added (among relievers) for his "magical" 2008 season. Behind the likes of Kerry Wood and Bobby Jenks.

Edit: Carlos Marmol, not Wood. Sorry.

I can live with the contract, but I dont love the signing. I am arguing with other Mets fans right now who think he is the greatest reliever since Dennis Eckersley. I remember someone posted stats of something like 10 relievers last year without names and without save totals? And it was impossible to pick K-Rod out? Does anyone still have that? Or know where I can find it? Would help me win the stupid fight I am in. Thanks.

what worries me about K Rod is his velocity, he was only hitting 91-92 late in the year, his slider is awesome but that velocity needs to get better, also those mechanics have always worried me but he has held up this long, he is worth the risk though and the Mets REALLY need a closer

I might be alone here but I think Marmol is going to dominate in 2009 as the closer and I think Samardzija could become a very good set up guy

Yeah. We need a closer, and that's what K-Rod is. A better option than Hoffman or Wood, I would suppose, but you never know until the spaghetti hits the water.

he can still get outs if he is only hitting 91-92 but he would obviously rather be able to hit 95ish....I still think he would do really well with the Mets, the NL hasnt seen him much either so I think he would have a good year in 09, probably 45 saves or so

loss of velocity isn't necessarily bad or an indication of anything wrong.

It usually is.

And yeah, 3 years, 37 million isn't as absurd as I thought it would be, but I still really don't think this is a move that makes the Mets all that much better. A closer isn't what that team needs.

And just looking at his season last year makes me really mad. 3rd fucking place in the Cy Young and 6th in the MVP for 68 fucking innings? Less than an inning per appearance? 1.3 whip?