MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

Well, he's probably looking at these kinds of numbers for arbitration years 4-5-6 (comps would be Brandon Phillips, Utley, and Ian Kinsler):

$4.5m-$6.5m-$9m

So basically, they are paying him 20 million for his first two years of free agency.

It's probably not a great deal or a terrible deal. Not a steal for either side, so I guess they both win.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it amusing that the Yanks' offer to CC topped Johan Santana's deal in both total and avg per year, and they offered it on the first day of the free agency period, and apparently, it's been complete radio silence from the Sabathia camp. I know this is a Boras-managed project so who knows what the reason is. I just love that the Yanks strut their way into the process, put up an insane offer, and are forced to sit and wait.

The Giants really needed bats but I agree they overpaid for Renteria, a friend of mines little brother played with one of their prospetcs (Connor Gillaspie) in high school

They have such a surplus of starting pitching, You just arent going to score much when guys like Aaron Rowland are expected to carry the lineup, Im surprised they arent shopping Matt Cain for a bat

Yeah, but it's only 2 years, so they at least learned that much.

Apparently the Tigers/Pirates deal is actually not close to done.

I don't know that Wilson is who we need. His defense is average at best. I'd rather have a bonafide gold glover and give up some offense. Wilson just doesn't really stand out in any phase of the game. I heard there is some interest in Adam Everett.

Hall of Famer?

:shifty

First ballot, and I tried to f him up with black magic circa 1999 or so.

I don't know that Wilson is who we need. His defense is average at best. I'd rather have a bonafide gold glover and give up some offense. Wilson just doesn't really stand out in any phase of the game. I heard there is some interest in Adam Everett.

Supposedly the deal would be Wilson for Jeff Larish or Matt Joyce. I don't care about Larish, but I really like Joyce and think he could have a really good future so I'm not sure if I like the idea of them giving him up for a middling shortstop, but the hole at short is harder to fill than the one in left field, so we'll see.

Yeah, you never know but still: what a shitty trade if it goes down.

For the Reds, right? It's shitty for the Reds because they gave up a 23 year old starting pitcher who is like one shit season removed from being a top prospect for a 35 year old.