MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he had 2 bad post-seasons for them, 1 ok one, and one good one. In the good one, he had as many ABs as the other three combined.

And his stats for the final four games of the ALCS 2004:

GAME 4:

AB: 5

R: 1

H: 1

RBI: 2

BB: 1

SO: 1

BA: .368

GAME 5:

AB: 4

R: 0

H: 0

RBI: 0

BB: 2

SO: 2

BA: .304

GAME 6:

H: 1

BA: .296

GAME 7:

H: 0

BA: .258

Incorrect. It is almost always necessarily bad or an indication of something wrong (whether that's an injury or just getting older). Some pitchers have the mojo to adjust, but those pitchers are rare, and even still, I wouldn't say that makes a loss of velocity not necessarily bad. Having to change the way you pitch if you are a successful pitcher would be a bad thing in my mind.

In other words, it's not necessarily bad or an indication of something wrong.

It usually is.

And yeah, 3 years, 37 million isn't as absurd as I thought it would be, but I still really don't think this is a move that makes the Mets all that much better. A closer isn't what that team needs.

And just looking at his season last year makes me really mad. 3rd fucking place in the Cy Young and 6th in the MVP for 68 fucking innings? Less than an inning per appearance? 1.3 whip?

Look, man, I know it is not in your interest to see the Mets succeed, but saying we don't need a closer seems absurd on its face. So why don't you start with the sabermetrics to prove the Amazins really need a power-hitting left-handed first baseman who fields like he is Boris Karloff in "The Mummy"?

should their be a salary cap? Sure...but the Rays proved last year if you are a small market team and you are smart you can contend....you don't need Yankee money to contend

they won't compete long though when their players leave for more money.

they won't compete long though when their players leave for more money.

Somewhat true....the Marlins have done a good job contending with no money, just gut your team every few years and get the farm for guys and start over, they are doing the best a franchise like that can, two world series rings is ok

You're right, his teammates should have been getting on base ahead of him a lot more.

so did he come through every time with guys on base? I dont see that stat anywhere, I think someone with more free time should utilize a google search and find out that out, what his ARod's avg with RISP in the post season? Im sure its awesome :thumbup

Yes, it is possible to succeed as a small market team. However, if you want to be a perennial contender (Angels, Red Sox, Yankees are probably the best examples right now, but also Cardinals a few years ago and the Braves before that), then you probably need to spend money. Spending money does not guarantee success and not spending much does not guarantee failure. Basically, anything a small market team can do personnel wise (draft and scout well), a big market team can do too. There are some things (signing premium free agents, extending players with big contracts, taking on big contracts via trade) that big market teams can do and small market teams can't or won't. Sometimes the big market teams do not parlay these advantages into on the field success.

At the same time, there are some small market teams that seem to underspend and cheat the fans.

Look, man, I know it is not in your interest to see the Mets succeed, but saying we don't need a closer seems absurd on its face. So why don't you start with the sabermetrics to prove the Amazins really need a power-hitting left-handed first baseman who fields like he is Boris Karloff in "The Mummy"?

They need middle relief help more than anything. Starting pitching is 2nd on the list. Tossing a bunch of money for the last three outs is pointless if you can't get the first 24.

Also, you probably will need another first baseman before long. I remember very recently, every Mets fan in the world was bitching and moaning about his 2 month slump. I'd also be slightly worried about my LF production.

Hopefully, it will be Fernando Martinez time soon.